Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Wow! That's exactly what I have, but it's not THAT loud. Maybe half that volume, but it's exactly the same noise at the same RPM.

It's actually going to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow for that noise and for the first oil change.

My guess is still transmission.

Two dealerships have told me "normal", but one lied because my dash cam caught them not doing anything other than a test drive. They claimed they put it on a lift to check out all sorts of things and didn't, so their opinion is tainted. I will certainly update this thread with the outcome.
Please update.
You can’t tell from my video but there is a wall on the left side of the car that enhances that sound as I go up the driveway. I’m pulling the sound tube from the firewall soon. Maybe that will reduce the noise while I’m driving 60 with the windows up.
Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
My car has made THE SAME EFFING NOISE as all of these videos. Have had that noise for most of its 27k mile life, dealer couldnt reproduce it then told me it was exhaust rattle after 2 ride alongs. Active exhaust also has its own separate rattle, but that noise is 100% engine.

My car is bone stock like it just came new off the dealer floor. Car is currently in heavy line with a catastrophic failure, so we will see if that was part of the culprit.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Please update.
You can’t tell from my video but there is a wall on the left side of the car that enhances that sound as I go up the driveway. I’m pulling the sound tube from the firewall soon. Maybe that will reduce the noise while I’m driving 60 with the windows up.
No update... They didn't have a loaner car, so the only thing I did was the oil change. Maybe I'll make another appointment in a few weeks. It's annoying, but I can live with it. In my case, especially after it warms up, it's very easy to drown out. Now, this is my first oil change, so hopefully no bbq tick develops...

Side note: I was reviewing my dash cam footage, and you hear the tech telling someone I can't see, "...car has a dash cam"...

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
My car has made THE SAME EFFING NOISE as all of these videos. Have had that noise for most of its 27k mile life, dealer couldnt reproduce it then told me it was exhaust rattle after 2 ride alongs. Active exhaust also has its own separate rattle, but that noise is 100% engine.

My car is bone stock like it just came new off the dealer floor. Car is currently in heavy line with a catastrophic failure, so we will see if that was part of the culprit.
Really interested to know what happened. I revisited the OP video, and that is the exact noise I have, He just went past it a couple times as he was accelerating.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Trying again tomorrow. Leaving the car at the dealer overnight tomorrow so they can hear it first thing in the morning when it's cold.

Sponsored

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it when you have to do that.
Very true, but if I don't, I'll just procrastinate more and more. If this dealer, the dealer I bought it from, says it's "normal", then I guess I'll just have to live with it. Two other dealers (closest to my home) have said "normal". The first gave me TSB's for the BBQ tick and something else (on how it sounds like a diesel at idle I think it was), absolutely nothing regarding "rattles" lolololol. The other dealer just took it for a test drive and said "normal" as well, but nothing other than that.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The other dealer just took it for a test drive and said "normal" as well, but nothing other than that.
Ford pretty much says every engine noise is "normal" these days. You'd have to see a rod blown through the side of the block for them to say "that's not normal". :crazy:

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, dropped it off at the dealership this afternoon. They should be taking it for a test drive tomorrow morning just about when the service department opens up and it's nice and cold. The suspense begins...

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I just got a call from the dealer...

...and he verdict is:

"normal noise from the 5.0"...

Welp, I guess that's it. This is the 3rd, and final, dealer to tell me the same thing. At the end of the day, the annoyance scale on my end is maybe 2 out of 10, but still.

The service guy did say there was a TSB for it; curious to see exactly which one it is... Headed to pick it up in a few.

I'm happy because I love the car, but also a little bummed because I basically have to live with it for who knows how long.

Sponsored

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I just got a call from the dealer...

...and he verdict is:

"normal noise from the 5.0"...

Welp, I guess that's it. This is the 3rd, and final, dealer to tell me the same thing. At the end of the day, the annoyance scale on my end is maybe 2 out of 10, but still.

The service guy did say there was a TSB for it; curious to see exactly which one it is... Headed to pick it up in a few.

I'm happy because I love the car, but also a little bummed because I basically have to live with it for who knows how long.
Thats what they kept telling me. I eventually got rid of mine but at least Ford seems to be consistent about saying it's normal.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Check this out, dash cam vid excerpt of the tech test driving it. You can tell he hears it because he starts modulating the gas pedal...

They didn't give me anything, no paperwork, nothing, just my key and re-emphasized it's normal.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
Check this out, dash cam vid excerpt of the tech test driving it. You can tell he hears it because he starts modulating the gas pedal...

They didn't give me anything, no paperwork, nothing, just my key and re-emphasized it's normal.

I find it a bit embarrassing to roll up on someone in a car that sounds so good from the back , yet sounds so crappy from under the hood. Well, on to remove the sound tube this weekend.

BTW, doesn't the dealer have the ability to look in their computer and see your visits to two other dealers for the same noise?

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I find it a bit embarrassing to roll up on someone in a car that sounds so good from the back , yet sounds so crappy from under the hood. Well, on to remove the sound tube this weekend.

BTW, doesn't the dealer have the ability to look in their computer and see your visits to two other dealers for the same noise?
To be fair, it really lessens once it's really warmed up. I'm talking like 20+ minutes of driving around, but it never really disappears.

I have no doubt they can see its service history; I wonder if they looked through...
Sponsored