Sponsored

2018-2019 Ford Performance Ecoboost Tune Released

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Well at least they Warranty it that's good. Sorry that happened. Honestly surprised it did. Really was hoping the 18's had the bugs worked out
I didn't try to get it warrantied. I'm having the shop that does my builds put a new crate motor in it. With the aftermarket intercooler installed, I didn't want to get into a long drawn out battle with Ford to have it replaced.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Shit.

So much for having my dyno guys start the pulls @ 2K rpm next time. There are big things starting to happen above 2K with these little engines and I hate to miss that data at the dyno, but I don't want to pop the engine on the dyno, either. The reality is though that I drive the car like that every day - maybe not locked in 7th for a pull from 2K to 6K, but I sure merge with traffic, accelerate on ramps, etc. The auto probably makes that world a little softer than a manual by kicking down when it needs to, but still. Shit.
Considering this is only the second 18 I have heard of blowing and the first tuned one it may still be less of a gamble than the 15 and 16 models. Plenty of people have ford and protunes. I would still be willing to consider one, but not until I can afford to blow a motor.

John16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost
I went to see if the dealer had correctly installed the ford performance tune, and after looking at the diagnostic tab in the pro cal softaware , read info, I found software part Xxxx FPmea1 xxx so I knew it was installed . I then acidentally hit program, car started clicking and the programming process , I turned the car off right away as I don’t want to Reflash the pro cal then since it’s already installed. I checked after the fact and the pro cal 3 tune is still there ( didn’t erase it from the accidental programming of 3 seconds ). Could there be any damage from programming for 3 seconds then disconnecting ? Didn’t mean to hit program...yikes

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I went to see if the dealer had correctly installed the ford performance tune, and after looking at the diagnostic tab in the pro cal softaware , read info, I found software part Xxxx FPmea1 xxx so I knew it was installed . I then acidentally hit program, car started clicking and the programming process , I turned the car off right away as I don’t want to Reflash the pro cal then since it’s already installed. I checked after the fact and the pro cal 3 tune is still there ( didn’t erase it from the accidental programming of 3 seconds ). Could there be any damage from programming for 3 seconds then disconnecting ? Didn’t mean to hit program...yikes
Unfortunately, I have no idea. You may want to contact Ford Performance and ask them that question.

BUT, I do have a question for you. Did you notice if the Octane Adjust option was enabled? I have periodic pinging issues. When I tried to reflash to select the Octane Adjust option, the option was disabled (my tune was installed by a Ford Dealer, but both the dealer and Ford Performance said that me reflashing to update the Octane Adjust option would not invalidate any warranties).

A call to Ford Performance brought some head scratching...they hadn't heard of this issue before, and suggested that perhaps try to update that option immediately upon going to the tab...hopefully catch it before it gets disabled.

Anyway, just wanted to know if you had the same issue.

Sponsored

John16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost
Unfortunately, I have no idea. You may want to contact Ford Performance and ask them that question.

BUT, I do have a question for you. Did you notice if the Octane Adjust option was enabled? I have periodic pinging issues. When I tried to reflash to select the Octane Adjust option, the option was disabled (my tune was installed by a Ford Dealer, but both the dealer and Ford Performance said that me reflashing to update the Octane Adjust option would not invalidate any warranties).

A call to Ford Performance brought some head scratching...they hadn't heard of this issue before, and suggested that perhaps try to update that option immediately upon going to the tab...hopefully catch it before it gets disabled.

Anyway, just wanted to know if you had the same issue.
Mine is disabled , only should be enabled if knocking occurs . It won’t allow you to enable it? And have you tried the DTC in the diagnostic tab within the pro cal software to see if it’s throwing a code ?

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Mine is disabled , only should be enabled if knocking occurs . It won’t allow you to enable it? And have you tried the DTC in the diagnostic tab within the pro cal software to see if it’s throwing a code ?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Pro Cal software won't allow me to enable Octane Adjust.

I didn't try the diagnostic tab. Maybe I'll give that a go. But even if it's not throwing any codes, a knock in a high compression turbo engine makes me uneasy.

