Sponsored

2018 -2019 Whipple owners- I have questions

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 2019 Mustang GT on order
I have a 2019 PP1 A10 on order and have a feeling I will have a Whipple and a pile of parts siting in garage waiting on the car to get here.

For those of you that have already been down this rode or that are close to it, I have some questions.

1. How many are going Stg 1, Stg 2 or Competition on bone stock motor?

2. Did you do a tuner delete? Really starting to wonder if going with Tomahawk with Whipple tune is the right decision. If you did the tune delete, what tuning device and tuner did you decide to go with and why. I understand this is somewhat subjective.

3. If going competition what injectors and supporting fuel system mods did you decide on and why.

4. How many consider OPG’s and CS a must?

5. What other must have supporting mods Halfshafts, driveshaft, etc.

6. Million dollar question how many miles did you wait before going for the install. I am hoping I can get some miles on it before winter when I plan to do the install. Estimated delivery date is 11/7, I am in Kansas so I hope to at least have a month before nasty weather. Obviously trying not to get paronoid about a tick I may or may not ever get, it does have me wondering.

This will not be a daily driver, but my goals are a reliable, consistent 10 sec street car. I was tired of waiting for more info about the GT500 so just decided to order GT and have fun now.

I have been doing my best to read all the threads I can on the various builds. Getting excited for sure. This will be my 6th modded Mustang but first Coyote.

I will be doing all the installs in my garage laying on my back! Just like all the rest :)

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I am also curious but I do have the tapping which I will try to get sorted before ordering the SC. Ill probably go e85 NA PBD tune on a SCT BDX for about 5000 miles after the tapping is sorted out and make sure its all good. After that then order the whipple stage 2, 1050 injectors, BAP, no tomahawk tuner, bigger throttle body, the stock whipple heat exchanger most likely. Ill probably move my pp1 rears to the front, then get 20x10 pp1 replica rears and put on 315/35/20 potenza s007 and hopefully those arent sticky enough to break stuff but also sticky enough to hook up most of the time. They are also taller than the stock tires and will make gearing longer which should help with traction. Most likely ordering from beefcake and getting tuned at PBD.

Last edited:

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Just like you, I too got tired of waiting on the GT 500 and debated whether to just add a whipple to my GT 350 (knowing it would never be much of a drag car ) or getting an 18 GT/A10 and adding a whipple wirh the goal of having a low 10 second daily driver
Well I solved that problem and did both.

1 . I would not bother with the stage 1 unless you want a warranty and less power . I am sure you will invariably void that warranty anyway so it will just have been a waste of money you could have put into parts like OPG.

2 /3/4. Honestly if I would do it all over again I would have probably have done a tuner kit and have PBD/ Lund tune it. I have been 10.5@138 on the whippe tune with a 3.625 pulley/93 . Others have gone faster (10.1-10.2@138-141 ) with a PBD/Lund tune on the 3.875 pulley . I started with the 3.75 pulley (never ran the 3.875 that comes with the kit ) and now have 2 useless pulleys although whipple said since I never used the 3.875 I can return it for a refund .

I have a love /hate relationship with Whipple after they sent me a tune update that never worked. They have however gone above and beyond, looking at my logs and eventually sent me their “latest “ update which they say will help the car 60 (stuck at 1.7x with drag pack and 1.8x with street set up ) and make more torque.
We will see, but I am hoping for at least better 60’s which should net me a low 10 second pass in good weather .
I already took advantage of the last Lethal sale and got a PBD tune on sale . I will be eventually running E85 which will require upgrading to ID 1000’s and a BAP . If I had skipped the Whipple tune I would have saved $200 but would not have had as much fun “testing “ it .

5 . I did the OPG/CS at the same time of the install . It added another $800 to the install cost . I don’t know if it’s a must but for me it was .

