Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
For total numbers when I was told by more than a few ford execs back in spring before final release. The expected numbers on TOTAL gt350 production would be about 5000 non R and about 500 R's. I was also told run til 2017 then gt500 steps in. Price estimate is approx. $20k or so higher but alot more horsepower and probably turboed going Ecoboost. There are a few videos out there with these numbers mentioned multiple times as well as auto show and SEMA talk. 5000 Total not per year. Big difference.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
For total numbers when I was told by more than a few ford execs back in spring before final release. The expected numbers on TOTAL gt350 production would be about 5000 non R and about 500 R's. I was also told run til 2017 then gt500 steps in. Price estimate is approx. $20k or so higher but alot more horsepower and probably turboed going Ecoboost. There are a few videos out there with these numbers mentioned multiple times as well as auto show and SEMA talk. 5000 Total not per year. Big difference.
only we are already past 2500 this year and they need to hit 3600 for legality in racing according to ford. R needs 360 minimum this year. That would make 2017 a very short production run and a heavy miss on qualifying for the racing series they were talking about.

Also on the GT350RC, the only interest in it will be from racing teams. Unlike previous race specials, the RC is "worse" than the stock car. Restrictor on the engine, and a downgrade on the brakes highlight the obvious changes. It will be interesting to see if it has high quality coilovers from the factory or just the stock base suspension for teams to select their own. That said, I hope many are bought and raced. Should make good collectors bait down the line, and being a winning car helps that unlike street cars where they want them factory fresh.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
only we are already past 2500 this year and they need to hit 3600 for legality in racing according to ford. R needs 360 minimum this year. That would make 2017 a very short production run and a heavy miss on qualifying for the racing series they were talking about.

Also on the GT350RC, the only interest in it will be from racing teams. Unlike previous race specials, the RC is "worse" than the stock car. Restrictor on the engine, and a downgrade on the brakes highlight the obvious changes. It will be interesting to see if it has high quality coilovers from the factory or just the stock base suspension for teams to select their own. That said, I hope many are bought and raced. Should make good collectors bait down the line, and being a winning car helps that unlike street cars where they want them factory fresh.
The 302R was the Challenge series car to series specs which has identical or slightly upgraded parts in a lot of areas to the road car. The 302S was a more balls to the wall racer that was superior in every way to the road car for track use. Maybe Ford will do something similar with the 350? :shrug:

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
The 302R was the Challenge series car to series specs which has identical or slightly upgraded parts in a lot of areas to the road car. The 302S was a more balls to the wall racer that was superior in every way to the road car for track use. Maybe Ford will do something similar with the 350? :shrug:
Yah, older models had some nice bits to make them track ready... but the GT350 has all that stuff already on in the R. Remains to be seen how prepped the customer cars are, Ford has gone back and forth between show up with a check and drive to cheapest way to get your team prepping the car on its own.

Regardless if you want a street car a GT350R will be cheaper and better than a RC thanks to the class rules limiting peformance parts to less than stock.

Now if they would make one for GT3 racing..... lol.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Unlike previous race specials, the RC is "worse" than the stock car. Restrictor on the engine, and a downgrade on the brakes highlight the obvious changes.
The only downgrade in the brakes department is the diameter of the rotors. The actual braking performance is far superior to the street model thanks to stiffer calipers and thicker pads. The brakes are designed for actual wheel-to-wheel racing and not just magazine tests and track days as in the street GT350.

The Boss 302 racecars had engine restrictors as well. Hell, there was even a protest by race teams campaigning the Boss 302R/S because the restrictors were causing engine failures.

Yah, older models had some nice bits to make them track ready... but the GT350 has all that stuff already on in the R.

Most of the parts on the GT350R are removed from the racecar like the CF wheels and mag ride. Basically only the bodywork and engine/trans are carryovers to the GT350R-C.

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
IMSA's regulations for car eligibility in Conti is 500 units per year minimum... not 3,600.

Page 2 - Section 2- Car Eligiblity:

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/files/uploads/2015 CTSC Technical Regulations FINAL (3).pdf

And just like politics, IMSA can be bought, so that number doesn't really mean anything. "Exemption from minimum production requirements must be approved by IMSA". That's probably how Ford got away with racing it part of last year. ("AND must be available for purchase through normal dealer outlets in the U.S. 30 days or more prior to competing in an event")

Last edited:

Baz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 V6 Pony Pkg
I thought GT350 production pretty much was confirmed past 2017 within the new UAW contract where it stated the engine would continue to be produced well into the future with budgeting set for advancements and improvements. I don't see the Voodoo mixing it up with any other model except maybe for a Lightning revival or a Lincoln halo car which is a huge stretch. Plus with the new Camaro's line up Ford will need things like a GT350 and GT500 to compete, also gives us an extra year or so having Top Ramen to cover these insane ADMs lol.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
also gives us an extra year or so having Top Ramen to cover these insane ADMs lol.
Hopefully these upgrades for 2017 cause dealers to get realistic with their silly prices on the 16s.

Baz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 V6 Pony Pkg
Hopefully these upgrades for 2017 cause dealers to get realistic with their silly prices on the 16s.
Hope so, I'd love to get a non-R w/ tech pack but the going rate seems to be $100k to $80k... for a car of MSRP of $58k.
Sponsored