Sponsored

2018 GT engine rattle.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
You can hear the rattle in this video right around a minute 30. I've heard it in MANY 2018 Mustang review videos. I suspect what most of us are hearing is totally normal.
Yeah, i can hear it...interesting. So when I first heard the sound 2nd day of ownership my first instinct was that it was coming from inside the cabin and in the area of the stick shift. I grabbed the shifter put a little force to it and it stopped. I was sold it was something to do with either the tranny or the shift assembly. I then came here with that theory, but it was shut down by people saying they've replaced the lockout collar and in bigriver's case he had a tech look at the tranny and dismissed it as faulty, plus he had scored cylinders. So then came the "engine rattle". I only get the rattle under load, not in neutral. This puzzled the hell outta me.Because im going bat sh*t crazy over this i reverted back to my initial instinct of it being the shifter/tranny. Ive driven a 5 spd for 21 years and i have never felt such a "stubborn" shifter. 85% of the time it thuds or clunks going from
1st to 2nd and has that sensation its going to grind. 50% of the time it does the same thing 2nd to 3rd, but it stops there...no 3rd to 4th etc. So cruising around today during the rattle i grabbed the shifter and pushed forward with some force(in 3rd) and the rattle stopped. Let go...it returned. Was in 2nd, pulled shifter towards me, not down and bam! the rattle got 3 times louder instantly. Let go..went back to normal chatter. What the actual f*ck is going on here?lol I noticed the sound is louder during shifts as well, obviously off throttle. I know i shouldnt be wrenching on the shifter, so dont come at me bros. I just dont get it:shrug::headbonk::shrug:
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheKuhb

TheKuhb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang 2018 PP Mustang GT
Autos have the same noise, kinda rules out the shifter. The 10r80 auto replacement I'm getting for my 6spd make she noise also..

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
Add me to the list. Brand new 2019 less than 200 miles. Rattles under light throttle at low rpms and goes away with either more throttle or less. Fantastic.
Did you have it checked at dealership, curious to know what they have to say.

djpheer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP
NOPE..not going to waste my time. Out of 120 pages nobody has gotten this fixed. Seems it is deemed "normal" by dealerships at this point. The noise diminishes to acceptable levels when the car warms up fully.

Sponsored

Helios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen3 Coyote
NOPE..not going to waste my time. Out of 120 pages nobody has gotten this fixed. Seems it is deemed "normal" by dealerships at this point. The noise diminishes to acceptable levels when the car warms up fully.
Your right, im in the same boat. But i bought a brand new 2018 leftover that wasn't sold in 2020 and im not sure if they flushed oil (it could be factory fill still inside), because i negociated so much the price they din't even take time to wash it (LOL) so i highly doubt any maintenance has been done. To be safe i ordered 10 quarts of 5w30 and filter from dealership and im gonna do it myself i only rolled 3000 km with it since i have the car.

Ive read the track pack came with 5w50 and i think its too thick for anyone driving in the start-slow traffic often like me.

rtrdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I have a rattle between 1800 and 2500 took to a dealer said it was normal also

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Your right, im in the same boat. But i bought a brand new 2018 leftover that wasn't sold in 2020 and im not sure if they flushed oil (it could be factory fill still inside), because i negociated so much the price they din't even take time to wash it (LOL) so i highly doubt any maintenance has been done. To be safe i ordered 10 quarts of 5w30 and filter from dealership and im gonna do it myself i only rolled 3000 km with it since i have the car.

Ive read the track pack came with 5w50 and i think its too thick for anyone driving in the start-slow traffic often like me.
I would prefer the dealer to NOT wash my car and leave swirlmarks anyways.

My car rattles too, supercharged, 5w50 oil. Runs great

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That 'ratcheting' noise can be the A10 tranny or cam phaser(s), but sounds like an A10 tranny to me (you have an auto, right?), because the phasers would be much more subdued from where your phone is. Many A10 trannies make that noise hot or cold, but it shouldn't be there. My ex-2018 F-150 didn't make it. But not sure if Ford has labeled it as 'normal', like many other noises our powertrains make. You'd have to search to see what Ford said about that noise. Haven't seen that on this forum, but you could also look at the F-150 forum for reference. Good luck.

Sponsored

Hawkstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
I just bought a used 2018 GT manual with 7,000 miles and have researched this issue thoroughly over the last few weeks and wanted to share my thoughts and see what others that have posted on this thread have experienced in the last 14+ months since the last post.

First off, these are noisy cars and I knew that going in. I owned a 17 GT auto before this and it was nowhere near as noisy as the 18, but still made some odd sounds. With the 18 I have the very annoying “vibration rattle” the comes and goes from 2k RPM to 3.5k. I also thought it was the noisy MT82 but after much research and listening carefully while driving, I am 99% certain it is engine involved. I also get the random metal slap/ping at idle.

Since I have no idea what the former owner used for oil or where they took it, I had bought some Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 and a quart of Dura Lube Engine Treatment. I had read that ceratech or rislone helped with the engine noise, but I’m an old school fan of dura lube so I went with that. Also, it’s cold as heck here in Omaha so I didn’t want to go with a thicker oil.

I was driving her for a couple hours today and the rattle was very loud (and frustrating/concerning) and the idle slapping was bad as well, so I did the oil change right after so that I could have the noise volume fresh in my head. After the oil change (and cleaning up the massive oil spill from the way-too-large drain hole causing 10 quarts to gush out like a firehose) I started her up and listened. The slapping was still there but not as often and I could hear a loud rhythmic ticking that sounded like bad lifters. HOWEVER, I jumped in and gave her a rev (still in neutral and parked) to about 3k for a few seconds and it quickly started to quiet down.

After listening to it closely while parked and idle for a good 5 minutes I took her out for a spin. The rattle was still there off and on through 2k – 3.5k, but it was now MUCH quieter. I drove her spirited for a good 30 minutes and when I got her home I listened at idle again. No slapping and the rhythmic tick was normal level… she sounded like a $45k muscle car should.

As I said before, I researched this issue thoroughly and what I have concluded is that these cars are built for HP and fun, and Ford can’t keep the price down without sacrificing some noise issues. I think that stupid sound tube might be making these noises more prevalent in the cabin and I am taking that off tomorrow to see if I am correct. I don’t buy into the “2018 bad batch” theory as there are other model years older and newer with the same issues.

Bottom line, my advice is use really good motor oil and a good additive, and if you don’t do your own oil change make damn sure the shop is actually using what you request. Then throw that sound tube in the trash and just accept that our badass rides are noisy beasts and enjoy the drive. Out of all these complaints on youtube and forums, I have yet to find one where their engine actually died or lost performance. For me, that’s enough to stop sweating it.

Sorry for the long post.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
its a crap shoot tbh... some make noise and are ok, some make noise and get new engines... no way to tell.. also depends who you talk to. if u got a warranty it doesn't matter.
Sponsored