6. I waited 5000 miles and many NA passes (went a best of 12.0@117) .
As to supporting mods I have the BMR cradle lock out ,800 hp DSS axles and a one piece CF drive shaft . I broke the first one but had it replaced under warranty -DSS were great and they acknowledged the first one which was a 3.8 diameter was too big and was probably hitting the tunnel .
The new one is a 3.25 diameter and so far so good .
I did the lower the car with Eibach springs for the GT350 since I have magneride . I don’t really consider it a perfomance mod but it sure looks the part . Lol

Last edited:

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
I have a 2019 PP1 A10 on order and have a feeling I will have a Whipple and a pile of parts siting in garage waiting on the car to get here.

For those of you that have already been down this rode or that are close to it, I have some questions.

1. How many are going Stg 1, Stg 2 or Competition on bone stock motor?

Stage 2 here

2. Did you do a tuner delete? Really starting to wonder if going with Tomahawk with Whipple tune is the right decision. If you did the tune delete, what tuning device and tuner did you decide to go with and why. I understand this is somewhat subjective.

I had to go with an aftermarket tuner since I had to get rid of the cats on my car. My shop (HPJ Performance) specializes in Coyote/S550 builds and is partnered with Lund Racing. The tune is great on my car.

3. If going competition what injectors and supporting fuel system mods did you decide on and why.

4. How many consider OPG’s and CPG’s a must?

Stock OPG/CS and I've been all over my rev limiter. No issues whatsoever. Not really needed if you run the stock balancer.
5. What other must have supporting mods Halfshafts, driveshaft, etc.

None but I'm on the factory Michelin PS4S tires also.

6. Million dollar question how many miles did you wait before going for the install. I am hoping I can get some miles on it before winter when I plan to do the install. Estimated delivery date is 11/7, I am in Kansas so I hope to at least have a month before nasty weather. Obviously trying not to get paronoid about a tick I may or may not ever get, it does have me wondering.

3,000 miles on mine and about 40 standing half mile runs before I put the Whipple on.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Responses in the quote

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
1. Stage 2
2. No. The early whipple tunes left something to be desired but they’re constantly improving on it. The last update I got was great but they sent me another anyway that I haven’t loaded yet.
3. Na
4. No. I remember info from ford stating the opg failures were related to harmonics. I read one article that ford upgraded the balancer on the 18 to a fluid damper. Has anyone heard of even a single opg failure on an 18?
5. None yet, but I really would like the ecoboost center gauges.
6. I put about 7500 miles on mine before supercharging it. I’ve had a little 2500 rpm light load piston slap since new, but no oil consumption so I went with it.

Sponsored

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
sorry, typed all this out and forgot what title was but I'll just leave it anyway.
whipple cars are making serious power and plenty of them out there it's a great blower for the 19s.

I would stay away from the roush blower, the intercooler setup is not to efficent on 18-19s alot of better options out there vortech/paxton, whipple, procharger and hellion sleeper tt kit

I run vortech v3 jt on 18 A10 best et 10.3 at 140.9
constantly 10.5s total passes made 67
I put vortech on at 1500 miles which was 3 weeks after I bought the car, do daily it for the most part.
setup
ngauge & hptuners tuned by rob @Pbd
vortech v3 JT tuner kit 3.6 pulley
dw 95lb injectors
vortech Bap
fuel 93 oct
stock oil pump gears, 7800 miles on car now
car had the tick no worries enjoy it.
10.5 at 138mph was done on stock everything besides the kit.
half shafts are weak point in the rear,also suggest 17x10 wheel with m/t street R for drag strip, et ss doesnt hook as well.

I suggest a vortech kit for obvious reasons been putting a beating on it for few months it's been holding up well, if looking for 10 sec car it's a no brainer for the money. I have plenty of videos on YouTube handle is Michael Mac, any questions shoot me a message.

