Sponsored

2018 GT- Tick On 2nd Motor

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Uhhhhh because there is? Like @Condor1970 said, it all depends on the severity.

My Duramax before I built it had perfect cylinder walls when I tore it down with 300k miles no drag marks or anything and the cross hatching was perfect...if cylinders have scorned cylinder walls that's bad especially a brand new one.

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
Uhhhhh because there is? Like @Condor1970 said, it all depends on the severity.
First of all you are misinterpreting what Condor is saying. Second of all, scoring & wear are two VERY different things and mean very different things so please slow your roll on the whole cylinder scoring diatribe until you understand the difference.

Killswitch16GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP
Actually he's right. Virtually all engines have some wear on cylinder liners. It just depends on how badly, and how rapidly to determine whether or not it may need a replacement.

This is why I am just doing my best to try and subdue the noise a bit. It seems obvious there is no real absolute fix yet. With my luck, I'd get it replaced with an engine that's even louder.

Either way, this baby screams like a Banshee when I put my foot down.
wear and scoring is two completely different things. normal wear does not result in scoring, unless ford considers scoring normal wear? Scoring leads to premature wear and oil consumption and eventually a shit running engine.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I had scoring on cylinder #3 on my first engine no typewriter tick as the OP has on his #2 motor. On my #2 motor I have rhe typewriter tick :D

I also have slap/flap that seems to be correlated with the manifold(same manifold that was used on the first engine which sounded the same) so the car is going in for I think almost the 10th time now and the manifold is to be swapped. I have asked them to perform a bore scope on the new engine....

Sponsored

OP
OP

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is the noise it make on 2nd engine. It wasnn’t loud vs previous day. Hope ya can hear it. Tell me what you think ?

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The typewriter is occuring on your 2nd engine ? If so, did they find any issue ?
It's not been in yet for that. They are going to swap the manifold to sort another issue out (hopefully) then follow up on the typewriter...

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
For those with the 2k rattle is the 2k rattle a constant thing or does it do it randomly?

I have a "dead spot" at 2k RPMS on occasion. The car "jerks" a very slight amount and hiccups until around 2,300ish RPM.

It doesn't happen in 4th gear on which makes me think it's a "normal" characteristic of the motor/stock tune of if it is early on set of the "rattle".

Sponsored

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
For me it was constant. Any time I was around 2200 RPM while applying 10-15% throttle the engine would rattle. It was most audible in 1st through 3rd gear but could be heard in 4th and 5th too. After 6k miles the rattle was audible all the way up to 4k RPM. I still haven't had a chance to drive the car with the replacement engine but the service manager said the new engine doesn't rattle. This is one of the most consistent issues with the 18s and 19s. Everyone who has it has identical symptoms for the most part. It should have been fairly easy for Ford to figure out the root cause.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Constant for me as well. Always around the same point when in gear and shifts down to about 1100 rpms when in neutral. Not audible in 4th gear or higher. HOWEVER, I can change the sound of the rattle by moving my shifter, which implies clutch chatter. That's not to say others don't have piston slap rattle, but it's something to keep in mind (and easy to test). My rattle sounds identical to bigriver's rattle in his videos, but not as deep as I've heard others sound.

I guess most of you beat me to it. I was ready to jump all over that wear =/= scoring.

OP
OP

5.0Loved

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This is how it sound like when act up. Engine was fully warmed up

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Tell the dealer. Then tell them you are adding 1/2 bottle of Ceratec to shut the bloody thing up. That's what I did, and they just chuckled a bit, and agreed. They even told me if I have any further problems, to bring it in and they'll fix it under warranty. I don't think Ford is too worried about that particular additive, because it's one of the few that is NOT snake oil.

18StangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
these multiple 2nd engine ticks, rattles etc. pretty much rules out the theory of a bad batch of engines from late 2017 or early 2018.
Sponsored