Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Why the smart ass response?

Did you bother to read the second line?

IMO, if you daily drive the Mustang and don't need max performance, run 87 (top tier).
My sarcastic response is, 87 VS 93 on an OEM tune pulling and adding timing is probably going to be a 3-4% difference in power at most add or take. So if you go by Ford advertised 460 using 93 and we had the 3-4% difference running 87, the power to the pavement has literally barely changed and you wouldn't notice a difference... Ford only states that because they learned about promising numbers and not delivering and got in trouble for it. That is just a disclaimer for them. My point 87 VS 93 means dick squat until you start getting into calibrated tunes.
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

My sarcastic response is, 87 VS 93 on an OEM tune pulling and adding timing is probably going to be a 3-4% difference in power at most add or take. So if you go by Ford advertised 460 using 93 and we had the 3-4% difference running 87, the power to the pavement has literally barely changed and you wouldn't notice a difference... Ford only states that because they learned about promising numbers and not delivering and got in trouble for it. That is just a disclaimer for them. My point 87 VS 93 means dick squat until you start getting into calibrated tunes.
Coming from the EBM platform, there was a huge difference in power between regular and premium gas. The car felt lethargic on anything under premium gas. Timing and octane on that car makes all the difference.

The GT, there isn't much of a difference at all between regular and premium. I agree. But there is still a difference. Maximum performance is achieved on premium gas on the OEM tune. Price per performance isn't there for a small hp bump, but it's maximum performance nonetheless.

Ford denotes *on premium fuel, at the bottom where no one can read it. The hp and tq numbers look great(especially on turbocharged motors) until you find out those numbers are on premium fuel.

For what it's worth, I run Top Tier 87 in mine right now.

Summary: We agree.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Everyone just get a 91-93 octane tune so we can end this all together. Then there's no arguing!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Maximum performance? OH NO. My 440whp car is now only making 435whp on the highway, i'm screwed. Just going to cruise with the prius I guess.
Peak hp also doesn't tell the whole story. If you are pushing the car hard when you drive it, premium can keep you out of the detonation areas that cause reduced timing.
As I stated, if you are just daily driving and cruising, 87 is fine. Also, your car never makes 440 or even 435whp cruising on the highway.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Peak hp isn't everything. I would need to see back to back full dyno runs to really see the difference in octane changes. We don't even know the peak difference with the 2018 at this time. Judging from the tuning numbers with 2018 guys running E85, octane likely makes a bigger difference than it did with the previous cars.
FYI, Ford notes premium fuel, because that is how they tested it. They use controlled test fuel to produce their numbers.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Everyone just get a 91-93 octane tune so we can end this all together. Then there's no arguing!
I tell you what, you pay me the extra $500/year 93 octane would costs me and I'll run it. Deal? :thumbsup:

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Well, since this post was titled "2018 GT MPG", my response was related to the GT. And I stated that the owners manual calls out for 87 octane in all engine configurations. All of the whiners stating that the GT *MUST* run on premium is incorrect. The car was NOT designed around running on premium fuel as they keep stating. You also know that the mileage advertised by Ford is by using 100% gasoline and not ethanol blended fuel, right?

Also, to tell someone that they should be driving a Prius because they don't want to waste money unnecessarily is very childish and ignorant. For the few extra hp you get on premium, paying $.60 a gallon more, or $7-8 per fill up , while commuting or sitting in traffic, is just stupid. How about I say that it's about as stupid as someone buying a 435-460hp car to drive 30mph in traffic every day!! I mean, you can do that in a Prius!

People own these cars for whatever reason they chose to do so, so if they decide 87 is sufficient for them to still enjoy the car, then so be it. Who are you to say otherwise?

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Well, since this post was titled "2018 GT MPG", my response was related to the GT. And I stated that the owners manual calls out for 87 octane in all engine configurations. All of the whiners stating that the GT *MUST* run on premium is incorrect. The car was NOT designed around running on premium fuel as they keep stating. You also know that the mileage advertised by Ford is by using 100% gasoline and not ethanol blended fuel, right?

