Sponsored

2018 Mustang Convertible Debut

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
Yeah I was hoping for one-touch top that will at least match Camaro's 30 mph speed limit. 3 mph limit? What's the point! Can't even do it cruising in a parking lot...:frusty: Camaro even has remote top-down capability which requires a motorized latch. C'mon, Ford, keep up with the competition! :crazy:
For me, the best part is that I decide that I'll lower the top at the next red light. And guess what? Every single light, from then on, is green. So, it does have some advantages. :lol:
Sponsored

Armen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Vert
I like it.

(Was that ok to post? ;) )

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I dig on it too, as the owner of a '16 GT convertible, it's very intriguing to me. I'll just repost/crosspost my own response in another thread:

Now that I've seen the MY18 convertible, I'll say this:

The looks are almost a wash, some things I like better, some less, but it's a great looking car in either S550v1 or S550v2 :)

There's a few things what would have to align for me: trade value, discount on the new car, not trading the other car, but if all that came together, I might consider it.

Why?

As much as I absolutely love driving a 6-speed manual, I would be nice for the wife and I to be able to occasionally swap cars (no interest in her learning to drive a manual ...) and having the new 10-speed auto would allow this.

Would I be OK with an auto, well, I've got say, some of the decision to buy a manual was the Perf Package, I really wanted it, and we know the unavailability with the auto (in MY15-17). I was also a touch underwhelmed with the offered auto (even if the PP was offered in '16).

So now I've got the option to drive a PP Gen 2 car (that sounds like it will be notably better) with a really slick 10-speed auto, that the wife can also drive - plus getting the additional perks like Mag Suspension.

I guess I'd say I'm in a wait-and-see mode, with regards the final product and the logistics on my end when these cars come available :)

Sponsored

Dig-It

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
GT500KR (0758), GT500 (N2617), GT500 (N3432)

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
in south carolina where?! I wanna go see it!

greenville? if I can get confirmation that it's there I will go see it tomorrow!

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
OMGGGGGGGGGG totally going tomorrow. it's my son's 4 yr old birthday who is just as obsessed... so he'll love it.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Aww.. that's unfortunate. That stick antenna ruins the top down look for me.
I said the same thing... then I all the compliments started flowing in and I completely forgot about it. :D

I'm still holding out for automatic tonneau covers/caps... that is one thing I'd like to see. To be honest, I very seldom use the TC since they area pain in the butt to put on and remove for a quick run in the store (if you have no choice but to park under a tree or something and want to raise the top).

Sponsored

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
Front end looks much better with the vert than the coupe, probably because it doesn't flow right with the top. The front is very busy and defined, the second thing that helps it a lot is those wheels they match the front and back very well with the angles, those are definitely the best rims for this design.
How can the front end look better on the convertible than it does on the fastback?
It's the same front end!!
The wheels shown on the convertible belong on an F150, not a Mustang.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Yeah I was hoping for one-touch top that will at least match Camaro's 30 mph speed limit. 3 mph limit? What's the point! Can't even do it cruising in a parking lot...:frusty: Camaro even has remote top-down capability which requires a motorized latch. C'mon, Ford, keep up with the competition! :crazy:

According to this article, there are no changes to the top mechanism: http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/20/2018-ford-mustang-convertible-reveal/
Top lowered at 3 mph? Seems a bit ridiculous to me... they should have done at least 10 to 15 mph.

I guess it is a start in the right direction... but 3 mph?

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
Folding hard tops do nothing but add cost, complexity and weight, while killing trunk space. I am ALL for a Mustang convertible ONLY having a canvas top.
The Crossfire was the worst, pretty cool how it folded into the boot, but killed the space
As for this car, stunning shot, but it's a professional taken picture, thats see some more on the road, in videos
What I love about the 16 is how different the lines flow to the coupe, and even with the roof up, looks the business
will have to be a bit special to beat the 16 :D

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
To me I don't see a need to operate the top while the car is moving. Everytime I've operated the top the car was parked, stopped, etc. When I start up the car is when I lower it. When I park and before I shut the car, I raise it, simple. Never had the urge to operate it when in motion. It would be like saying, "You know I'd like to be able to open my door while I'm driving." To me it's a safety feature. The only reason I see operating the top while moving is if a pop up rain comes up. In which case wait until the next red light. The top operates so quickly now it's easy.
The present latching system is fine and easy to operate as is. The previous one was inconvenient as you had to reach over the passenger side to get the second latch.
Remote top operation is just going a little too far with extra features.
The tonneau caps really aren't difficult to put in. I really don't use them. Onlu good if you plan on having the top down for a long time. Still not bad. Remember previous Mustangs? The tonneau cover was big and put over the whole folded top.

Pony777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
V8 Manual Ruby Red
Goodbye 2016/hello 2018

Wow, this is a definite upgrade. Mine is on order already.
Just have to wait for the slot.......
Sponsored