txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed Manual
Track Day: February 26 & 27, 2022

Decided to try out Autocross for the first time! Spent a very cold and wet Saturday in a local high school parking lot with Texas Region SCCA learning the ins-and-outs of Autocross in preparation for their first Solo Event (their term for Autocross) the next day.

Part of the education and training was centered around the corner worker duties, as all drivers are required to work sometime during the event while others compete. Most importantly we learned all about the penalties for hitting cones (If your car causes a cone to fall over or get knocked completely out of its box, it's a 2-second penalty.)

IMG_0592.jpeg

The actual event on Sunday was held in a much larger parking lot located at Lone Star Park (horse track) at Grand Prairie. Track day prep was much easier than normal as I didnā€™t have to mess with my race brakes since I wouldnā€™t be hitting closed road course speeds.

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

Although I had a good time, I ultimately felt that Autocross isnā€™t for me. I really missed the high speed nature of my closed road course track days!
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Track Day: February 26 & 27, 2022

Decided to try out Autocross for the first time! Spent a very cold and wet Saturday in a local high school parking lot with Texas Region SCCA learning the ins-and-outs of Autocross in preparation for their first Solo Event (their term for Autocross) the next day.

Part of the education and training was centered around the corner worker duties, as all drivers are required to work sometime during the event while others compete. Most importantly we learned all about the penalties for hitting cones (If your car causes a cone to fall over or get knocked completely out of its box, it's a 2-second penalty.)

IMG_0592.jpeg

The actual event on Sunday was held in a much larger parking lot located at Lone Star Park (horse track) at Grand Prairie. Track day prep was much easier than normal as I didnā€™t have to mess with my race brakes since I wouldnā€™t be hitting closed road course speeds.

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0623.jpeg

Although I had a good time, I ultimately felt that Autocross isnā€™t for me. I really missed the high speed nature of my closed road course track days!
I think autocross is fun, but it really feels restricting when you have a highly capable car like this, especially if you're used to track driving. Only major positive is you can learn how to smooth your inputs with low risk and low consumable wear.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
This is awesome! I've gone through a lot of the same experiences you've had with my previous mustang. I'm definitely going to use this as a guide for my new GT and the start of its time off public roads :)

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
I think autocross is fun, but it really feels restricting when you have a highly capable car like this, especially if you're used to track driving. Only major positive is you can learn how to smooth your inputs with low risk and low consumable wear.
Totally agree on all points! I may take a look at Autocross as a summer alternative as it gets ridiculously hot down here in Tejas!

Would also give me a chance to really commit to Autocross for a 3-4 month period to get a better feel for it šŸ¤”

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
This is awesome! I've gone through a lot of the same experiences you've had with my previous mustang. I'm definitely going to use this as a guide for my new GT and the start of its time off public roads :)
Love your green GT! What did you have before?

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Love your green GT! What did you have before?
Thank you! I had a 2016 V6 is Guard Green Metallic. I guess I have a thing for cool green colors! The v6 was fbo with a tune, full suspension, full steeda chassis bracing, and a circle d torque converter. Was decently quick in the corners because it was 3300 pounds! But pretty average in the straights, lol. Loved that car but decided to upgrade to the GT.

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I had a 2016 V6 is Guard Green Metallic. I guess I have a thing for cool green colors! The v6 was fbo with a tune, full suspension, full steeda chassis bracing, and a circle d torque converter. Was decently quick in the corners because it was 3300 pounds! But pretty average in the straights, lol. Loved that car but decided to upgrade to the GT.
Nice! Iā€™m assuming the ā€˜23 is pretty much stock right now? How does it handle compared to your modded ā€˜16?

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build Date: April 16-20, 2022

OK, now itā€™s time to get serious about my track daysā€¦ Time to take this base GT suspension and take it up a notch. After a lot of research on these forums, I decided to go all in on the Ford Performance Track Handling Pack (M-FR3A-M8A). I made this decision based on feedback that it really firmed up the suspension without making it unbearable on the street. I also wanted a complete kit designed to work together without me having to figure out how to mix-and-match parts.