Also, to tell someone that they should be driving a Prius because they don't want to waste money unnecessarily is very childish and ignorant. For the few extra hp you get on premium, paying $.60 a gallon more, or $7-8 per fill up , while commuting or sitting in traffic, is just stupid. How about I say that it's about as stupid as someone buying a 435-460hp car to drive 30mph in traffic every day!! I mean, you can do that in a Prius!

People own these cars for whatever reason they chose to do so, so if they decide 87 is sufficient for them to still enjoy the car, then so be it. Who are you to say otherwise?
The calibration for the vehicle was developed using premium fuel, but there is mapping for lower octanes. I agree that using premium to sit in traffic is silly. In the same respect, I think it would be silly to race using 87 octane.
E10 only has 3-4% less energy density than E0, so you wouldn't likely see much of a difference due to environmental variances.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I tell you what, you pay me the extra $500/year 93 octane would costs me and I'll run it. Deal? :thumbsup:
Don't forget the other $500 for the tune. Put it on my tab at Harry's.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
It is tempting.

Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
The calibration for the vehicle was developed using premium fuel, but there is mapping for lower octanes. I agree that using premium to sit in traffic is silly. In the same respect, I think it would be silly to race using 87 octane.
E10 only has 3-4% less energy density than E0, so you wouldn't likely see much of a difference due to environmental variances.
The short amount of time I have spent on this forum and I love reading the info you provide.

I've been running 93 Shell Nitro V power or whatever they call it lol. Anyways, I have to drive way out of my way to get it. I have several top tier stations literally a few blocks from my house but they only have 91 or lower but all have the top tier label on the pumps. The 19 GT I have has around 800 miles on it. If it were your car would you use the 91 or 93 if both were available at the same place or rather is it worth it for me to drive out of my way for the Shell 93 like I have been doing? Probably overthinking this but just curious

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
The short amount of time I have spent on this forum and I love reading the info you provide.

I've been running 93 Shell Nitro V power or whatever they call it lol. Anyways, I have to drive way out of my way to get it. I have several top tier stations literally a few blocks from my house but they only have 91 or lower but all have the top tier label on the pumps. The 19 GT I have has around 800 miles on it. If it were your car would you use the 91 or 93 if both were available at the same place or rather is it worth it for me to drive out of my way for the Shell 93 like I have been doing? Probably overthinking this but just curious
My 2 cents... I run 93 octane clear premium in my 2018 GT Level 2. Not a daily driver, I am putting about 2600 miles per year on it so far.
I ran one tank of clear 87 through it during a road trip to Reno, Nevada and it pinged like crazy when getting on the throttle. Who knows, maybe the 87 I got had some water in it, but after that experience I decided to stick with the 93. If I was daily driving it and could find some lower octane that worked OK then I would probably run it to save some money.
In my situation, I just figure that running 93 is part of the cost of owning/driving the car. I realize that others may not have that luxury. I'm not much help, just sharing my experience.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
My 2 cents... I run 93 octane clear premium in my 2018 GT Level 2. Not a daily driver, I am putting about 2600 miles per year on it so far.
I ran one tank of clear 87 through it during a road trip to Reno, Nevada and it pinged like crazy when getting on the throttle. Who knows, maybe the 87 I got had some water in it, but after that experience I decided to stick with the 93. If I was daily driving it and could find some lower octane that worked OK then I would probably run it to save some money.
In my situation, I just figure that running 93 is part of the cost of owning/driving the car. I realize that others may not have that luxury. I'm not much help, just sharing my experience.
Thanks for sharing. I'm kind of torn between the 91 and 93 as the 91 top tier stations are right down the road whereas the 93 top tier is several miles away. I was just wondering if there would be any disadvantages to running the 91 over the 93.

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
Thanks for sharing. I'm kind of torn between the 91 and 93 as the 91 top tier stations are right down the road whereas the 93 top tier is several miles away. I was just wondering if there would be any disadvantages to running the 91 over the 93.
I would run the 91 since it's convenient, unless I was going to the track. I doubt you'll notice much if any difference cruisin around town.