Last edited:

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
I know someone with opg failure on 18 gen 3 f150, part numbers are identical from f150 to mustang, he had the hybrid whipple on the car I'm pretty sure he had a small pulley not sure the size. I am also on stock opgs I will change them over the winter

1. Stage 2
2. No. The early whipple tunes left something to be desired but they’re constantly improving on it. The last update I got was great but they sent me another anyway that I haven’t loaded yet.
3. Na
4. No. I remember info from ford stating the opg failures were related to harmonics. I read one article that ford upgraded the balancer on the 18 to a fluid damper. Has anyone heard of even a single opg failure on an 18?
5. None yet, but I really would like the ecoboost center gauges.
6. I put about 7500 miles on mine before supercharging it. I’ve had a little 2500 rpm light load piston slap since new, but no oil consumption so I went with it.

OP
OP

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all of the info so far. Keep it coming!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I know someone with opg failure on 18 gen 3 f150, part numbers are identical from f150 to mustang, he had the hybrid whipple on the car I'm pretty sure he had a small pulley not sure the size. I am also on stock opgs I will change them over the winter
I can’t say for sure, but while the opg pn is the same, the damper for the 2018 mustang is different and over double the price of the f150 damper. That leads me to believe that only the mustang got the fluid damper that addresses the opg failures.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we have customers that mod from mile 1, including myself, lol.

half shafts and other mods will depend on driving style and how you use the car.

stage 1, 2, or custom kit will also depend on above.

feel free to give me a ring and we can go over your wants / needs / goals and customize a setup for you

beef
513-478-1965

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Just like you, I too got tired of waiting on the GT 500 and debated whether to just add a whipple to my GT 350 (knowing it would never be much of a drag car ) or getting an 18 GT/A10 and adding a whipple wirh the goal of having a low 10 second daily driver
Well I solved that problem and did both.

1 . I would not bother with the stage 1 unless you want a warranty and less power . I am sure you will invariably void that warranty anyway so it will just have been a waste of money you could have put into parts like OPG.

2 /3/4. Honestly if I would do it all over again I would have probably have done a tuner kit and have PBD/ Lund tune it. I have been 10.5@138 on the whippe tune with a 3.625 pulley/93 . Others have gone faster (10.1-10.2@138-141 ) with a PBD/Lund tune on the 3.875 pulley . I started with the 3.75 pulley (never ran the 3.875 that comes with the kit ) and now have 2 useless pulleys although whipple said since I never used the 3.875 I can return it for a refund .

I have a love /hate relationship with Whipple after they sent me a tune update that never worked. They have however gone above and beyond, looking at my logs and eventually sent me their “latest “ update which they say will help the car 60 (stuck at 1.7x with drag pack and 1.8x with street set up ) and make more torque.
We will see, but I am hoping for at least better 60’s which should net me a low 10 second pass in good weather .
I already took advantage of the last Lethal sale and got a PBD tune on sale . I will be eventually running E85 which will require upgrading to ID 1000’s and a BAP . If I had skipped the Whipple tune I would have saved $200 but would not have had as much fun “testing “ it .

5 . I did the OPG/CS at the same time of the install . It added another $800 to the install cost . I don’t know if it’s a must but for me it was .

6. I waited 5000 miles and many NA passes (went a best of 12.0@117) .
As to supporting mods I have the BMR cradle lock out ,800 hp DSS axles and a one piece CF drive shaft . I broke the first one but had it replaced under warranty -DSS were great and they acknowledged the first one which was a 3.8 diameter was too big and was probably hitting the tunnel .
The new one is a 3.25 diameter and so far so good .
I did the lower the car with Eibach springs for the GT350 since I have magneride . I don’t really consider it a perfomance mod but it sure looks the part . Lol
i had said “so far so good” on the CF drive shaft ....well famous last words . Lol
It just broke again this evening testing the new tune on the street .
Luckily for me I was at the shop where I have another car parked so I did not need a tow this time . I was foot braking the car trying to see how high it would hold ... I think I was only at 2200 when all hell let loose under the car .lol
Pretty sure it’s the drive shaft as I can see the fiber pieces underneath and I must have got some on me while looking, as I now itch like crazy .lol

