2018 hood vents poor design

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I modified the driver’s side plastic drip tray on my 2019 Bullitt to gain clearance for my PMAS air intake kit. My primary reason for doing this was because I didn’t want to crush the filter element when closing my hood. I hope it helps with IAT as well. I’ve read where several people say their IATs are very high with open filter element air intake kits that don’t seal to the hood. It seems like mine are in check with the PMAS; although, I didn’t do a before test.

FA514758-8553-416A-A2FA-6D384BB5E67C.jpeg
6A1981FE-55BA-4E72-B671-ADC2A626DA88.jpeg
C1D50C78-D1F9-4B9B-8BB6-F3CDB09A9E29.jpeg

B5FE7719-8E5E-4B87-8ED6-A07664BDB0E2.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Just out of curiosity and if it’s not too much trouble, can we see some posts as to what type of CAI kits you guys are running and a pic of your IATs (dash pic), when driving at normal highway speeds?

dkdariusz885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Convertible

My test of the vents
For config 3, how do you remove the plastic underneath the hood, the drip tray if you will in order to just have the mesh plastic left above the hood? Do you need to remove any screws or just pull? Thanks!

Sponsored

dkdariusz885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that's what it looks like. Hot air rising by natural convection can eventually stumble around and find the vents. The vents appear to placed to make sure any water coming through falls on unimportant plastic parts, which places them away from any natural air flow. That said, I don't know why they need those plastic "drip trays" (or whatever they are) underneath them.
Maybe management said "Thou shalt minimize and control all dripping" and an engineer thought "OK, but we're gonna make this tray easy to remove".

I guess I'm not that worried about overheating my engine, but I'd like the hot air to find the vents more easily and flow out more freely.
For config 3, how do you remove the plastic underneath the hood, the drip tray if you will in order to just have the mesh plastic left above the hood? Do you need to remove any screws or just pull? Thanks!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
@dkdariusz885, you need to remove the 4 nuts from the plastic drip tray and then use a heat gun to go around the perimeter of the drip tray, as there is 3M double stick tape underneath Holding it to the hood. Once you soften the tape, you can then pull the drip tray off. At the very least, you’ll need to reinstall the 4 nuts with some washers to hold the top mesh portion of the vent in place.

1619608481507.jpeg

1619608430633.jpeg

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
For config 3, how do you remove the plastic underneath the hood, the drip tray if you will, in order to just have the mesh plastic left above the hood? Do you need to remove any screws or just pull? Thanks!
Once you have the vents and tray un-bolted from the hood, I've seen a guy in a YouTube video just pry the plastic trays loose. He had a 2-pronged prying tool, about the size of a screwdriver.
He had bought new vent louvers and if I remember correctly he actually re-installed the drip trays.

Sponsored

dkdariusz885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
@dkdariusz885, you need to remove the 4 nuts from the plastic drip tray and then use a heat gun to go around the perimeter of the drip tray, as there is 3M double stick tape underneath Holding it to the hood. Once you soften the tape, you can then pull the drip tray off. At the very least, you’ll need to reinstall the 4 nuts with some washers to hold the top mesh portion of the vent in place.

1619608481507.jpeg

1619608430633.jpeg
Thanks! I wonder if the removal of the drip trays will allow in too much water though in harder rain circumstances, perhaps expediting rust and other degradation in the engine bay?

dkdariusz885

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Once you have the vents and tray un-bolted from the hood, I've seen a guy in a YouTube video just pry the plastic trays loose. He had a 2-pronged prying tool, about the size of a screwdriver.
He had bought new vent louvers and if I remember correctly he actually re-installed the drip trays.
Thanks! I wonder if the removal of the drip trays will allow in too much water though in harder rain circumstances, perhaps expediting rust and other degradation in the engine bay?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I drive mine through brushless car washes and have never had an issue with excessive water intrusion, or gotten my air filter wet.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
It looked to me like the vents are placed so they'll just drip on plastic stuff under the hood.
If you're worried about rust, ambient humidity will probably matter more than these little hood vents.
Sponsored