breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Did high beams work properly even though steering wheel controls didn’t? If so that tells you the issue is in the SCCM. If nothing changed then it’s likley an issue with the IPC config since they worked before (as far as I know) but just without an indication. I don’t see it being an issue with the BCM since like I said they worked before the IPC config change.

Might be a stupid question but when you found the IPC indicator data, was that ABD pulled from a 18 without auto high beams?
Ok so here's the status on the high beams. When you install the new IPC only, without programming the ABD, the high beams work with indication. If you copy ABD from a 2018 the indication goes away but high beams still work. After making one change of ABD (720-09-01 xxxx 0xxx) in the IPC you get your high beams indication and they still work. IPC code does NOT change how the high beams operate it only changes if the indication works or not.

Once you change the SCCM the high beams will only work with flash to pass. They will not stay on. Does not matter if you have your OEM SCCM programming or programming directly from a 2018. Or programming from a 2018 with your old steering wheel controls line. They still do not work.

I do NOT think its an IPC issue. The IPC doesn't command the lights at all as far as I know. Its just the indication. The SCCM tells the BCM to turn the high beams/turn signals on when you press the button. My guess is the 2018's have a different way the BCM is told this for whatever reason and thats where the disconnect it happening. I could be wrong though.

Does that make sense?

The IPC indicator data was found by my testing. That bit was not set in any 2018. My best guess is the BCM also tells the IPC wether to indicate high beams (or other lights) on or off. It would be nice to know exactly what module sends that data to the IPC. Would tell us where the problem is.
Sponsored

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
I do NOT think its an IPC issue. The IPC doesn't command the lights at all as far as I know. Its just the indication. The SCCM tells the BCM to turn the high beams/turn signals on when you press the button. My guess is the 2018's have a different way the BCM is told this for whatever reason and thats where the disconnect it happening. I could be wrong though.

Does that make sense?

Here is how the high beams and flash to pass are designed to work on 15-17 Mustangs. It’s straight from the repair manual. Maybe someone with access to it can post the according section from the 2018 manual

03F30F8C-595C-4EE7-9B59-559DF0BEA46F.jpeg

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yeah thats how I figured they were actuated. They didn't say it but I bet the BCM sends the signal to the IPC that they're enabled then.

buzz-dee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium PP
Most probably yes.
When it comes to front and rear fog lights, the IPC is getting told by the BCM to light up the appropriate indicator. I’d bet it’s the same with the high beams.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
For the hell of it see if you can swap your old turn signal control switch into the new SCCM. They should be separate parts. From what I am understating from your statements, the high beams function with indication with a fully programmed IPC and stock SCCM but do not work with the new SCCM. There might be a hardware difference in the control switch you are receiving that’s causing the issue. Swapping in your OEM switch will at least eliminate that as a potential issue.

Sponsored

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
For the hell of it see if you can swap your old turn signal control switch into the new SCCM. They should be separate parts. From what I am understating from your statements, the high beams function with indication with a fully programmed IPC and stock SCCM but do not work with the new SCCM. There might be a hardware difference in the control switch you are receiving that’s causing the issue. Swapping in your OEM switch will at least eliminate that as a potential issue.
I thought of trying this last week but I highly doubt the switches are actually different. It is pretty easy to do so its worth a try. I'll probably try it tomorrow as I drove my Focus to work today.

If all else fails I have this device called a bus pirate and what I'll do is hook it into CAN and watch what the exact message that is sent when I hit the high beams. This device "pirates" the bus. I can inject messages in too if I want to. I'll do that with BOTH SCCMs and see if the message is different.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I thought of trying this last week but I highly doubt the switches are actually different. It is pretty easy to do so its worth a try. I'll probably try it tomorrow as I drove my Focus to work today.

If all else fails I have this device called a bus pirate and what I'll do is hook it into CAN and watch what the exact message that is sent when I hit the high beams. This device "pirates" the bus. I can inject messages in too if I want to. I'll do that with BOTH SCCMs and see if the message is different.
I doubt it as well but as long as it is easy to do it is worth it to eliminate a potential unknown. My thinking is that the SCCM you guys are receiving might be setup for auto high beams which just might have a different hardware switch.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I doubt it as well but as long as it is easy to do it is worth it to eliminate a potential unknown. My thinking is that the SCCM you guys are receiving might be setup for auto high beams which just might have a different hardware switch.
AHB shouldn't have a different hardware switch.

We have tested 3/6 SCCM part numbers. 2 without auto wipers and 1 with auto wipers.

-JA (variable/noheated wheel)
-HA (variable/heated wheel)
-AA (auto/??heated wheel)

None of them have working high beams.

Like I said though, definitely worth a shot. I'll try tonight or tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

Edit: What package do you need on the 2018's to get auto wipers?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
AHB shouldn't have a different hardware switch.

We have tested 3/6 SCCM part numbers. 2 without auto wipers and 1 with auto wipers.

-JA (variable/noheated wheel)
-HA (variable/heated wheel)
-AA (auto/??heated wheel)

None of them have working high beams.

Like I said though, definitely worth a shot. I'll try tonight or tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

What I am thinking is that non auto 15-17 high beams might have an internal latch or hold that the new switches do not have. That would be the only way a hardware difference would solve the issue IMO.

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
What I am thinking is that non auto 15-17 high beams might have an internal latch or hold that the new switches do not have. That would be the only way a hardware difference would solve the issue IMO.
The 15-17 also had auto high beams as an option so I wonder if theres a different part number for those cars?

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
They do not.

Also remember, the '18's have LED headlights, not the HIDs.
No part number difference between auto high beam switch and manual?

Fordparts updated and as such took away my abilities to find full part numbers....

Reverend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT PP
The "Safe & Smart" package

$1,495 (S4)
Add
The Safe & Smart Package includes:
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• Auto High Beam
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane Keeping System
• Memory: Driver Seat (three (3) settings), Mirrors and Ambient Lighting
• Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
– Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
– Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support
• Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
No part number difference between auto high beam switch and manual?

Fordparts updated and as such took away my abilities to find full part numbers....
Might be a part number difference, but for '15-'17 there is no latch, detent, or hold on the multi-function lever for manual high-beams.

Now, you might see this as a ridiculous question, but... this testing involves pushing the multi-function lever forward for high beams, right?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
A little help from a friend...

2018:

High Beam

The high beam indicator informs the driver that the high beams are turned on. The IPC receives the headlamp high beam status message from the GWM over the HS-CAN3. The GWM receives the headlamp high beam status message from the SCCM module over the HS-CAN2.

2017:

High Beam

The high beam indicator informs the driver that the high beams are turned on. The IPC receives the headlamp high/low status message from the GWM over the HS-CAN3. The GWM receives the headlamp high/low status message from the BCM module over the HS-CAN1.

Check GWM (gateway module) for ABD differences.
Sponsored