Sponsored

2018+ / 2021 Mustang GT (6MT) Lose Auto Rev Matching With Mods?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It sure does. It's really wonderful.
But the problem is, it makes you unable to drive properly without it. I lost it once because of a temporary electronic glitch. It came back by itself five minutes later, but during those five minutes I drove like a rookie, jolting the hell out of the car with every up- and downshift. The same happened when I tried to drive my brother in law's car, which doesn't have ARM. :cwl: :blush:
I've probably forgotten how to drive without it by now, lol. Time to be a man this year I guess
Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I once pulled the MAF harness off and forgot to plug it back in. It made the car throw so many messages, including advanced track unavailable (why traction needs air flow data, I dunno).

It also disabled rev match. I tried to drive it to dealer and I was doing the bucking bronco. I thought it was car acting up due to the errors, but after a bit, I realized that I had forgotten how to actually drive a manual.

I took a deep breath, really concentrated and was able to drive the car better.

At the dealer, i opened the hood while waiting for the tech, and then noticed the wire. Plugged it in, and everything was fine.

I drove home with rev match back on, but I was afraid someone would ask me to turn in my "man-card".

I actually really liked manually rev matching when I drove my '15 and '17, but for some reason, when I bleep the throttle, the rev never jumps up as fast as when rev matching does it automatically.

And I also can't get enough of the automatic throttle blip on the downshifts. It seems like I can never do the same short blip on downshifts either.

Maybe I'm just slow.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I drove home with rev match back on, but I was afraid someone would ask me to turn in my "man-card".
Don't turn in your man-card just yet, here is what a really good driver wrote about the Mach 1 rev-match (running a 2:51 lap at VIR): " Enthusiasts might scoff at the rev-matching software (which can be turned off), but VIR is so demanding that having just a bit less to do and more foot on the brake pedal makes it a welcome feature. "

I could never turn a 2:51 lap at VIR so I will take his advice! :)

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could never turn a 2:51 lap at VIR so I will take his advice! :)
This is great! I will use this quote if my friend with his '07 GT500 (which I have yet to see because he will not take it out of his garage until all trace of road salt is gone) ever says a thing about rev matching.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
why traction needs air flow data, I dunno
It needs torque data. It must be able to control the torque. And torque control depends on air flow.

for some reason, when I bleep the throttle, the rev never jumps up as fast as when rev matching does it automatically.
I've noticed this, too. I thought at first that it was just an impression, but now I'm sure it isn't. It's real. To make matters worse, it seems to be inconsistent as well, I mean it depends on the current speed and the current gear. The lower the gear I'm downshifting into, the more pronounced this effect seems to be.

Sponsored

silverbullet85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gt
I don't understand how not having auto rev match working and rollback on has anything to do with suddenly not being able to drive the car or making it buck. Those things help almost zero from taking off in first gear except the rollback hold feature, it's not like those 2 things working and your a professional driver and disabled you completely forgot how to modulate the clutch on take off. I had a mantic clutch and rev match worked fine. Also there is almost zero need to rev match daily driving unless you are trying to show off and rev the car out every downshift. I drove my 15gt and 17 gt and never revmatched and I managed just fine. If people think knowing how to rev match makes them a pro driver that's laughable

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I don't understand how not having auto rev match working and rollback on has anything to do with suddenly not being able to drive the car or making it buck. Those things help almost zero from taking off in first gear except the rollback hold feature, it's not like those 2 things working and your a professional driver and disabled you completely forgot how to modulate the clutch on take off. I had a mantic clutch and rev match worked fine. Also there is almost zero need to rev match daily driving unless you are trying to show off and rev the car out every downshift. I drove my 15gt and 17 gt and never revmatched and I managed just fine. If people think knowing how to rev match makes them a pro driver that's laughable
Feel better now?

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont know if anyone said they are a professional driver because they know how to manually rev match.

I didn't rev match all the time in my 15 17 either, but just because I don't need to use it doesn't mean I am going to say that I don't need to learn how to do it. And if anyone says that knowing how to rev match on downshift is not learned but you just "do it", then I think they are mistaken as rev matching on downshift isn't simply punching gas between downshifts.

Also, at least for me, I wasnt saying that I need rev match to how to take off in 1st gear. The rev hang on upshift is different from the rev match on downshifts. It's not something needed to be able to "take off"

I think most people on this forum who has been driving 6MT's are probably pretty decent drivers in terms of shifting. I for one am exaggerating a bit when I say bucking bronco, but I think k everyone has their right to express how they feel about the features in their cars.

Don't like the audio? Turn it off, don't like the rev match, turn that off, but to say that people must not know how to drive because rev match is bit much.

I know of guys who have owned manu corvettes, porsches, for over 30-40 years and I know for fact that they have missed a rev or two during up/downshifts.

Do we NEED rev match? No, but then I am sure when power steering was introduced people probably complained about how people all of sudden don't know how to turn their steering wheels (yes, the car should be in motion when you turn the wheel on manual steering).

If I ended up with a '17 GT, would it be the end of the world for me? Probably not. But would I miss it? Yes as much as i will miss my power door locks and power windows.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I haven't driven with this feature on yet and almost 2 years now into this car. Thats half the fun of owning this car is doing it yourself.

Temovic55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 2014, ROUSH II 2018
Vehicle Showcase
What do I have to do to make my car rev-match automatically! I mean I've done it manually but not every time. it's 2018 Roush MT82 ( dunno if applicable for xmsn ) RST McLeod Clutch if that makes any difference! thanks ahead

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
What do I have to do to make my car rev-match automatically! I mean I've done it manually but not every time. it's 2018 Roush MT82 ( dunno if applicable for xmsn ) RST McLeod Clutch if that makes any difference! thanks ahead
You can't, it was introduced in 2019.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for disappointing me lol
I really could live without it but hey appreciate your input!
I have it (MY19) and after the first week of ownership I turned it off and haven't used it since. If you aren't slipping the clutch and blipping the throttle, you're not driving. :)

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I don't like my manual tranny ratios either, so rear end gears are on the mod list. 4:10's are not much different than stock, so I'm thinking deeper like 4:56. There is a good thread somewhere by someone who went thru all the hassles of doing the deep gear swap on a 2019 with the stock 3:73's. With 2 overdrive gears who cares about highway rpm's?