2018 CAI. Buy soon or wait?

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2021 401A Security pckg 20x9 Chrome Wheel Upgrade
Looking for zero warranty drama After market CAI for show with what ever go I can get.

I noticed a number of no tune units that have their own MAF claiming Silimiar power increases as intake plus tune (usually in the 19 to 25 range) and one in particular would look quite good for engine dress up.

I had previously planned to just sit back and wait for Ford to do an official power pack for the 18s....

This chrome bbk for example claims a 20hp gain by using its maf and no tune, using an integral maf and no tune .

https://www.bbkperformance.com/mustang-gt-cold-air-intake-18.html

It has a nice show look...better than roush, JLT, Pmas etc.

The K&N typhoons looks good also but not quite as good...and w 4hp advertised less.

Please advise

Only thing I don't like is that the box looks less efficient than stock or steeda
1452_1.jpg
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If your goal is just for show, that's what you'll get with that and the regular stock tune.

The claims with no tune are BS though. These intakes only wake up once a tune is introduced and more air is pulled in to the engine. Performance is going to be the same on majority of these on a regular stock tune.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Stay with the stock box and toss in a K&N panel filter and remove the carbon trap. Add a Vellosa tech snorkel if you want to get all of the benefits.

The 18+ OEM intake is much bigger than the previous ones, which were already pretty decent. No real gains without a tune.

OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
So the custom MAF claims form PMAS and BBK etc are complete BS then??

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Stock tune, do not waste time and money on a hot air box. Hell, even with a tune don't. Sealed lid are what makes power by keeping IAT's lower. If you ever go tuned, go with the Steeda closed lid.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
Stock tune, do not waste time and money on a hot air box. Hell, even with a tune don't. Sealed lid are what makes power by keeping IAT's lower. If you ever go tuned, go with the Steeda closed lid.
Depends if he's on e85 or not. If so colder IAT's do nothing for any ethanol or methanol car. Now if it's a 93 tune then yeah get the IAT's as low as possible

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Depends if he's on e85 or not. If so colder IAT's do nothing for any ethanol or methanol car. Now if it's a 93 tune then yeah get the IAT's as low as possible

OP made it known that he's looking for no tune options at this time. Unless I read it wrong.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
OP made it known that he's looking for no tune options at this time. Unless I read it wrong.
You are correct, my apologies! I kept seeing everyone mention tune and forgot the original post!

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Allentown

Allentown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
Have they solved the turbulence issue w the Steeda box and if so, who makes the best tune for it

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Have they solved the turbulence issue w the Steeda box and if so, who makes the best tune for it
Running a flex tune? That is where the issue is or was.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We have been very happy with both our Steeda tune & the Lund tune - both are great!

And yes, the CAI only saw issues during the Flex tune.

Best Regards,

TJ

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
We have been very happy with both our Steeda tune & the Lund tune - both are great!

And yes, the CAI only saw issues during the Flex tune.

Best Regards,

TJ
This. Straight pump or e85 the maf turbulence issue is no longer a concern, only detrimental on flex.
Sponsored