Sponsored

2018+ Change in Aerodynamics with a grille change?

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
You should be fine. Closing off air flow would be a person's greater concern. I only went with a GT500 style hood b/c I have numerous carbon fiber parts under hood with resin that is not as heat forgiving as Ford-engineered components. Again, you should be okay.
Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
what is mls ? = miles

Damnd , in germany we pay about 2 $ per liter for 98octane petrol.

:crying: :angry::devil:
And your 98 Octane is equal to 93.5 in the US. Basically our Premium that averages about $1-$1.20 a liter.

OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
And your 98 Octane is equal to 93.5 in the US. Basically our Premium that averages about $1-$1.20 a liter.
Not for much longer. A big hurt is coming shortly.

But nothing like the spittless cornholing the Europeans get. :cwl:

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I was just recently wondering the same about why we have parts of our grill blocked off and why those triangular "ducts" below the fogs are blocked off??? I've been pondering the effects of more open grill and opening up those ducts as well...

Reason being, that I am experiencing heating issues with the 10R80 on track for casual HPDE, and I am by no means a fast lapper. I am on street rubber and stock car, but on hot California days(90F+), I get awfully close to 230F+ trans temp if I'm not careful or taking easy laps during sessions. I had to completely switch to using paddles to even keep myself below 240F+ as the auto track mode shifts so often to keep in optimal gear.

I am considering extra ducting, more airflow and even bigger coolers(Mishi/setrab in lower grill or even in fender like GT350?) But wanted to go as conservative/inexpensive as possible. This is already an expensive hobby and I am unfortunately not made of money lol.

A lot of the stuff on this car makes sense, but also a lot doesn't make any sense at all. Is there any performance improvement to 2018 bumper over 2015-2017?

Why oh why are these blocked off :angry: - Really wish we had closer to Mach 1 or GT500 bumper airflow, and I doubt it would have cost them much more to design a bumper with better airflow. I heard that the base GT have those triangle vents open, and PP cars are closed because the PP cars have cooling ducts under that routes air to the brakes already?
grill blocked off.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was just recently wondering the same about why we have parts of our grill blocked off and why those triangular "ducts" below the fogs are blocked off??? I've been pondering the effects of more open grill and opening up those ducts as well...

Reason being, that I am experiencing heating issues with the 10R80 on track for casual HPDE, and I am by no means a fast lapper. I am on street rubber and stock car, but on hot California days(90F+), I get awfully close to 230F+ trans temp if I'm not careful or taking easy laps during sessions. I had to completely switch to using paddles to even keep myself below 240F+ as the auto track mode shifts so often to keep in optimal gear.

I am considering extra ducting, more airflow and even bigger coolers(Mishi/setrab in lower grill or even in fender like GT350?) But wanted to go as conservative/inexpensive as possible. This is already an expensive hobby and I am unfortunately not made of money lol.

A lot of the stuff on this car makes sense, but also a lot doesn't make any sense at all. Is there any performance improvement to 2018 bumper over 2015-2017?

Why oh why are these blocked off :angry: - Really wish we had closer to Mach 1 or GT500 bumper airflow, and I doubt it would have cost them much more to design a bumper with better airflow. I heard that the base GT have those triangle vents open, and PP cars are closed because the PP cars have cooling ducts under that routes air to the brakes already?
grill blocked off.jpg
My biggest mystery is the triangles. They have actual ductwork behind them but are blocked .

The Cervini gives the CAI a direct shot.

There are a few members who race their 10R80 S550 and added trans cooler seems to help quite a bit. I saw another member added rear axle cooler and pump.

That trans won't last with high temps.

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
My biggest mystery is the triangles. They have actual ductwork behind them but are blocked .

The Cervini gives the CAI a direct shot.

There are a few members who race their 10R80 S550 and added trans cooler seems to help quite a bit. I saw another member added rear axle cooler and pump.

That trans won't last with high temps.
I've only ever gotten it close to 240F once but corrected usage with paddles and never again got that high, I also try to keep it below 230F with the paddles, occasional easy laps with an @Flyhalf inspired water spray system for the trans cooler.

