Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
Besides normal, did they say what that noise was attributed to?
Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
They said it s normal, but it s due to bad conception and manufacturing. Since not so many engine fails, they will keep saying that without beeing worried by any action in court by customers

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I don't have this noise on my '18 or '19 and it's hard to hear on the video. From what I a think is the noise you are referring to here are a few ideas.

If the noise diminishes when warm I would think indicates clearances that decrease with the expansion due to heat, i.e. pistons/rings/valves/bearings/exhaust. It could also be from the massive number of camshafts and chains finally getting oil. That makes more sense to me or exhaust.

Have you considered getting a sound scope, like a stethoscope and try and isolate where the noise is coming from? Some folks are using thicker oil like 5-30 which Ford recommends for track use. Whipple told me to use 5w50 after the blower install which I've used with no issues for a few thousand miles.

Another thought is, any you might think I'm crazy here, the exhaust. Sometimes it is exhaust related which would also change quite a bit when warm. I'd raise the car up and closely inspect every inch of the exhaust from the engine to the bumper. Look for any loose parts or contact with metal that shouldn't be there. Also wondering if the mufflers might have some loose baffles and this sound can sound like it's closer to the engine sometimes. Again when warm it might go away.

Keep us posted. Good Luck!

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i was hearing something very very similar to this the other day.. i noticed it when going over a bridge and i could hear the sound bouncing off of the barricades on the side of the road..

i happened to check the oil a couple days later and noticed it was a qt low.. traveling over the same bridge after putting that qt in, engine quieted down a lot, had to go over the bridge 3 more times before i could faintly make out what i thought was the same rattle sound.

i wonder, is anyone with this rattle even just a little bit low on engine oil?

is this the 2k rattle everyone talks about?

Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
i was hearing something very very similar to this the other day.. i noticed it when going over a bridge and i could hear the sound bouncing off of the barricades on the side of the road..

i happened to check the oil a couple days later and noticed it was a qt low.. traveling over the same bridge after putting that qt in, engine quieted down a lot, had to go over the bridge 3 more times before i could faintly make out what i thought was the same rattle sound.

Funny you just happen to post this, for the first time my 2018 GT started to make a sound close to 2000-3000 RPM only (rattle noise) but its not anything crazy just you can hear it if your really listening with everything off inside the car.

Last night before i took the car again i popped up the hood to verify engine oil and was missing 1.1 Liters since filling it up no more noise at all.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have this noise on my '18 or '19 and it's hard to hear on the video. From what I a think is the noise you are referring to here are a few ideas.

If the noise diminishes when warm I would think indicates clearances that decrease with the expansion due to heat, i.e. pistons/rings/valves/bearings/exhaust. It could also be from the massive number of camshafts and chains finally getting oil. That makes more sense to me or exhaust.

Have you considered getting a sound scope, like a stethoscope and try and isolate where the noise is coming from? Some folks are using thicker oil like 5-30 which Ford recommends for track use. Whipple told me to use 5w50 after the blower install which I've used with no issues for a few thousand miles.

Another thought is, any you might think I'm crazy here, the exhaust. Sometimes it is exhaust related which would also change quite a bit when warm. I'd raise the car up and closely inspect every inch of the exhaust from the engine to the bumper. Look for any loose parts or contact with metal that shouldn't be there. Also wondering if the mufflers might have some loose baffles and this sound can sound like it's closer to the engine sometimes. Again when warm it might go away.

Keep us posted. Good Luck!
Lots of great stuff here, particularly the oil aspect, so thank you! Someone here tried some sort of elaborate sound scope, and it was still inconclusive. The main theories thus far:

-Fuel system transition from non direct injection to direct.
-Piston slap, which, incidentally, is common on the GT350 and an actual TSB exists for it. Basically due to spray-in cylinder liners versus actual sleeves. Ford says normal and no impact to engine performance and longevity.
-MT82 transmission, which has a history of problems.
-Clutch issue.
-Plate between transmission and engine (I ruled this one out, mine appears absolutely solid).

For a while, I was convinced it was the transmission. I even changed over to the Optimum Performance fluid, and no change in sound, but it did make shifting feel better, less "notchiness". In some ways, I still lean towards transmission, as it is almost non-existent in 5th or 6th gear. Why would you hear it in 1-4 at 2-2.5K rpm and not 5-6?

It appears some folks have it much worse than others. Within this thread there are various videos with better examples. Mine is on the lower end of the annoyance scale compared to some I've heard.

I wish, and am tempted, to swap out my MT82 with a Calimer MT82 just to see what happens.

At the end of the day, still no one knows for certain...

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase

I've checked many times, mine has never been low.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Lots of great stuff here, particularly the oil aspect, so thank you! Someone here tried some sort of elaborate sound scope, and it was still inconclusive. The main theories thus far:

-Piston slap, which, incidentally, is common on the GT350 and an actual TSB exists for it. Basically due to spray-in cylinder liners versus actual sleeves. Ford says normal and no impact to engine performance and longevity.
The pistons in the GT350 Voodoo are forged, which makes piston slap worse especially when the engine is cold and warming up. The pistons in the Coyote are hypereutectic and don't change dimensions as much as forged do with temperature changes.

Sponsored

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
I find it a bit embarrassing to roll up on someone in a car that sounds so good from the back , yet sounds so crappy from under the hood. Well, on to remove the sound tube this weekend.

BTW, doesn't the dealer have the ability to look in their computer and see your visits to two other dealers for the same noise?
Hi, did removing the sound tube help with reducing the noise in cabin of the rattle?

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I notice mine when I have the drivers window down some the most. Oddly when the passenger window is down I hear it less or barely. Mine is bloody loud and can hear it over music with the drivers window down. But its been this way since likely new. I heard it the first time with maybe 700 miles on the car when I turned a corner and heard it reflect back from bushes in someones yard. I don't notice it much with the windows up on the car though. But I'm someone who always has a window open or both of them as I don't like AC unless its awful out heat wise.

Car runs like a wounded animal trying to escape death!

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Hi, did removing the sound tube help with reducing the noise in cabin of the rattle?
nope. Not a bit. I can’t tell any difference in the interior otherwise, either. Whatever the sound tube did, I was unaware of. I always have the sound system on anyway.

Last edited:

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Im a firm believer that the 5w20 oil weight is too thin for this engine, and that ford really failed on this. Lots of camshaft/valves and high-revving im not even sure what weight it could end at when someone is pushing the interval to 10k+ must be close to water. Wouldn't be surprised if the culprit of early damage under first oil change is ford fault on delivering cars with the bad protection.

Switching over to the motorcraft 5w30 this week, semi-synthetic blend and i will report here if i find any differences in noise level. Mine is really not that pronounced and i can barely hear it at cold temperature and goes away when engine is hot.
Sponsored