2018-2020 VMP KIT

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Shawn, if your car shifts at 7500, what were the circumstances where you hit the 8000 rpm limiter?

By the way, if I were going Whipple or Stage 2 EB, I would also do the OPG/CS.
2 answers, one for each case.
I keep trying to get the car to launch at least WOT by second so I can recreate for Lund the detonation ( audible and PCM) in a log that was wrecking my first 2 engines by being WOT full throttle in 2nd gear shifting to 3rd...( thats when the first 2 engines would detonate and blown up).
I cannot using traction control because this will pull timing more than even the trans tq protection to get them an apples to apples. In addition pulling timing to low especially on the shift with this blower at full boost but low rpm sends the cylinder pressure thru the roof and imho is a major contributor to blower its counter productive to the entire reason to go less boost and lund. I have gotten 3-6th so 3rd gear up to like 120mph but that was never the area that blew the engines..so the 2-3 is the last thing to wipe off our list and say ok we done it, as successfully addressed what was blowing my engines....
So the first time, I put it into sport and used the paddle for 2nd gear and slowed to a stop. I've done many second gear roll outs but had no put it in while rolling then STOP....as I was preparing log and self to handle this wild mofo...I didnt realize it had dropped itself to 1st and I should have that's on me entirely, imho the first mistake ever made by me that led or could lead to failures....it instantly went to 8k I gave it D and let off...BUT that pill that delays boost also delays the bypass opening, figured that out in this log....it was so fast to 8000 I cant even describe it like seemingly less than a second...
The additional time was doing same thing but being at a stop rolling out hard enough to transfer some weight in 2nd manually stabbed it at 45ish instantly got insane gave it D ( works faster than paddles and if it was a successful 2-3 at WOT i would have tried to stay in it for log) it tried to shift you see it change commanded in log but it was spinning SO hard it overshot the rpm and bumped it but not nuts like the first time......
I have no doubt the first one would have killed the engine had I not had OPGs it's the precise scenario that does break them....
Car is just nuts its actually making more power than it should and showing a little more air, load, boost than it should ( I'm using a 3.70 griptec pulley till my 3.75 Edelbrock comes in)....
I agonized over pulling a brand new engine apart to do the OPG/S, I thank god I did now....
Lund has sent me a 2nd gear leave tune.....and I may just have to put my drag pack on, I was trying to wait till right before racing because the 305 45 17 MT SS ( I've had about 10 sets since they come out ) seem to be best the first 8-12 hits...but I may go ahead......
Car is useless as is lol....
I blame others when it's their fault and Ford themselves this one I shoulder blame however I'm desperate to KNOW if the 2-3 shift blow up issue is gone and get closure to move on after 3 engines in 2k miles...this one has already received more load than first 2 combined...so if its popped then I'll use some drop in forged pistons and new block..I cant be mad this time......

I cant afford it right now but I have my second core which I caught early and plan to build it regardless how long this one holds our or not....
I inquired to Edelbrock if I could get a 10% over outer 8 rib for my fancy $910 2 piece harmonic balancer which comes with a 15 over so I can drop boost ( as I already have the slowest possible pulley on blower ) but they dont make it....contacted them Monday I think it was....
Sponsored

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
Shawn, if your car shifts at 7500, what were the circumstances where you hit the 8000 rpm limiter?

By the way, if I were going Whipple or Stage 2 EB, I would also do the OPG/CS.
Lund is a god send, and I got one of the reasonable tuners who can put up with my personality....
I hate to spend that money because I feel like I've already paid for a tune but its ( and the OPGs) are the best money I've spent on the car....EB stage 2 is honestly a damn good driver of a tune stage 1 not so much...but my Lund tuner sees things before I can even bring them up and smoothing the car out like butter...then a little correspondence ask for tweaks ( in my case pedal gain so to speak ect , not wanting "the sauce') just has the car starting and driving off SO nice...you can do skip shift or full ect ect ect 2nd gear leave without all the machinations, ghost cam for SnG......money well spent.
I used to get angry at EB before I understood they cant take my case individually ANY revision they send me would put their certs at risk....I seen their side and softened so for me its Lund on EB for the win....but VMP will also be highly desirable in that they will be testing and tuning and I assume providing revisions as needed as well....its a good time for us all....EB, whipple, Odin, procharger doesnt matter define your wants and skew your load out to get there....
Assuming I'm not and dont blow up within 6 months, I'm tickled and my car has only run 3 of the 12 months I've owned it this week.....so that's saying something....I like my compromise added some bullet resonators end of last week....
I've already gotten more fun out of it last 3 weeks than the entire year I owned it yet I still am tracking down some FEAD vibrations, however aside from grip she is just about perfect ;). I'm not that hard to please can I go to WOT and spin tires while being faster than a FBO e85 car and not blow up? Yes ok satisfied hehe