At this point, Iā€™m still running with the stock GT 14ā€ rotors with the 4-piston calipers, but I know that Iā€™ll eventually bump up to the 15ā€ rotors and the 6-piston Brembos. So, since Iā€™m already working on the suspension, I decided to future proof with the Performance Pack Front Control Arm Kit (M-3075-F) with the brake air deflectors on the lower control arms.

Huge shout-out to @StrongFord for his Track Pack Toe Link Control Arm Bearing Install How-To - It can be done! thread. This was the absolute hardest part of the install and I was honestly thinking of giving up on this part or maybe having the car towed to a mechanic to have them install the spherical bearing. But, thanks to this amazing forum and its amazing members I was able to get it done!

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0922.jpeg

IMG_0916.jpeg

The suspension drop gave her a drastically improved stance and Iā€™ll later get a lot of complements on the handling from my HPDE instructors!

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Iā€™m assuming the ā€˜23 is pretty much stock right now? How does it handle compared to your modded ā€˜16?
Yes the '23 is bone stock. You definitely notice the extra weight! To be honest I was quite surprised how flat the GT stays in the corners. However the stock suspension is a little floaty at high speeds. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I have a ton of grip both front and rear. Might be the brand new MPS4s though :) The v6 was like a scalpel, I had to be precise and if I was it ran pretty good. The GT is closer to a hammer, I still have to be precise but I have so much power I can point and shoot. The 10 speed is definitely something to get used to. Its voodoo witchcraft how it makes this car so much faster. But sometimes feels like a video game downshifting 7 times just to get into 3rd gear!

The brakes are way more powerful, but notice they get hot pretty quick. I'm going to have to adjust my braking zones accordingly. I think the stock brakes are fine for what I'll be pushing on my daily driver. I still have to drive the car back home after the track days :)

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Track Date: May 16, 2022

Monday Funday with The Edge Addicts out at MSR Cresson on the full 3.1 mile CCW course. This was a really great event as I got to have a couple of sessions with my very first HPDE instructor from my first event in 2021! She drives a green 2019 PP2 that you can partially see in the first photo. She was happy to see I was still driving and improving šŸ˜

This was the first track day with the new suspension and what a difference it made! The car felt much more planted in the flat And planted in the corners.

Another first for this event was using the Schroth QuickFit Pro four point harness. At 6ā€™2ā€ and 210 lbs I was getting tossed around a bit just using the factory seat belt (even with locking the seat belt retractor). The harness does a great job of securing me and keeping me from moving around šŸ‘

IMG_1083.jpeg

IMG_1077.jpeg

IMG_0010.jpeg

IMG_0016.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Track Date: May 21-22, 2022

This was a really fun 2 day HPDE event put on by The Drivers Edge at Eagles Canyon Raceway running counter clockwise. Even got to hang out with a couple Mach 1s. These two guys are retired friends that bought their cars to enjoy on the track. I really love meeting friendly people like this and it adds another level of enjoyment for track days šŸ‘

The only downside to the day was getting a SES dash light later in the day during one of the hotter sessions. Read the codes (P0300, P0305, P0306 Misfires), cleared them, took her back out for more.

IMG_1119.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpg

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
I'm definitely curious to see what the codes ended up being caused by lol
Spoiler alert: Still a problem for hot sessions šŸ˜¢

OP
OP
txgt

txgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Build date: May 27, 2022

Since the last track day was on a Sunday, I didnā€™t have time to swap back to the street setup immediately and so I drove to work for a week with the track rotors and padsā€¦very embarrassing stopping with the brakes screeching šŸ˜¬

Friday morning I worked from home so was able to wake up early and go back to the street setup. Also gave her a good bath to get the track off of her šŸ§½šŸ«§

IMG_1150.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

Last edited: