2018 MT82 Second gear Lockout

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Hey guys! Two years ago I had the 16 pp1 and sold it, but now I just picked up the 18 GT pp1. When I launch I’m noticing I get locked out on the 2nd gear at high RPM. Which is really bugging me. I know others are experiencing this too. Anyone find a remedy? I been thinking about upgrading the clutch cable to braided steel. What is your guys opinion?
Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
MGW Shifter and BG Syncro 2 Fluid.... problem fixed!

Stealthfall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
For a lower cost you can get a Steeda or Whiteline Transmission bushing insert, wont necessarily eliminate it entirely but it should improve.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
X2 on the MGW. Best shifter I ever put in a car when I was running manuals. Spend the coin and you'll question why you ever spent money on anything else cheaper.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
X2 on the MGW. Best shifter I ever put in a car when I was running manuals. Spend the coin and you'll question why you ever spent money on anything else cheaper.
I been thinking of trying MGW this time. I had steeda on my last one and I liked it a lot actually. I used a dynamat and led sheets with multiple layers to remove the vibrations and noises coming in. It sounded quieter than stock. Do you have experience with any other shifter to compare the mgw to?

Thanks!

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I been thinking of trying MGW this time. I had steeda on my last one and I liked it a lot actually. I used a dynamat and led sheets with multiple layers to remove the vibrations and noises coming in. It sounded quieter than stock. Do you have experience with any other shifter to compare the mgw to?

Thanks!
I ran a Hurst on my 2005. looked cool but sucked with regard to shifting even compared to stock. There's no compare. If you see an MGW for sale used on line its only because the person is doing an auto swap or traded for an auto. The service is awesome. I bought mine used from the tuner at AED for my 13. Jeez I wish I had not waited so long. The issue you have on occasion trying to find 2nd on a spirited shift? Gone. No need to change fluids or anything. Was running stock Motorcraft fluid that came in the trans case. Even if you buy used like I did and have questions they will help you. For years they never sold any way but direct. Now they have a limited distributor network I have noticed. Every time I see their stuff it makes me want to go back to a manual again. After you see the craftsmanship on these units you will laugh at a Steeda. Nothing personal against Steeda but its like comparing glass to a diamond. MGW is the cadillac of shifters hands down and well worth the money and the wait to save up for one if that is what it takes.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I appreciate the f
I ran a Hurst on my 2005. looked cool but sucked with regard to shifting even compared to stock. There's no compare. If you see an MGW for sale used on line its only because the person is doing an auto swap or traded for an auto. The service is awesome. I bought mine used from the tuner at AED for my 13. Jeez I wish I had not waited so long. The issue you have on occasion trying to find 2nd on a spirited shift? Gone. No need to change fluids or anything. Was running stock Motorcraft fluid that came in the trans case. Even if you buy used like I did and have questions they will help you. For years they never sold any way but direct. Now they have a limited distributor network I have noticed. Every time I see their stuff it makes me want to go back to a manual again. After you see the craftsmanship on these units you will laugh at a Steeda. Nothing personal against Steeda but its like comparing glass to a diamond. MGW is the cadillac of shifters hands down and well worth the money and the wait to save up for one if that is what it takes.
i appreciate the feedback. I think I will go with MGW this go around. I believe there is a TSB for the 1-2 and 3-4 synchros and forks to get replaced? I will get those replaced first and then throw the shifter, BG OIL (I had the BG oil and it definitely helped) and also do the steel braided clutch cable. I remember when I put that on last time the shifts were butter at all ranges of RPM.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I appreciate the f

i appreciate the feedback. I think I will go with MGW this go around. I believe there is a TSB for the 1-2 and 3-4 synchros and forks to get replaced? I will get those replaced first and then throw the shifter, BG OIL (I had the BG oil and it definitely helped) and also do the steel braided clutch cable. I remember when I put that on last time the shifts were butter at all ranges of RPM.
no prob. I had my MGW on the car with the stock setup and then also with an Exedy setup and the braided line from JPC on the 13. Shifted like butter with both clutch combos. Shifted great N/A shifted great with 568RWHP on FI under it. The only thing more fun than an MGW is a pair of 36C's or larger.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Would this be the solution/fix for that issue?

