2017 Mustang GT 6MT Start Sequence.

S550Felipe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey everyone, I was wondering how everyone with a 6MT starts their car? I own a 2017 5.0. Currently to start the car I have to press and hold the ignition button then I have to press the clutch in. Is this normal ? I thought the sequence would be opposite, so clutch in and then ignition button. Lmk . Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
should be clutch in and tap button.
since you are holding the button without the clutch depressed it is probably waiting until the clutch is in then starts up.
If the car wont start with a single tap of the button and clutch in there is some kind of programming issue would be my guess.

OP
OP
S550Felipe

S550Felipe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Felipe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
should be clutch in and tap button.
since you are holding the button without the clutch depressed it is probably waiting until the clutch is in then starts up.
If the car wont start with a single tap of the button and clutch in there is some kind of programming issue would be my guess.
Yeah I thought so ! Sadly my car wont start like that . Is there anyway I can change it back to normal ??

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Never knew there was a way to change it. Not sure what would make the car startup like that. Someone with more knowledge than me might have an idea.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Mine: clutch in -> Press & release start button. Done. Maybe the backwards gremlins were messing with your car.

Sponsored

vdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6mt
Clutch in, right foot on brakes, then ignition button. I did not even know you could do the reverse.

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Yeah sadly I have to hold ignition + brake , then press the clutch in.
I think something might be wrong. I've never seen any car start like that. It's always clutch in, press and release button. Fires right up.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
You may have a problem with the clutch pedal switch, which detects the position of the pedal.

Normally, this switch detects the end position when the pedal is fully pressed in.
Since this switch is a condition for ignition, the START button will only react when the clutch switch is closed (pedal fully pressed).

In your case clutch switch may be closed before the pedal reaches its final position, but not any more on the final position itself.

Therefore, the ignition only starts when the START button is pressed and the pedal passes the switch-on point for a moment.

You can test this by sequentially pressing the START button while slowly depressing clutch pedal (take care to be in neutral gear during this test+brake is applied).

If on some position of the pedal engine will ignite, you have the problem with the switch mentioned above.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I noticed that the start button light either (I can't remember exactly) changes color or lights up when I push in the clutch pedal. Then I press it to start the car.

I suggest you try that... get in the car, slowly press down the clutch and see what, if anything, the start button does.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No need for brake pedal, even on my 2019 Bullitt. Just depress the clutch pedal until the start button lights up (very close to the end of pedal travel). Once it's lit, just touch it, and engine starts cranking.

As a related comment, I was curious if the button is a fully automated start cycle, or just a starter switch. I treat it as a starter switch (releasing until engine fires up), but I'm curious if it's automated or not. Thx.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Clutch in, press button, fires right up. I don't believe I hold the button, but its so automatic to me that I never really paid attention.
'17 GT Premium.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Confirm or set parking brake.
Clutch and brake.
Shift to neutral.
Press Start button.
Release clutch.

Learned it that way on my '70 Mach 1 (which would fire up whenever you turned the key, regardless of clutch/brake/gear positions) and never saw a reason to change in the past 42 years.
Sponsored