2018 Base Ecoboost PP fog light install

IbanezRG7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost PP
I got a deal on a bumper from a GT that included everything from the grilles to the fog light turn signals which don’t come on base model Ecoboosts. I have purchased a new headlight switch that also operates the fogs (Part #: SW6985, the one without the level adjustment). To my understanding, it’s partially plug-n-play, in that with the new switch it’ll work, but no indicator for the lights being on in the cluster. I assume ForScan would be able to deal with that.

Has anyone tried this on a 2018+ base eco? Am I missing anything here?

Also, I have a super cheap eBay ELM cable that I used on my old Focus to enable sport mode on it... if the cable worked for that, should it work to enable stuff on the Mustang? (The ELM cable doesn’t have the switch on it)

Many thanks, and I will update this thread when the light swap is complete.

EDIT: after some thought, this may be in the wrong section, Mods feel free to move if necessary.
Sponsored

Zambonicassoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Need for Green Ecoboost 101a
I got a deal on a bumper from a GT that included everything from the grilles to the fog light turn signals which don’t come on base model Ecoboosts. I have purchased a new headlight switch that also operates the fogs (Part #: SW6985, the one without the level adjustment). To my understanding, it’s partially plug-n-play, in that with the new switch it’ll work, but no indicator for the lights being on in the cluster. I assume ForScan would be able to deal with that.

Has anyone tried this on a 2018+ base eco? Am I missing anything here?

Also, I have a super cheap eBay ELM cable that I used on my old Focus to enable sport mode on it... if the cable worked for that, should it work to enable stuff on the Mustang? (The ELM cable doesn’t have the switch on it)

Many thanks, and I will update this thread when the light swap is complete.

EDIT: after some thought, this may be in the wrong section, Mods feel free to move if necessary.
What I found interesting is the 2018+ base gauges have a fog light indicator, and it even lights up when you go into the test mode to check the indicator lights. Only reason I could see the indicator not turning on is due to the programming in the cluster being unable to be changed. Here's a picture in the test mode, on the speedometer side, they clearly light up.
IMAG0603.jpg

OP
OP

IbanezRG7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost PP
I just wanted to provide an update. I finally went ahead and ordered a proper ELM cable capable of accessing MS/HS via a switch and completed this swap. Within Forscan, it was as simple as enabling foglights under the IPC module to get the cluster indicator on. Aside from that, the switch was obviously plug and play as were the lights themselves. Prior to enabling the foglights in Forscan, they were still fully functional, just without the indicator light. Now that I have the lights fully functional, time to see what other goodies I can enable on my base model.

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
Bringing back this old thread! So if I find the 2 fog lights in a junkyard and the interior switch, the rest is plug and play? Without the fog light indicator in the cluster. Am I missing something?

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a
Bringing back this old thread! So if I find the 2 fog lights in a junkyard and the interior switch, the rest is plug and play? Without the fog light indicator in the cluster. Am I missing something?
It was for me. I knew I was not going to have an issue when I saw the turn signal connector had 6 wires IIRC.

Sponsored

OP
OP

IbanezRG7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost PP
That’s literally it. To enable to the dash light it’s fairly easy as well, just requiring a setting flipped in Forscan. Took me all of 2 minutes to enable.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Thinking of ordering a 2021 101A to replace my 2016 100A.

The 101A comes with lots of stuff that the older 100A does not have EXCEPT FOG LIGHTS.

The 2016 Fog lamps were real glass lens and lower to the ground for better functionality than the integrated with T/S 2018-up so I really did not care that much. Was hoping someone would come out with a stock-looking '18-21 lower grill replacement with decent fogs, but 4 years into current front end style and nothing so far.

In searching, I did find the Starkey 100A & 101A Fog Light upgrade kit that includes OE Ford Lamp assemblies w/ Fogs and a custom wiring harness for $600 (or $270 for just the wiring).

But if what you are saying is TRUE that it is plug & play with a little Forscan tweaking why does Starkey bother making and selling a "custom wiring harness" ?? I assumed the reason was that the O.E. Fog Light wiring is NOT there on 100A & 101A.

You can find the JR3Z-13200-A & JR3Z-201-A Parking Lamp Assy's w/ Fogs for around $150-Each+shipping&tax, so Starkey's $600 is not too bad IF the WIRING is REALLY NEEDED. Also NOTE that the dash indicator DOES NOT light with the Starkey harness nor do they go off when high beams are activated.

Really was not all that keen of running a separate wiring harness and the $300 savings of just Plug & Play with some Forscan tweaking makes it much more tempting of a mod.

Any 2019 thru 2021 100A or 101A owners do this successfully yet ??

Doug

OP
OP

IbanezRG7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost PP

The 101A comes with lots of stuff that the older 100A does not have EXCEPT FOG LIGHTS.

