Sponsored

2018 5.0 better OPG?

stevnoof1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Yo, fellow NJ guy. How are you running E85? I would love to, but I didn't think we had any E85 in NJ
There is one gas station I know of in the hood of east orange called power gas . I have 4 vp jugs so I'll go there every now and then and fill them up. I only run it when I go drag racing. Also if you go drag racing I'm pretty sure race way in English town has a pump there with race gas and e85 plus they sell pales of race gas.
Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Alejandro Flores (a VMP tuner) on YouTube has some interesting things to say about OPGs.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Alejandro Flores (a VMP tuner) on YouTube has some interesting things to say about OPGs.
Just finished watching VMP's Tuesday live stream. Basically if its on your mind, swap them and forget about it.

Ignorance is bliss, Knowledge is power.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
MMR confirmed with their brand new engine tear down that it was NOT changed at all.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Put an ATI balancer on it. You WILL notice it run smoother just starting the thing. Both the mechanic that installed it and I noticed it and we both weren't even anticipating this. Then don't bounce of the rev limiter. I'm not that worried about my OPGs and I get to 7,600 RPM.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Put an ATI balancer on it. You WILL notice it run smoother just starting the thing. Both the mechanic that installed it and I noticed it and we both weren't even anticipating this. Then don't bounce of the rev limiter. I'm not that worried about my OPGs and I get to 7,600 RPM.
I agree, instead of the bandaid fix (eg. billet OPG) you guys should be fixing the problem at the source (eg. eliminating excessive vibrations from crank/damper).

A better damper like the ATI will help with a lot of the harmonics that kill OPGs, so it's better to start there. Plus it's a helluva lot easier install than OPGs.

Take this situation for example...say you have excessive pinging/KR in the engine from a bad tune/bad gas that keeps shattering your pistons. Do you just put in some forged pistons in there to handle the pinging and leave it be, or do you go straight to the source and eliminate the KR by either a better tune or better gas so that it doesn't hurt your engine? One is easy to do and costs very little while the other is a major engine repair?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Plus it's a helluva lot easier install than OPGs.

Make sure you have the proper installation tool though! Don't try to pull the damper on with just a bolt, more than a few members have stripped out the threads on the crank snout.

Swedish Meatballs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tobias
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium - California Special
I'm mostly concerned with the OPG because I'm seriously considering doing the Roush supercharger on my 2018. This car will be my DD and 700 HP with a warranty sounds like to much fun to pass up for $8500 installed lol.
I say just do it - no evidence the new one is any better and it's a cheap enough insurance. I just swung by the shop we're I'm going to do my FI and guess what, he had a ('17) GT in there with a busted OPG that turned the engine into salad ... it's $400 worth of hardware, that's nothing for the added peace of mind IMHO

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I say just do it - no evidence the new one is any better and it's a cheap enough insurance. I just swung by the shop we're I'm going to do my FI and guess what, he had a ('17) GT in there with a busted OPG that turned the engine into salad ... it's $400 worth of hardware, that's nothing for the added peace of mind IMHO
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sponsored