I suspect 91 octane being the minimum required by the tune (and 91 is the best I can get here...sort of), that may just be the nature of the beast if the gas isn't completely up to snuff. Ford performance says some occasional ping is nothing to worry about, but it still bugs me.

And I don't want to try octane boost because of the MMT, and the manual says not to use such additives. So Octane Adjust is the next step for me.

John16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The Pro Cal software won't allow me to enable Octane Adjust.

I didn't try the diagnostic tab. Maybe I'll give that a go. But even if it's not throwing any codes, a knock in a high compression turbo engine makes me uneasy.

I suspect 91 octane being the minimum required by the tune (and 91 is the best I can get here...sort of), that may just be the nature of the beast if the gas isn't completely up to snuff. Ford performance says some occasional ping is nothing to worry about, but it still bugs me.

And I don't want to try octane boost because of the MMT, and the manual says not to use such additives. So Octane Adjust is the next step for me.
I think you have to reflash the ecu with the pro cal 3 “again” and adjust the octane ratio as a new aspect of how your want the pro cal 3 tune to run. Isn’t this tune already adjusted to 91 octane? I have 93 here in Florida , almost 1k miles with the tune ( got it w/ 1700 miles ) and haven’t had knock. I don’t think knock is ever a “ thing not to worry about “ , I wouldn’t listen to ford performance , but hey maybe I’m wrong and a tune should ping your engine until you blow a piston or Bend a rod. Try shell , they use 7x the amount of additives in there gas compared to other gas stations , I personally like chevrons premium fuel. Maybe swap ur spark plugs or get a fuel induction service to clean out the carbon Build up? Gasoline direct injection instead of port injection is a real pain

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I think you have to reflash the ecu with the pro cal 3 “again” and adjust the octane ratio as a new aspect of how your want the pro cal 3 tune to run. Isn’t this tune already adjusted to 91 octane? I have 93 here in Florida , almost 1k miles with the tune ( got it w/ 1700 miles ) and haven’t had knock. I don’t think knock is ever a “ thing not to worry about “ , I wouldn’t listen to ford performance , but hey maybe I’m wrong and a tune should ping your engine until you blow a piston or Bend a rod. Try shell , they use 7x the amount of additives in there gas compared to other gas stations , I personally like chevrons premium fuel. Maybe swap ur spark plugs or get a fuel induction service to clean out the carbon Build up? Gasoline direct injection instead of port injection is a real pain
I've tried a couple different stations. My latest was Shell, and the knock - when it occurs - isn't that bad compared to some others I've tried. But it still happens.

I can get 100 octane racing fuel here, but it's $8/gallon, and it isn't a top-tier fuel. I've considered mixing maybe 3 gallons of that with 91 octane to fill the tank, but the racing fuel doesn't have many (or any) cleaners - don't know if that would create any kind of issues even though it would only make up about 1/5 of a tank. I just hate screwing around with all of this.

I'll try a reflash and see if Octane Adjust can be selected and I'll check out the diagnostic tab.

John16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost
I've tried a couple different stations. My latest was Shell, and the knock - when it occurs - isn't that bad compared to some others I've tried. But it still happens.

I can get 100 octane racing fuel here, but it's $8/gallon, and it isn't a top-tier fuel. I've considered mixing maybe 3 gallons of that with 91 octane to fill the tank, but the racing fuel doesn't have many (or any) cleaners - don't know if that would create any kind of issues even though it would only make up about 1/5 of a tank. I just hate screwing around with all of this.

I'll try a reflash and see if Octane Adjust can be selected and I'll check out the diagnostic tab.
Racing fuel is unnecessary , there’s something else going on that e85 won’t solve . The ford performance pro cal 3 tune is meant to run on 91 or higher. There should not be a considerable amount of knock that you should have to worry , and I would either go back to stock , or think about swapping the plugs. Uneven fuel could be burning. What exactly are you trying to adjust the octane ratio to?

Sponsored

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Racing fuel is unnecessary , there’s something else going on that e85 won’t solve . The ford performance pro cal 3 tune is meant to run on 91 or higher. There should not be a considerable amount of knock that you should have to worry , and I would either go back to stock , or think about swapping the plugs. Uneven fuel could be burning. What exactly are you trying to adjust the octane ratio to?
I'm guessing at 91 octane the tune is right at the edge. And using Shell, the knock is not bad, but it's still there from time-to-time, and I'd like to try to get rid of it if I can.