The 2016 Fog lamps were real glass lens and lower to the ground for better functionality than the integrated with T/S 2018-up so I really did not care that much. Was hoping someone would come out with a stock-looking '18-21 lower grill replacement with decent fogs, but 4 years into current front end style and nothing so far.

In searching, I did find the Starkey 100A & 101A Fog Light upgrade kit that includes OE Ford Lamp assemblies w/ Fogs and a custom wiring harness for $600 (or $270 for just the wiring).

But if what you are saying is TRUE that it is plug & play with a little Forscan tweaking why does Starkey bother making and selling a "custom wiring harness" ?? I assumed the reason was that the O.E. Fog Light wiring is NOT there on 100A & 101A.

You can find the JR3Z-13200-A & JR3Z-201-A Parking Lamp Assy's w/ Fogs for around $150-Each+shipping&tax, so Starkey's $600 is not too bad IF the WIRING is REALLY NEEDED. Also NOTE that the dash indicator DOES NOT light with the Starkey harness nor do they go off when high beams are activated.

Really was not all that keen of running a separate wiring harness and the $300 savings of just Plug & Play with some Forscan tweaking makes it much more tempting of a mod.

Doug
I can’t say with 100% certainty on the 2019-2021, however, my 18 is almost as base as you get, just with a performance pack and it truly was plug and play. The fog light has an extra pin that the non-fog one simply skips. The connecting harness in the vehicle is the same for both and I don’t see why Ford would change that in 2019+.

I saw that Starkey kit and I believe they only include a harness because a lot of companies offering these upgrades are avoiding confusing people by not even mentioning Forscan and offering a program-less option.
FE95E636-8EDF-4792-839E-791D6213B5F1.jpeg
53BA9484-FB46-4E27-B6AF-3A033AB09D3C.jpeg

101a

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost 101a

If you look around their site, they take pride in their custom wiring harnesses. It was totally needed for the 15-17 MY. I do wonder if they jumped the gun and assumed that hadn't changed with the 18+

Doug
You have the part numbers right there. JR3 means model year 2018 Mustang. https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/how-to-decode-ford-part-numbers/ The 2018 model was not some flash in the pan, its changes still carry over to 2021.

If you can get your hands on a 2021 base model, and open the hood, you can reach down and unplug the turn signal and count the wires in the harness. I didn't know that was a possibility until I put in the Starykey turn signal kit. Watch this around the 5:30 mark and you can see how easy it is to pull it out. You do that and you'll have your answer.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
You have the part numbers right there. JR3 means model year 2018 Mustang.
I used to know how to decipher Ford P/N's back when:
C9** = 1969
D9** = 1979
E9** = 1989 etc.

But when they changed from this system to the current one, I never bothered to figure it out !!

Thanks for all the rest of the info too, just did not want to quote your whole post.

Doug

Sponsored

alexaben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
alexa
Vehicle(s)
civic
That is in a real sense it. To empower to the scramble light it's genuinely simple too, simply requiring a setting flipped in Forscan

Last edited:

Boldt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang Ecoboost Blackout Edition M/T
I am looking to add oem fog lights to my wife's 2019 ecoboost base, came across this thread. Can anyone confirm, do I need to install the wiring harness or can I just plug in the lights and switch?

O.L.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joël
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost NFG
I am looking to add oem fog lights to my wife's 2019 ecoboost base, came across this thread. Can anyone confirm, do I need to install the wiring harness or can I just plug in the lights and switch?
You only need to add the lights and the switch. The only thing you won't have is the fog lights icon in the dash. It's plug and play.

OP
OP

IbanezRG7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clint
Vehicle(s)
2018 EcoBoost PP
If you want to enable the light in the gauge cluster that indicates when the fog lights are on/off, you will need a PC with a program called Forscan and an OBDII/USB cable. I recommend checking out Forscan guides before trying that but it’s pretty easy if you’re savvy with computers and stuff. From there, in forscan, you just tell it that your car has fog lights and he dash light is enabled.

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
I ordered my 2021 101A on April 12th and it is being built this week.

As crazy as things are, I was holding off on buying parts for it until it was actually in production.

Well, I should have ordered the fog lamps & switch as they have now increased in cost by an insane amount:
Switch was $45.60 MSRP now $88.73
Lights were $222.65 MSRP now $700.92 !!

Best prices I found back in March was $28.84 for the switch & $153.63 Each for lights or $336.10 total + shipping & tax (which at the time I thought was too much $$ for these 3 items).

Today's totals would be $1,490.17/$1,023.10 (MSRP/NET) + shipping & tax or a 304% increase.

I think I'll be happy just getting the car when it comes in and going without fog-lights for now !!

Doug
Sponsored