May be there is something wrong with my car or something but until I know for sure I would avoid the DSS CF .
I hate to say that,as their customer service so far (and in the past )has been top notch . This would be my third one . First one was replaced due to vibration issues and had to be shortened .
I can’t find any of the non CF ones in stock anywhere (so little time left this year !) so I pulled the trigger on the QA1 - LMR has them in “stock” -I hope- and it’s cheaper than anyw here else .
I expect DSS is going to give me some flack about replacing it and it would take some time to get a replacement I expect . I think I am just going to ask for the chromoly one if they replace it (if they won’t I will ask for another CF but use it only as a “spare “ or sell it ).

They said the last time this happened they did not make the alluminum as the 10 speed was breaking them so may be the CF is not that much stronger .

Sorry to “jack “ this thread but just thought you should know since you are considering “supporting” mods

Last edited:

mmacoyote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 s550
sorry to hear about your carbon driveshaft! dss quality really has gone down the shitter and customer service is horrible. good luck

i had said “so far so good” on the CF drive shaft ....well famous last words . Lol
Luckily for me I was at the shop where I have another car parked so I did not need a tow this time . I was foot braking the car trying to see how high it would hold ... I think I was only at 2200 when all hell let loose under the car .lol
Pretty sure it’s the drive shaft as I can see the fiber pieces underneath and I must have got some on me while looking, as I now itch like crazy .lol

May be there is something wrong with my car or something but until I know for sure I would avoid the DSS CF .
I hate to say that,as their customer service so far (and in the past )has been top notch . This would be my third one . First one was replaced due to vibration issues and had to be shortened .
I can’t find any of the non CF ones in stock anywhere (so little time left this year !) so I pulled the trigger on the QA1 - LMR has them in “stock” -I hope- and it’s cheaper than anyw here else .
I expect DSS is going to give me some flack about replacing it and it would take some time to get a replacement I expect . I think I am just going to ask for the chromoly one if they replace it (if they won’t I will ask for another CF but use it only as a “spare “ or sell it ).

They said the last time this happened they did not make the alluminum as the 10 speed was breaking them so may be the CF is not that much stronger .

Sorry to “jack “ this thread but just thought you should know since you are considering “supporting” mods

Mustang Mods

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mustangmodsstore.com
First Name
Curtis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
We have installed and tuned a few 18 Whipple cars. I will be at the SCT event at Topeka, KS on Saturday if you want to see one run. I plan on low 9 or better!

I have personally been involved with both the Whipple tune and Palm Beach Dyno tune. The Whipple tune has been pretty decent on the cars I have done. 10's with Whipple tune will not be hard. My personal car is a max effort car on E85 and Palm Beach tune making 920. Drives pretty good on the street and runs very well at the track. Do the oil pump and timing gear. I have already heard of one breaking. Feel free to call with questions.

Curtis
303-532-6990

OP
OP

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

No, thank you for taking the time to let me know. I sell QA1 where I work so can’t wait to hear your impresions of that piece as I may go that route as well. I try and research everything fully before a purchase regardless.

OP
OP

ICEFURY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have installed and tuned a few 18 Whipple cars. I will be at the SCT event at Topeka, KS on Saturday if you want to see one run. I plan on low 9 or better!

I have personally been involved with both the Whipple tune and Palm Beach Dyno tune. The Whipple tune has been pretty decent on the cars I have done. 10's with Whipple tune will not be hard. My personal car is a max effort car on E85 and Palm Beach tune making 920. Drives pretty good on the street and runs very well at the track. Do the oil pump and timing gear. I have already heard of one breaking. Feel free to call with questions.

Curtis
303-532-6990

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to try and go on Friday night, I am headed to Manhattan on Sat for the K-state game. Would love to see the car run sometime for sure.
Sponsored