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-2083
5.0L - Manual Transmission - Inability Or Difficulty To Shift Into Second Gear - Built On Or Before 15- Nov-2017
Model:
20 March 2018
Ford
2018 Mustang
Issue: Some 2018 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and a manual transmission built on or before 15-Nov-2017 may exhibit an inability or difficulty to shift the vehicle into second gear. This may be due to a stack-up tolerance issue between the transmission and the shifter.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition. Parts
Warranty Status: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.
Labor Times
Repair/Claim Coding
Part Number
Description
Quantity
FR3Z-7210-E
Gearshift Lever
W719298-S439
Bolt M12 X 56mm
FR3Z-4B496-B
Bolt And Washer, M10 x 1.5mm
W717822-S439
Bolt M10 x 19mm
TA-25-B
Motorcraft® Threadlock And Sealer
Description
Operation No.
Time
2018 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission Coupe: Inspect And Replace The Gearshift Lever (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
182083A
1.9 Hrs.
2018 Mustang 5.0L Manual Transmission Convertible: Inspect And Replace The Gearshift Lever (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)
182083B
2.2 Hrs.
Causal Part:
Condition Code:
Drive Tool Name
1/4" Power Tool
1/4" Ratchet
1/4" 10" Extension
1/4" 10 mm Socket
1/4" 13 mm Socket
3/8" Power Tool
3/8" Torque Wrench
3/8" Ratchet
3/8" 3" Extension
3/8" 10" Extension
3/8" 10 mm Socket
3/8" 13 mm Socket
3/8" 15 mm Socket
3/8" 13 mm Torque Extension
1/2" Power Tool
1/2" Ratchet
1/2" Torque Wrench
1/2" 16" Extension
1/2" 13 mm Socket
1/2" 15 mm Socket
1/2" 18 mm Socket
10 mm Wrench
13 mm Wrench
Medium Flathead Screwdriver
Small Trim Tool
Service Procedure
1. Check the vehicle build date. Was the vehicle built on or before 15-Nov-2017?
(1). Yes – proceed to Step 2.
(2). No – this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03A for normal diagnostics.
2. Attempt to shift the vehicle into second gear. Is it difficult or not possible to engage second gear? (1). Yes – proceed to Step 3.
(2). No – this article does not apply. Refer to WSM, Section 308-03A for normal diagnostics.
3. Replace the gearshift lever. Refer to WSM, Section 308-06A.
© 2018 Ford Motor Company All rights reserved.
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supersede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Would this be the solution/fix for that issue?

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-2083
5.0L - Manual Transmission - Inability Or Difficulty To Shift Into Second Gear - Built On Or Before 15- Nov-2017
Model:
20 March 2018
Ford
2018 Mustang
Issue: Some 2018 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and a manual transmission built on or before 15-Nov-2017 may exhibit an inability or difficulty to shift the vehicle into second gear. This may be due to a stack-up tolerance issue between the transmission and the shifter.
This is interesting, and gives cred to all the talk that there IS something to gain from trying to improve the shifting mechanism in some form on this car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
This is interesting, and gives cred to all the talk that there IS something to gain from trying to improve the shifting mechanism in some form on this car.
Yes, since the forks are weak and the stock shifter is very loose in terms of its bushings, it allows for extra tension when shifting hard and causing the forks to break. The aftermarket shifters have better resistance when shifting hard, that way the forks don't take the extra load and protecting the transmission. I'm debating of going with Steeda or MGW this time. I had Steeda last time and love the shifter! However everyone has been raving about the MGW shifters lately and I'm tempted to try them.

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
MGW shifter, it should be your first upgrade, car shifts like you would expect it, no need for a blowfish this shifter come complete and no need to scavenge parts form the original shifter. People talked about noise and vibration, sorry didn’t get any of that just great solid shifts, takes a day to get use to it, but you’ll never want to go back.

tcclindy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krazy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Yes, since the forks are weak and the stock shifter is very loose in terms of its bushings, it allows for extra tension when shifting hard and causing the forks to break. The aftermarket shifters have better resistance when shifting hard, that way the forks don't take the extra load and protecting the transmission. I'm debating of going with Steeda or MGW this time. I had Steeda last time and love the shifter! However everyone has been raving about the MGW shifters lately and I'm tempted to try them.
Stock shifter is mounted to the chassis when the tranny twists under torque it throw off the alignment for your shift and locks you out. The MGW shifter mounts to tranny so it always stays in alignment and never misses. You can see you shifter move because of this but it’s minor.

Steeds and Barton require you to disassemble factory shifter for parts, MGW comes complete no savaging parts, Barton is pretty sweet too.
Sponsored