I will probably start off with higher airflow grill(Like Cervini) and adding an additional trans radiator to the lower grill area? I don't really have a good idea of what PP1 10r80 cars look like without the bumper on so I don't know where the airflow is good and where I can place an additional cooler.

I know that some forum members here and elsewhere have thrown the kitchen sink at this issue and mostly resolved it, but dang, wish it was an easier fix! 😂

aw081271

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT , MY 2020
in fact, the Bullitt-Style Grill is more open than the Original Equipment Grill.
not very much, I don't know if that makes a difference either.

Screenshot_20220218-023115_Gallery.png

Screenshot_20220218-022955_Gallery.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The change concerned me.
which just demonstrates you are in need of education in the subject matter.

You can cram only so much airflow thru a radiator. And optimal flow requires boxing, flow smoothing, and proper exhaust venting into a low-pressure area. NONE of which Ford bothered to do on the non-Shelby cars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Firsttexan

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
which just demonstrates you are in need of education in the subjectmatter.
Which is why I posted the thread. Thanks for the education.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Consequences for an open grill is a bit less effective cooling at speed, and possibly a tiny amount of drag, both of which may be neglegible for 98% of street cars.

The size of the factory grill area is 100% a Ford styling design choice. The car wants a smaller opening for optimal airflow through the radiator, which is why the stock one is restricted.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Which is why I posted the thread. Thanks for the education.
and yet you got snippy with a couple posts that pointed out you were barking up the wrong tree.
your local Univ Library should have a compendium of textbooks that should help.

Over in the HPDE (and individual builds) sections there are a couple threads where people have boxed their rads and taken other measures.

If you have an A10 and are flogging it, you need a hella lot more cooling.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
I heard that the base GT have those triangle vents open, and PP cars are closed because the PP cars have cooling ducts under that routes air to the brakes already?
grill blocked off.jpg
Not trying to be mean, but what?

The PP Mustangs do have these sweet lower control arms which have air deflectors into the back of the brakes, helping cool them down.

1645165499860.png

... lucky bastards.

Know what the Base GT gets? Imagine that, but without that plate, and a place on there to scre one in.

Ford being as cheap as they are, would also not want to extend an olive branch to the base GT owners, because they're generally poor people who have zero cares about racing, so them going the extra mile to put holes in that lower/side triangle scoop makes zero sense, because they'd have to carry yet another SKU, further fill up inventory shelves, and increase their overall cost since there are more base GT's than PP's by a wide margin.

The other big thing and reason why they don't do it, is because the Base GT has an incredibly dangerous set of stock brakes, as the rotor is inverted, leaving the heat trapped inside with no way to escape. In as little as one lap, you can boil your brake fluid and find yourself in a very scary and real world of doom.

You'd have to be some kind of special idiot to race a base GT anyhow.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford being as cheap as they are, would also not want to extend an olive branch to the base GT owners, because they're generally poor people who have zero cares about racing, so them going the extra mile to put holes in that lower/side triangle scoop makes zero sense, because they'd have to carry yet another SKU, further fill up inventory shelves, and increase their overall cost since there are more base GT's than PP's by a wide margin.
I think those holes were open on some early non PP cars ? I understood it was for aerodynamics rather than cooling but it was ineffective on the larger tyre PP cars, hence why they were blocked.

The other big thing and reason why they don't do it, is because the Base GT has an incredibly dangerous set of stock brakes, as the rotor is inverted, leaving the heat trapped inside with no way to escape. In as little as one lap, you can boil your brake fluid and find yourself in a very scary and real world of doom.
I think this has recently changed :

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/base-gt-brake-rotor-revision-vents-on-the-inside.171875/

WD :like:

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT RTR series 1 PP2
Not trying to be mean, but what?

The PP Mustangs do have these sweet lower control arms which have air deflectors into the back of the brakes, helping cool them down.

1645165499860.png

... lucky bastards.

Know what the Base GT gets? Imagine that, but without that plate, and a place on there to scre one in.

You'd have to be some kind of special idiot to race a base GT anyhow.
The holes in the lower triangle are for the air curtain to direct air around the outside of the tires. They increase gas mileage, and are closed on pp cars with wider wheels. It's been discussed in other threads. Search for key words "air curtain".

Edit: changed the typo "works" to "words"
Sponsored

Last edited: