Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I wouldn’t count on the VMP tuning to be any better that the other manufacturers tunes that come on the kits out there. Seems to me that when a company sells the hardware that’s where the attention is focused, meaning making money selling the kits and making the tune just good enough so new buyers can say it works “just okay” and go on living with the fact that they are going to purchase a custom tune elsewhere. VMP may have been a top dog in tuning years ago, but seems like any of the companies selling FI kits the tuning is not as good as they will say it is. They all know that there has never been a $7000+ hardware kit returned because the tune that came with the kit wasn’t good enough. They know once the buyer has put the effort into installing FI it isn’t coming back for a refund, so they only have to do a so-so job in writing tunes now adays.

With the Feds dictating emission laws most canned tuned are handcuffed. Obviously we can all see custom tuning is the way to go for both positive drivability and performance
Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
With the Feds dictating emission laws most canned tuned are handcuffed. Obviously we can all see custom tuning is the way to go for both positive drivability and performance
I think the manufacturer's can play off of this. The way I see them doing it is, they write a tune that gets their shop car passing and submit it to CARB for approval. They then take that same tune and sell it with their kits knowing that some of the customers cars will not all react and drive as good as the shop car that was done on the dyno. Good enough to get all the customers on the road and past the point that anything is coming back for a refund. Wipe hands free and move onto the next model year...

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The VMP tuning is far different than the canned tunes from Whipple or Edelbrock. Of course they provide a base tune but then the customer uses a tuner to datalog the tune. VMP then tweaks the tune to the customer's satisfaction.

Roush canned tunes are safe and drivability is good but performance is unimpressive. Edelbrock canned tunes have a reputation for poor drivability and Whipple canned tunes have a reputation of breaking piston ring lands. Neither EB or Whipple offer custom tuning like VMP does.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I remember back when Whipple was first getting going on the S550
They were having guys datalog and sending revisions to get their tunes dialed
I and to help make a global tune for all the customers. The one guy I’m thinking about on here that was involved finally ended up going with either PBD or Lund, he said the drivability was much better. In my mind that’s the same as saying the Whipple tune that was done through datalogging on his car was much worse than the Lund. Also there were a lot of guys going through revisions and datalogging their Procharger tunes until they all gave up and went to alternative tuning. I don’t know but I’d be betting VMP will follow suit.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
According to my installer, Whipple will still make slight tweaks based on logs but primarily to correct a drivability issue. They will not make adjustments for performance or to meet customer's specific requests like altered shift points or shift firmness.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
PRI show is next week in Indy
Looks like VMP has a few different versions of the Odin coming, pretty interesting stuff

There not called R versions but the video I watched today show multiple stages r coming

This thing looks legit boys

Last edited:

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
PRI show is next week in Indy
Looks like VMP has a few different versions of the Odin coming, pretty interesting stuff

There not called R versions but the video I watched today show multiple stages r coming

This think looks legit boys
Yeah, mostly they talk about big power but it sounds like there will be various pulley sizes as well as variations with their tuning.

We will learn more over the next few weeks but this appears to be an option worth considering.....especially if they go on sale....

Meanwhile, where is Roush?

OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yeah, mostly they talk about big power but it sounds like there will be various pulley sizes as well as variations with their tuning.

We will learn more over the next few weeks but this appears to be an option worth considering.....especially if they go on sale....

Meanwhile, where is Roush?

Yea right?

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
It was not, the VMP was running boostane and a 3" pulley, the Roush was also running a 3" pulley, the Edelbrock was handicapped and they had it running a 3.25" pulley, and it also looks like the tuning on the edelbrock needs more work, bc it should not be dropping power like that.

Also, the VMP blower was running no intake, the dyno was done with an open throttle body, so I would not expect those numbers from out-the-box kit since you will need a intake for the MAF
Absolutely....and notice how Edelbrock still comes in harder turning slower....and thru restriction with no help from octane and timing....I turned my stage 2 7700 yesterday I can promise you the log showed NO drop off in MAF flow or fuel requirement it had the maf maxed by 6500 and the HZ carried it up to about 90lbs min on straight 93......
Where I think the VMP might shine is whatever they settle on for the drive kit and at the upper level pushing the limits of the rotors....not 93 to 93....apples to apples....its beautiful though....
Its gonna be a great blower but looks like some of the porting traded some low rpm torque for higher rpm power pushed, on the street I'll take my Edelbrock stage 2 being at max boost by oh I don't know 2700rpm hehe....
I think the VMP is a great product but with true 93 being the limiting factor personally they will all be close however I prefer maximum torque when I'm boost limited by fuel and compression...

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I did find it interesting that the TQ was very low for a 2.6 TVS. Anyone else notice that? Also at same exact psi, fuel and timing I think it will be the same as always where the Whipple would have just a little more HP up top.
Yeap and less torque throughout to the Edelbrock

Sponsored
OP
OP
Stymee

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I don’t believe it’s a ported version there testing but I could be wrong, however I would agree that at 9-10 psi on 93 the EB may be better especially down low, buy imho it’s still too early to tell as it needs to get into a 3rd parties hands...

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I didn't read through the whole thread but this kit is more expensive than a Whipple or Edelbrock kit any way you SLICE it. The Whipple at the same boost looks to make just as much power. Why would we choose this over the other options?
Not if you bought Edelbrock stage 1 and the first stage 2 upgrade kit that is now 1000 less than when I bought it and I raised 9 kinds of hell about price, and compared it for them your welcome....hehe

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I'm sure in the end this will be a great performing kit but I wouldn't touch it for a year personally. Unless you have a successful YouTube channel or a sponsored driver. As an everyday average mustang owner, If you're going to blow your power train warranty or take the chance of blowing an engine, you might as well go with an equal performing kit that has been field tested for over a year on 18+'s. Like a whipple.
Or buy the Edelbrock stage 2 will 16,500 worth of warranty and give up nothing

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I don’t believe it’s a ported version there testing but I could be wrong, however I would agree that at 9-10 psi on 93 the EB may be better especially down low, buy imho it’s still too early to tell as it needs to get into a 3rd parties hands...
The live stream I watched he mentions the porting in the transition area from inlet to rotors, I presumed this is CNC from factory...but I've been known to have mini strokes hehe

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
They really really should have avoided all this speculation by putting their kit on a customers stock car with stock 93 for the first test....if they wanted to be real accurate pulley for pulley with the EB and full intake system would be very easy....
They can pull my stage 2 and try if they want hehe....apples to apples...
Sponsored