And the octane adjust option is just on or off to use different timing tables for what is even a slightly less aggressive tune. As to the actual ratio, I don't know (unless you mean the possibility of blending racing fuel with 91 octane. It would just be to bring the octane rating to 93). And actually, yes, I still have to pull the plugs and check gap. And I bought one step colder plugs, but wanted to exhaust other options before I put those in. And Ford performance has told me that colder plugs should not be necessary.

I've also installed driver and passenger side Ford Performance catch cans to minimize the potential of oil vapor causing pre-ignition. And I used Amsoil in my oil change since it's evaporation rate is very low. And, there's that new GF-6 oil standard coming out in February, I think, to attempt to address LSPI, which may help as well.

As to re-installing the original tune, I requested that the dealer put the original stock tune on my flash drive. And they said they did. But they didn't. So going back to stock isn't an option for me.

I've considered an aftermarket intercooler, but as the weather has cooled I find I'm still getting ping with air intake temperatures in the 60s. So I don't think that will help - except maybe in the summer.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still getting ping with air intake temperatures in the 60s
Did I miss it? But you're ascertaining 'ping' from a data-log, yes? I would find a known-good tuner to look over the traces and validate the observation as well as sending the traces to Ford Performance to see why their tune is badly misbehaving. I wonder if you've got a bad sensor wire.

John16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost
I'm guessing at 91 octane the tune is right at the edge. And using Shell, the knock is not bad, but it's still there from time-to-time, and I'd like to try to get rid of it if I can.

And the octane adjust option is just on or off to use different timing tables for what is even a slightly less aggressive tune. As to the actual ratio, I don't know (unless you mean the possibility of blending racing fuel with 91 octane. It would just be to bring the octane rating to 93). And actually, yes, I still have to pull the plugs and check gap. And I bought one step colder plugs, but wanted to exhaust other options before I put those in. And Ford performance has told me that colder plugs should not be necessary.

I've also installed driver and passenger side Ford Performance catch cans to minimize the potential of oil vapor causing pre-ignition. And I used Amsoil in my oil change since it's evaporation rate is very low. And, there's that new GF-6 oil standard coming out in February, I think, to attempt to address LSPI, which may help as well.

As to re-installing the original tune, I requested that the dealer put the original stock tune on my flash drive. And they said they did. But they didn't. So going back to stock isn't an option for me.

I've considered an aftermarket intercooler, but as the weather has cooled I find I'm still getting ping with air intake temperatures in the 60s. So I don't think that will help - except maybe in the summer.
Intercooler is always a good upgrade, these turbo 4s heat soak like crazy, that’s my next move too . I have the same issue, the dealer put the pro cal tune on a flash drive , not the stock tune. The stock tune automatically uploades to the pro cal 3 folder where the ford performed tune is, it should have your vin in the name of the folder where the pro cal 3 downloads to as well as the stock tune. I have to go back to get the stock tune and try again because these dealerships are not very educated on these FP tunes and mods. Colder plugs are not necessary for the tune, it’s a mild tune. Catch cans are always good to reduce the carbon buildup . If the dealership actually installed the pro cal 3 tune, then the stock tune is there. If not stock tune is on the techs laptop, then they didn’t install the pro cal 3 tune properly. Are u using full synthetic ? I assume you are. Knock is from poor quality/ wrong octane fuel, uneven fuel burning , injectors not spraying even amounts of gas , hella carbon buildup in the intakes , bad plugs. I means theres a multitude of things . Any other mods to the car?

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Considering this is only the second 18 I have heard of blowing and the first tuned one it may still be less of a gamble than the 15 and 16 models. Plenty of people have ford and protunes. I would still be willing to consider one, but not until I can afford to blow a motor.
The new crate motor was only about $3k (service engine) and included pretty much everything but the exhaust manifold and turbo. That's not bad.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
The new crate motor was only about $3k (service engine) and included pretty much everything but the exhaust manifold and turbo. That's not bad.
Ya that's not bad at all.
Sponsored