2018-2019 Ford Performance Ecoboost Tune Released

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Well, I went back through the full install process and got to the green "Successfully Programmed!" text at the end - which I can't say that I saw at the dealership. However, the saved .PC3 file at the end is only one KB larger than the tune... 6,030KB vs 6.029KB. Does it drive any differently? Can't tell. I put about 15 miles on her right after the tune - all highway - and is she peppy? Yeah. Will pull 25# of boost pretty quickly, but that's not much different than she ever was. In Drag mode, maybe she's got a bit more oomph, but I don't drive in that mode very often and may not be noticing things. I hear a bit more intake noise, but I almost think that changed with the K&N install before the tune.

Overall, I give this upgrade a solid meh. I need to get her back on the dyno to see if there is a measurable difference there, and go run some 0-60's to see if those have improved. She's been a really consistent 6.0-6.1 car to 60, so any change should be clear. Oh well.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
You won’t know for half a tank

Not 15 minutes

Mine hit me out of nowhere

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Did either of you enable the spark learn feature? I left it alone since 93 is easy to find here, but I wonder...

Sponsored

krack999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I left the octane adjust alone and just use 93 octane gas. It takes a bit for it to learn. It's really noticeable on manuals apparently. You should go down to a 5.4 or less 0 to 60 with your A10 and PP. My bet is that you will see 5.1, especially with the golden A10. Heck, the A10 is the only reason I even thought about trying to go with the newer HPP.

My best to date was 5.4 0-60 with better Michelin tires. I had traction issues with the stock Pirelli's.

You can accelerate the learning by quite honestly just flooring it and running up to 70 mph several times. It needs those conditions to learn the octane. They say it can take up to 200 miles before you see a change.

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Im hoping that’s the case here... the car’s performance is pretty much the same as before as far as I can tell. If I can get some feedback on how large the stock tune and FP tune files are for the 18-20 cars, it Will give me another datapoint to compare. I may just try to DL the FP tune file later this AM and see what I get.

I figure as long as I have the receipt from the dealership, I’m golden.
I've been told it might take a little while before you feel any differences - I've heard maybe about 200 miles of driving. But it might vary based on driving conditions.

I also had concerns about the dealer installing the tune. Rather than them downloading the tune and installing it I downloaded the tune myself and put it on a flash drive and gave them the flash drive to use. I also instructed them to make sure the stock tune was put on the flash drive.

Subsequently, I started getting some knocking, so I wanted to do things like check off the 'octane adjust' checkbox, and possibly restore the stock tune. It's then that I noticed I couldn't find the stock tune on the flash drive. I then started to question if they even installed the tune. I checked file dates and sizes like you did. But it was inconclusive.

I asked Ford Performance how to tell if the tune was installed. In my case it was confirmed by an 'FP' existing in the version/name of the tune (I don't remember where/how it's listed in the procal software).

Also, I've been told that the stock tune should automatically be stored at the location where the tune was installed from - in my case the flash drive. I haven't checked this yet, but I'm assuming the stock tune may not be stored in a file that one could identify as a tune, and that restoring it is done by selecting an option in the procal software. But for all I know the dealer tech had the stock tune on his laptop, which is subsequently gone.

But yes, it is clear that the dealer techs don't have a whole lot of familiarity with installing the tunes - they probably know just slightly more than us - only because they *may* have done one or two every few months.
Sponsored