Sponsored

2017 PP Front wheel bearing

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Have not seen many front wheel bearing posts so I thought I would share mine. My car has about 2200 miles on it. A good part of it is track days and drag racing. I started to get a screeching sound rounding corners. I thought for sure it was one of tge rear bearings as I have lost a halfshaft previously. I changed them out but the stockers looked fine. So I checked the front bearing and the drivers side was making alot of noise and motion. Needless to say it was bad and here is what I found. New moog piece made it right as rain.

22104717_2016414565305556_1819731635892435905_o.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So what we are seeing is the wheel hub on the LEFT (in your pic) shows what appears to be the bearing raising out of the hub assembly - correct?

How much was the MOOG part - and did you not warranty it via a Ford Service Center because of mods for track use?

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
So the Wheel bearing on the Left is the stock one. In the picture you can see the inner race is coming out of the bearing. On the car this is all captured but basically it felt like the race was gone or had no defined groove. The hub would click and pop when moved back and forth. The car drove fine but when cornering made lots of noise.

I think it could of been covered by warranty. When I called the dealership they had no problem with it except they could not look at the car for two weeks, and I have an auto cross I wanted to hit this weekend.

Even if I do track the car I do not feel bad for having wheel bearings covered at 2200 miles. The wheel bearings are fundamental and should last the life of the car under normal use. So even if I shortened the life by 50%, racing the car, I highly doubt 4500 miles is the service life of the bearings.

Last edited:

chris_keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Red
What was the socket size on the front nut for the bearing? Is it 32mm like the rear?

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
The nut is bigger than the one on the rear. I believe it was 36mm.

Sponsored

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Out of curiousity does the Moog piece look of better quality and robustness? I have been using Moog problem solver sus components for years, great stuff and made in USA.
Also since you are a track guy why didnt you go for Timken bearings?? I always heard they were the best wheel bearings.

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
The moog pieces look to have better seals and the bearings are marked USA, the stock stuff says China. I would go Timkin but they don't have anything to offer that is easily found on the interweBs anyway.

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
My rear driver bearing was going out at 22,000 miles. Normal driving most of the time. Used a OEM bearing though to replace it. Hopefully just a one time thing....

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Dealer just replace my rear driver bearing as well

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
My rear driver bearing was going out at 22,000 miles. Normal driving most of the time. Used a OEM bearing though to replace it. Hopefully just a one time thing....
Exactly what just happened to mine. If it happens again I'll put Moog back on it.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What are the obvious symptoms of the hub bearing failures (while driving, what to listen to or feel or be on the watch for)?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I didn't know until I had the car up on one side to swap out the crappy OEM lug nuts for some Gorilla units and the wheel rocked when I leaned on it.

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Mine was squeeling during low speed cornering, dont confuse 8t with brake squeel. This has a rythym to it

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Moog must have changed their requirements for this part. I ordered two and the boxes say made in China and the hubs don’t have any marking. The studs do not have the flats so they have to be cut in order to be removed.

OP
OP
DAVECS1

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Moog must have changed their requirements for this part. I ordered two and the boxes say made in China and the hubs don’t have any marking. The studs do not have the flats so they have to be cut in order to be removed.
Well this is something I do not want to hear. This has been a good fix so far. It would really be a loss if moog has taken away an option for us in the name of cheap labor. You can clearly see the one in the picture above is not made as you are describing, so I would concur with your assumption if things have changed.
Sponsored