Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Same problem. Got my car weeks ago and noticed it within a couple drives. Brand New 2019 less than 200 miles. Does it under light throttle at low rpms. Goes away with more or less throttle. Wonderful.
Sponsored

JP_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Mine is doing this as well. I have an 18 w/35k miles. Has been doing it since I bought it and I am the first owner. I haven’t noticed any changes in performance. I assumed it was the clutch. Maybe I should take it to the dealer again and push them harder.

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
Mine is doing this as well. I have an 18 w/35k miles. Has been doing it since I bought it and I am the first owner. I haven’t noticed any changes in performance. I assumed it was the clutch. Maybe I should take it to the dealer again and push them harder.
I'll probably just ignore it. Seems like not a single person has got it fixed and it's incredibly common. I'll be more pissed at them keeping my car for weeks only to have it not be fixed.

JP_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had 2014 F150 that Ford ended up buying back, but my truck was literally in the shop for almost 7 months. I really don’t want to go through that again. With the luck I have had with brand new Ford’s, it’s a wonder why I am still a Ford guy at all.

grue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Base GT + PP1
i've had my 2018 gt pp1 for 16 months/5000miles now and noticed the rattle on the way home from the dealership. here's my experience with it.

if i shift at 1500-1800rpm in the mornings when i first go for the day, it's not noticeable. i might have heard it once or twice quietly but may not have shifted that low. this was going in a 25mph zone.

if i do the low rpm shifting and drive for a several miles, or until the engine is warmed up just into the 'normal' range, then the rattle is much less than not letting the engine warm up.

on cold days, less than 40/45 degrees F, rattle is the loudest when engine not warmed up.

even when engine is warm and i've driven many miles, i can hear the rattle even when rev'ing up to 6k rpm (quickly or slowly). it's persistently there, underneath the other awesome sounds. again it's only loudest when not warmed up.

at some point i might have them scope the cyl to see if there is uneven scoring or whatever.

i did/do wonder if it's related to clutch or transmission because i used to have a huge loud rattle when shifting above 5k rpm but that is almost all but gone now after 4k miles. if i let the clutch out slowly at those high rpms, i still have it but not as bad. i still have the 2k-2.5k rpm rattle and not when shifting like everyone else. and that hasn't seemed to get better as the shifting/clutch rattle has gotten better.

Sponsored

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
You guys are better then me. I thought I could live with it but it drove me nuts (doesnt help I spent most of my daily drive in that rpm range). Traded it in on a 2020 2SS and will never own a Ford product again. I have 4 receipts in 7 months telling me

typewriter tick was normal (mine was excessive.)
a loud thunk noise on acceleration (said it was a normal noise from my throw out bearing)
rattle (said it was normal)
last oil change they shorted me two quarts of oil. Realized it when I got home, put two quarts in, bring it back the next day and proceed to check the oil and tell me it was perfect (no shit, I had to put two quarts of oil in it). That was the straw that broke the camel's back.

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
This may ease some of our minds. This is a statement from Ford on the GT350 engine. Sounds like an exact description of what is happening on our cars, and they deem it to be normal.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt350-s550-tech/735579-piston-slap-is-expected.html

"SSM 46173 – Some 2016-2017 GT350 GT350 Mustangs Might Exhibit Piston Rattle From Idle To 3000 RPM

Some 2016-2017 Mustang Mustang GT350 GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from Idle- 3000 RPM.

The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips.

This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore.

This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine engine .

Once the engine engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm.

There are no durability concerns with this sound."

The characteristic is because of the aluminum pistons, they expand as they heat up. If the pistons fit snug like traditional pistons when cold, as they expanded from warming up, you would have too much friction and just burn up the cylinders.
amazon_icon.gif
amazon_icon.gif
amazon_icon.gif
amazon_icon.gif
amazon_icon.gif
amazon_icon.gif

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ The Coyote doesn't have forged pistons. Ford would have come out with a similat TSB for the Coyote by now if they know it's piston slap.

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
^^^ The Coyote doesn't have forged pistons. Ford would have come out with a similat TSB for the Coyote by now if they know it's piston slap.
Yes but they are aluminum which makes them prone to expanding when hot does it not ? That bulletin describes what I experience literally perfectly.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ If Ford knows for the Coyote that it's caused by normal piston slap like in the Voodoo, they would have put a TSB out by now to keep customers from going to the dealerships all the time about the noise and trying to get it fixed. That's what they did for the BBQ Tick, but it did literally take Ford about 8 years to put out the BBQ Tick TSB, which is crazy.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Suck this still exists. I had no 2k rattle/diesel sound until about 500 miles. I'm pretty sure I didn't notice it on the test drive or even early on and probably would have. The noise at first happening only when the car was cold but then pretty much all the time in 2nd gear 2k-2600rpm or so. Drove with the windows down which drowned it out a little bit but it was still annoying.

Sold the GT to Vroom only b/c I took almost no loss on the car and bought it at $8500K off MSRP. Otherwise I would have kept it and dealt with it I guess. Didn't seem to affect how the car drove but it was annoying hearing that sound at lowish speeds. A sound that didn't sound "right" but could have been harmless. Have had my '19 Camaro SS for 1yr now and not a single issue luckily. If you're buying a manual GT, you should do your research and know what to expect beforehand.

bizlipkick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Suck this still exists. I had no 2k rattle/diesel sound until about 500 miles. I'm pretty sure I didn't notice it on the test drive or even early on and probably would have. The noise at first happening only when the car was cold but then pretty much all the time in 2nd gear 2k-2600rpm or so. Drove with the windows down which drowned it out a little bit but it was still annoying.

Sold the GT to Vroom only b/c I took almost no loss on the car and bought it at $8500K off MSRP. Otherwise I would have kept it and dealt with it I guess. Didn't seem to affect how the car drove but it was annoying hearing that sound at lowish speeds. A sound that didn't sound "right" but could have been harmless. Have had my '19 Camaro SS for 1yr now and not a single issue luckily. If you're buying a manual GT, you should do your research and know what to expect beforehand.
I went back to a camaro also. while they can have issues also, none of my motors sounded like anything other then a V8. It socks on one hand because I think the mustang looks better, I had an Orange Fury also, but I couldn't take the noises .

rucus0101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Yes but they are aluminum which makes them prone to expanding when hot does it not ? That bulletin describes what I experience literally perfectly.
Typically they use high an alloy that is hyperutectic. It means it doesnt expand as much as a forged alum piston.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

How many times do you need to come on site and say the same thing? Just drive your Camaro and save your drivel for the bowtie crowd.

tps%3a%2f%2fstatic1.gamespot.com%2fuploads%2foriginal%2f104%2f1046196%2f3070171-9365046540-86539.gif

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
I had an engine 15 years ago which developed piston slap after 20,000 miles, it was confirmed and replaced by the manufacturer. It sounded different than most of the clips I have heard. When cold my engine would rattle like hell at all rpms, when warm it almost went away. The best way to describe mine is that it was more of a Very bad detonation sound but of a higher pitch metallic sound.
Sponsored