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Totally uninformed opinion, but I'd think they are having issues. They had to be shooting for a pre holiday launch.
Yeah they do in fact have issues. They settled with the EPA for a modest fine and agreed not to sell their SC kits to anyone in California because they don't have a CARB EO number. EPA sued em for selling a few over 1500 uncertfied kits and they had to beg off paying fines for each one because it would have put em less than ideal financial shape. Found that on line by pure chance when looking up stuff for VMP's products. I feel for em. The EPA are just brutes to deal with.

Jps920

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport, 2019 GT
Yeah they do in fact have issues. They settled with the EPA for a modest fine and agreed not to sell their SC kits to anyone in California because they don't have a CARB EO number. EPA sued em for selling a few over 1500 uncertfied kits and they had to beg off paying fines for each one because it would have put em less than ideal financial shape. Found that on line by pure chance when looking up stuff for VMP's products. I feel for em. The EPA are just brutes to deal with.
That suit appears to be in relation to tuning kits sold from 2014-2015 for 1996-2015 Fords. I didn't see anything listed about S/C units, nor do i think this had anything to do with the delay in them releasing the Odin unit.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2019-10/documents/vmptuninginccafo.pdf

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Imho they did the marketing wrong on the Odin, all they’ve done is test it on a built short block with E85 at 20 psi and I believe a setup running 93/boostane at 12-13lbs running cat less headers

What they should’ve done is bolt it on a stock GT running 93 at realistic boost levels, like 9-11lbs

I’m not even sure if anyone has gotten the kit yet, be cool to see a shop get one for testing

Last edited:

Jps920

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer Sport, 2019 GT
Imho they did the marketing wrong on the Odin, all they’ve done is test it on a built short block with E85 at 20 psi and I believe a setup running 93/boostane at 12-13lbs running cat less headers

What they should’ve done is bolt it on a stock GT running 93 at realistic boost levels, like 9-11lbs

I’m not even sure if anyone has gotten the kit yet, be cool to see a shop get one for testing
Totally agree with you. I did see that Lethal Performance is advertising 20% off of VMP S/C kits. If their promo also includes the Odin unit, maybe we will see some real world numbers soon. I couldn't see purchasing this kit at the current price point without much feedback.

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I think it excludes the Odin but I could be wrong

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I think it excludes the Odin but I could be wrong
I am sure they are not offering Odin at 20% off. That would be a real deal if they did.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Real world feedback is good but I don't see a lot of risk with most of the hardware. The internals of the SC are the tried and true TVS 2650. The injectors, TB and BAP appear to be competitive.

My questions would be about the dual fan HE and especially their tuning.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Real world feedback is good but I don't see a lot of risk with most of the hardware. The internals of the SC are the tried and true TVS 2650. The injectors, TB and BAP appear to be competitive.

My questions would be about the dual fan HE and especially their tuning.
Yeah I can't argue with that. I personally would want to see them work out any tuning bugs but other than that the hardware isn't a risk.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Also waiting for a true basic comparison with pump 93 and simple 11psi or so. They just did a built motor dyno with Odin and E85 and it make 1030whp I believe and only 773TQ. What happened to all the hype around the TVS hitting harder and making more TQ then the Whipple does? The TQ curve on the graph don't hit hard at all but rather comes in like a centrifugal TQ curve. Slowly ramps in with RPM. Pretty interesting and surprising.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Amen brother!!
I would LOVE to see a completely stock '18/'19 Mustang GT with the just the ODIN supercharger on it running a custom 93 octane VMP tune.
Sponsored