Sponsored

2018-2019 Ford Performance Ecoboost Tune Released

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
whomever gets around to putting a stock 18-19 Ecoboost A10 (or manual) on a dyno for a few runs, then flash in the FP tune after a cool down and posts up back to back stock vs. FP tune run graphs... will be a hero
right, so how come we STILL don't have before and after graphs?
Sponsored

Cxp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB app
One criticism I have of the tune is the shift point is way too high. Maybe its for people who like revving high regardless of the minimal gains but honestly for performance reasons I would set the shift point right around 4750. Absolutely no higher than 5250... this 6000 shift point is silliness.... you feel the car gain power immediately after it shifts and then instantly lose power cause you are on a rapidly declining torque curve.

dnldwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2016 Escape SE
Vehicle Showcase
One criticism I have of the tune is the shift point is way too high. Maybe its for people who like revving high regardless of the minimal gains but honestly for performance reasons I would set the shift point right around 4750. Absolutely no higher than 5250... this 6000 shift point is silliness.... you feel the car gain power immediately after it shifts and then instantly lose power cause you are on a rapidly declining torque curve.
I dont get any of that on my car... My responsiveness and performance is very much improved as are the shift points. I couldnt be happier with the calibration.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I agree. I saw a video of someone coaxing the a10 to shift sooner, by a quick lift of throttle technique. But then again you always have the paddles to grab a gear when u want..

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Just flashed the tune today so all my mods are now on the EcoVert. After the flash, we took the car out and the shop logged some pulls. AFR looks good and the car definitely spools up a lot faster. The car has a tank of Sunoco 93 in it and is still learning the octane values as it felt like it was hitting a fuel cut occasionally during pulls. So far, it feels pretty good. I was tempted to dyno it before and after but it's not really important to me since it's just for cruising. I will say the 122mph speed limiter is still programmed into the ECU incase anyone is wondering.

Now that the wife's EcoVert is done being modded, time for me to return my focus to Whippled GT. Thanks for all the info guys.
Less than 100 miles later on the tune, the car threw two rods out at 2/3rds throttle in 3rd gear after leaving a stoplight on the way to get ice cream with the family. The car surged/bucked/stuttered and then white smoke. I knew what had happened when I heard the metallic clanging .

I ordered a new crate motor that's getting installed along with the stock tune going back in. I paid $600+ dollars for a "safe" tune and the engine let go. Best of luck guys.

Sponsored

Curt698

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Convertible Ecoboost AT 2013 Kawaski Vulcan 900 Classic LT
I ordered a new crate motor that's getting installed along with the stock tune going back in. I paid $600+ dollars for a "safe" tune and the engine let go. Best of luck guys.
Did you order the motor or did Ford order it for you? Shouldn't this still be under warranty?

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I would be really sure that there wasn't some other issue not related to the tune. I don't see how 2/3 throttle would cause two rods to go, the load just wouldn't be that high. If there is some other issue involved, the new engine would likely be at risk as well, regardless of the tune in the car.

stratocaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I would be really sure that there wasn't some other issue not related to the tune. I don't see how 2/3 throttle would cause two rods to go, the load just wouldn't be that high. If there is some other issue involved, the new engine would likely be at risk as well, regardless of the tune in the car.
Could be low speed pre-ignition, which may or may not have anything to do with the tune. Your situation sounds like that may be the case - low speed, high-load.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Hopefully that engine failure will be covered by warranty, but it would be easy to blame the tune.

Curt698

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Convertible Ecoboost AT 2013 Kawaski Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Hopefully that engine failure will be covered by warranty, but it would be easy to blame the tune.
I totally agree that the tune could be to blame. My point is that the Ford Performance tune is supposed to protect the warranty, that is why people go to the trouble of getting an certified shop to flash it and settle for a few less horses.

Sponsored

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
Did you order the motor or did Ford order it for you? Shouldn't this still be under warranty?
I had the new crate motor ordered and it'll go in when it arrives. I don't feel like going through battling to get it replaced under warranty with the aftermarket intercooler installed and I definitely don't have the free time to deal with it. It's just easier for me to write the check and replace it.

Low rpm and high load. We logged the car after the tune and saw a couple of really high boost spikes but they were high enough that they seemed like an error instead of being actual.

The car drove perfectly over 2k miles on vacation and we put the tune in it the day I got back into town on my way back. It was definitely the tune and the car did run extremely strong with it in until the engine let go.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I had the new crate motor ordered and it'll go in when it arrives. I don't feel like going through battling to get it replaced under warranty with the aftermarket intercooler installed and I definitely don't have the free time to deal with it. It's just easier for me to write the check and replace it.

Low rpm and high load. We logged the car after the tune and saw a couple of really high boost spikes but they were high enough that they seemed like an error instead of being actual.

The car drove perfectly over 2k miles on vacation and we put the tune in it the day I got back into town on my way back. It was definitely the tune and the car did run extremely strong with it in until the engine let go.
What year is the car? Wondering if you have the first 18 to blow due to a tune? Also protune or Ford tune? I might have missed that info sorry if I did.

PTM5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP A10
What year is the car? Wondering if you have the first 18 to blow due to a tune? Also protune or Ford tune? I might have missed that info sorry if I did.
2018 A10 EcoVert. It popped on the Ford Performance tune.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
2018 A10 EcoVert. It popped on the Ford Performance tune.
Well at least they Warranty it that's good. Sorry that happened. Honestly surprised it did. Really was hoping the 18's had the bugs worked out

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
...Low rpm and high load. We logged the car after the tune and saw a couple of really high boost spikes but they were high enough that they seemed like an error instead of being actual.

Shit.

So much for having my dyno guys start the pulls @ 2K rpm next time. There are big things starting to happen above 2K with these little engines and I hate to miss that data at the dyno, but I don't want to pop the engine on the dyno, either. The reality is though that I drive the car like that every day - maybe not locked in 7th for a pull from 2K to 6K, but I sure merge with traffic, accelerate on ramps, etc. The auto probably makes that world a little softer than a manual by kicking down when it needs to, but still. Shit.
Sponsored