2018 Mustang Ecoboost Automatic Transmission Issue

Ashleyh7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Automatic
I recently purchased a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Automatic. I noticed whenever I am coming to a complete stop under ten miles per hour, the car seems to slightly lunge forward and the rpm gauge increases slightly. My brakes work fine. Is this normal for this Mustang or is there an issue?
Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'd say, to some extent it's normal, as long as it's a "slight" lunge. On my GT with the automatic, sometimes as I slow down I can feel it downshift with a slight surge or lunge. In Normal drive mode it's very mild, but it's more pronounced in Sport or Track driving modes.

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
I also think it is normal, like Zathras said, mine does this also to some extent, but once fully warmed up it does not do the lunge, surge, IMO, these cars with the 10 spds, take a LONG time to warm up! the tranny has that super big radiator right up front, and even with active shutters, ( mine is a base GT) my commute is 25 miles, and it maybe gets to 125- 135* F When on longer drives, it'll get up to 180*F or so.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I recently purchased a 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Automatic. I noticed whenever I am coming to a complete stop under ten miles per hour, the car seems to slightly lunge forward and the rpm gauge increases slightly. My brakes work fine. Is this normal for this Mustang or is there an issue?
It is just transmission downshifting to 1st gear and not being very smooth with it. Feels same on 10A in F150 that my wife drives.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
How many miles are on your 2018?

The reason for the question is, the new 10R80 is an adaptive learning transmission. It takes some miles for it to learn driving style as well as most common drive mode being used (Normal vs Sport). The clunkiness is normal for the first few 1000 miles or so, it tapers off.

The “learned” can be “re-learned” by disconnecting the battery for about 10-15mins, then it will relearn.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ashleyh7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the response. I have 420 miles on my mustang.

OP
OP

Ashleyh7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
It is just transmission downshifting to 1st gear and not being very smooth with it. Feels same on 10A in F150 that my wife drives.
Thank you for the response!

OP
OP

Ashleyh7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
I also think it is normal, like Zathras said, mine does this also to some extent, but once fully warmed up it does not do the lunge, surge, IMO, these cars with the 10 spds, take a LONG time to warm up! the tranny has that super big radiator right up front, and even with active shutters, ( mine is a base GT) my commute is 25 miles, and it maybe gets to 125- 135* F When on longer drives, it'll get up to 180*F or so.
Thank you for the information!

OP
OP

Ashleyh7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ashley
Vehicle(s)
I'd say, to some extent it's normal, as long as it's a "slight" lunge. On my GT with the automatic, sometimes as I slow down I can feel it downshift with a slight surge or lunge. In Normal drive mode it's very mild, but it's more pronounced in Sport or Track driving modes.
Thank you for your help!
Sponsored