Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The 'tick' and the '2K-rpm rattle' are 2 different things. The tick is considered 'normal', but not all engines make it. And most didn't do it new, but it 'appeared' by the 2nd oil change. The 2K-rpm rattle is present in all engines IMO, but some owners just haven't heard it yet. I was one of those, until I read a stupid thread about it, and BAM!, then I heard it. And now it seems much louder. Ha ha. But my consolation is all V8 Mustangs I've driven make it, and no engine issues have ever been reported due to it, so I'm not worried about it. And I can live with it, since with the exhaust in sport, radio on, or both, I don't hear it. If my engine develops the tick, however, I'd be pissed, and probably sell the car before warranty is over. So far, no tick with 1 oil change and 4K+ miles; hope it stays that way :).
Sponsored

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
since with the exhaust in sport, radio on, or both, I don't hear it.

I usually keep my B&O set at Volume 15 on the highway, yet I can still hear it in 5th gear. I'd rather not turn the radio up due to my tinnitus. No active exhaust here.

vince.fr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
snauwaert
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford mustang bullitt ,1969 ford mustang mach 1
hello everyone,
I have good news today, ford is taking out warranty for the replacement of my engine.
one less worry ......

vince

Wsvi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
hello everyone,
I have good news today, ford is taking out warranty for the replacement of my engine.
one less worry ......

vince
My 19 is in the shop now getting a replacement engine at 18k due to being down on compression 10 % on cylinder 1

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Any mods at all? Any tracking? Supposedly these engines are quite robust, but that's not always the case. But even more worrisome is if this happens to a fully stock engine, and not abused at all. Let's hear what's your case. Thanks.

Sponsored

Wsvi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Any mods at all? Any tracking? Supposedly these engines are quite robust, but that's not always the case. But even more worrisome is if this happens to a fully stock engine, and not abused at all. Let's hear what's your case. Thanks.
mine is stock except for a catback exhaust ,not driven hard at all, oil was changed every 5k with amsoil 5/30 and ceretec added,it developed a miss at idle and thats the only symptom it had

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
No mods or tracking and it appeared early on when new. Not sure how early, but within 6k miles easily, maybe even 3k.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I wanted to add another perspective on this. Today I was doing some highway driving, and I could hear it, although extremely faint, in 6th gear around 2Kish rpm. That's about 80mph-ish, and contrary to what some believe, the wind noise is not so intense you can't hear anything.

Now, here's the key: I kept stabbing the gas pedal, which allowed me to, get this, "turn it on and off" at will. No way in hell this is piston slap or the DI/FI system. Why is it very faint in 6th? Its sound decreases with every gear you up. That has to be in the drivetrain somewhere. Again, I could be wrong, I'm nowhere near a mechanic. However, if it was piston slap, it seems although it would get quieter as it warmed up, it wouldn't be more obvious and louder by simply downshifting and slowing down.

I wish I could swap the flywheel, clutch, and tranny, just for a day...

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
I wanted to add another perspective on this. Today I was doing some highway driving, and I could hear it, although extremely faint, in 6th gear around 2Kish rpm. That's about 80mph-ish, and contrary to what some believe, the wind noise is not so intense you can't hear anything.

Now, here's the key: I kept stabbing the gas pedal, which allowed me to, get this, "turn it on and off" at will. No way in hell this is piston slap or the DI/FI system. Why is it very faint in 6th? Its sound decreases with every gear you up. That has to be in the drivetrain somewhere. Again, I could be wrong, I'm nowhere near a mechanic. However, if it was piston slap, it seems although it would get quieter as it warmed up, it wouldn't be more obvious and louder by simply downshifting and slowing down.

Hey I am SO glad you brought this up....when I am driving around the city streets in 4th gear around 51-52 MPH... the 2k rattle is at it's worst in my car.... if I let off the gas and go down to about 47-48 mph.. then accelerate back up to 53-54mph... I can get the rattle to complete disappear.

I can literally make the rattle show up and disappear by stabbing the gas pedal and make it turn on and off directly like you are saying. It's absolutely wild.

Sponsored

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack

But it happens on auto also.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's definitely not piston-slap IMO, simply because it's not worse when cold, which should be the case (I've owned many vehicles with piston slap, including an F-150 with the 5.4V8). But it absolutely can be FI/DI, which is probably the case, since you can quiet it by just applying a bit of gas. Others have data-logged their cars, and the rattle coincides with FI-DI transitions. There's no other logical explanation to me, because both manuals and autos make it, and it's only on that relatively narrow rpm band (about 2K to 3K rpm).

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely not piston-slap IMO, simply because it's not worse when cold, which should be the case (I've owned many vehicles with piston slap, including an F-150 with the 5.4V8). But it absolutely can be FI/DI, which is probably the case, since you can quiet it by just applying a bit of gas. Others have data-logged their cars, and the rattle coincides with FI-DI transitions. There's no other logical explanation to me, because both manuals and autos make it, and it's only on that relatively narrow rpm band (about 2K to 3K rpm).
Interesting tid bit about the data logging. I haven't heard about that one before. I bet I can put my dash cam in the engine bay by the fuel pump driven by the cam on the passenger side and take it out on a cold morning and record the driver's side as well. Maybe I'll try it over the week. I'm guessing it should be very obvious in the audio...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey, that would be awesome; thank you. Actually, I forgot there's another possible source of the rattle: something related to the cam chain, including the phasers... but that'd have to be at the front of the engine. However, I'm almost certain the noise comes where the DI fuel pump is (right side of the engine, and behind), but your experiment will either confirm, or cancel that theory. Looking forward to your report :).
Sponsored