Sponsored

2018 GT MPG 87 vs. 93 octane

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I think you're smart running the top tier fuel...
I kind of found out the hard way with my 18. Honestly at that time I knew nothing about grades of fuel. Hell I still don't know a lot but more than I did. Thanks to reading this forum I ran across this thread a month ago talking about top tier fuel. I was like "huh"? So started doing research. Well come to find out my favorite station near me does not sell top tier. So I've been looking around and the only top tier station, out of hundreds around me, that sells top tier 93 is the Shell station but as mentioned I have a bunch of 91 top tier stations close by. I think I'll just start filling up with the top tier 91 right down the road since while breaking in I'm fairly easy on my GT. Even when I get the motor broke in I'll still be fairly easy on it and only occasionally run WOT for fun
Sponsored

Troutwrangler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 Magnetic Metallic
I kind of found out the hard way with my 18. Honestly at that time I knew nothing about grades of fuel. Hell I still don't know a lot but more than I did. Thanks to reading this forum I ran across this thread a month ago talking about top tier fuel. I was like "huh"? So started doing research. Well come to find out my favorite station near me does not sell top tier. So I've been looking around and the only top tier station, out of hundreds around me, that sells top tier 93 is the Shell station but as mentioned I have a bunch of 91 top tier stations close by. I think I'll just start filling up with the top tier 91 right down the road since while breaking in I'm fairly easy on my GT. Even when I get the motor broke in I'll still be fairly easy on it and only occasionally run WOT for fun
Sounds like a good plan to me...
My dad was not a car guy at all, but I can still hear him say "The best things you can do for an engine is to keep the oil changed and don't burn that cheap gas".
I went easy on mine (not over 4000 RPM) until about 1200 miles.
I'm still fairly easy on it just because I do a fair amount of highway driving when I take it out... but listening to that Coyote wind up to 7500 RPM now and then is one of the most amazing things you'll ever hear, along with finding some twisty roads to let that Pony run on. Enjoy it!

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
The short amount of time I have spent on this forum and I love reading the info you provide.

I've been running 93 Shell Nitro V power or whatever they call it lol. Anyways, I have to drive way out of my way to get it. I have several top tier stations literally a few blocks from my house but they only have 91 or lower but all have the top tier label on the pumps. The 19 GT I have has around 800 miles on it. If it were your car would you use the 91 or 93 if both were available at the same place or rather is it worth it for me to drive out of my way for the Shell 93 like I have been doing? Probably overthinking this but just curious
I used 87 an then switched because I did perceive a small difference. I then got the power pack installed which needs 91+. I use 93 but 91 isn't available in my area. If the tune can run 91 I dont see it being an issue for a stock car.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks for sharing. I'm kind of torn between the 91 and 93 as the 91 top tier stations are right down the road whereas the 93 top tier is several miles away. I was just wondering if there would be any disadvantages to running the 91 over the 93.
Unless your running a 93 tune the answer is no. I use Costco 93 and my car runs great. I’ve also used Shell. Runs the same as Costco.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Given the ECU adjusts to the fuel does anyone know if the fuel efficiency is better on the higher octane for these cars?

I though I would be spending a great deal more on fuel for this car compared to my prior Turbo 4. But being able to run 87 octane actually brings the cost much closer.
12:1 means 93 octane only. I don't care what ford says you cant cheat thermodynamics...

The 5.00 more u spend per fill is cheaper than buying a 9000.00 shortblock...

If you havent been paying attention gen 3 shortblocks are hard to comebuy because people are blowing them up... Dont be a statistic, pay the money get good fuel

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
12:1 means 93 octane only. I don't care what ford says you cant cheat thermodynamics...

The 5.00 more u spend per fill is cheaper than buying a 9000.00 shortblock...

If you havent been paying attention gen 3 shortblocks are hard to comebuy because people are blowing them up... Dont be a statistic, pay the money get good fuel
Poster brought this year and a half old thread back to ask about 91 vs 93 and Top Tier gas. I use 93 because I agree with you and that’s what Costco has. But unless the poster is using a 93 specific tune using 91 with not cause any damage to his Coyote.

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Poster brought this year and a half old thread back to ask about 91 vs 93 and Top Tier gas. I use 93 because I agree with you and that’s what Costco has. But unless the poster is using a 93 specific tune using 91 with not cause any damage to his Coyote.
Ok cool that's what I was going to ask again to be sure. The car is a bone stock 19 GT

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and have a DD (familycar) '17GTPP that see some spirited driving, and a trackday or two a year.
1,5-2 years ago they started selling RON100 octane. Think its equivalent to 96 in the US?...
https://www.shell.dk/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-vpower.html
A danish former F1 driver, said that it's not so much about the here and now gains, but the long term benefits of the better quality gas U put in it.
It's around 7,5 USD pr. gallon. But as everything fun is expensive here, so is the fuel. The best way to save money, is just not driving one day.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and have a DD (familycar) '17GTPP that see some spirited driving, and a trackday or two a year.
1,5-2 years ago they started selling RON100 octane. Think its equivalent to 96 in the US?...
https://www.shell.dk/motorists/shell-fuels/shell-vpower.html
A danish former F1 driver, said that it's not so much about the here and now gains, but the long term benefits of the better quality gas U put in it.
It's around 7,5 USD pr. gallon. But as everything fun is expensive here, so is the fuel. The best way to save money, is just not driving one day.
It’s easy for us to complain about the price of gas here in the US. That’s right up until we see what you folks have to pay for it.
By the way RON 98-100 is equal to our 93.
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
It’s easy for us to complain about the price of gas here in the US. That’s right up until we see what you folks have to pay for it.
By the way RON 98-100 is equal to our 93.
https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/
To make U feel better, I can tell U my GT was 110k USD, due to our 150% car taxes. :whew:

Sponsored

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
...I can tell U my GT was 110k USD, due to our 150% car taxes. :whew:

Back on topic..., when I am on a long drive and cruising down a flat interstate at 70mph with cruise control engaged for hours on end, I'll use 87 octane fuel because the engine is under no load/stress and doesn't need a ton of timing thrown at it. In that scenario, 91/93 octane fuel is a complete waste of $$$.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
Taxes, and what they are used to pay for, are a source of constant argument here in the US. If I might ask, why are your taxes so high?
To pay for free hospitals. Free education. Actually we get paid to go to school when we turn 18.
56 (I think) weeks payed maternity leave pr. child. Alot of good stuff when U have a baby really. 690 USD every quarter from 0-2yo. That amount drops 130 USD when they are 3-6. Another 130 USD down when they are 7-14.
We get 6 weeks payed off work each year.
We have so many benefits, but of course the money have to come from somewhere. But the salary is high too I guess. I get 31,5 USD pr. hour, and I'm a carpenter. That's not bad, for the effort I put in. :cwl:

Back on the car related stuff. Since the Mustang is well into the 100k USD, U don't see a lot of them here. I have now seen 36 S550's. It's a real headturner here. :rockon:

Last edited: