2017 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 VS. 2017 FORD MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R: THE FOREVER WAR

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Come on, man. I'm done with the cheap shots. I simply meant that if one hasn't personally driven the new ZL1, I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. I referenced the 2013 GT500, because I think that fella had one before and I've had one before.
How is that a cheap shot? You are comparing a previous gen Mustang with one of the more simple (at least on the rear end) suspension designs to a brand new gen car with one of the latest (if not the latest) in suspension tech. Not a great comparison.

I think it is just a wee bit fairer to compare the current GT350 vs the new ZL1 when it comes to suspensions.
Sponsored

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I cant believe I am getting involved in this thread but here goes. I've driven a new ZL1, hard - it is a very very capable car. I consider myself an "OK" driver, not great, not terrible... at speed the ZL1 felt great, I didn't have to worry about where the corners were, steering feel was great, immense power, good gearbox. Yes, moving it around at low speed is kind of annoying. Mostly funny since you tend to think everything is 6 ft closer to it than it actually is. The blindspot really does stink. Interior is definitely nice enough for me. I'd be really happy purchasing one. It is beyond excellent for the money.

So, here is the but... My GT350 is not as fast. It *feels* faster when you hit 5k rpm but that's just a mirage. It is straight up not as quick in a straight line, especially passing gears. The interior is more spartan. I added alcantara shift boot, armrest and parking break boot and it helped but it just isn't as nice. What it is, imo, is way more fun. The steering feel is akin to a car much, much more expensive . The power delivery isn't nearly as intense but it is more exhilarating. I can park it without looking insane and lets be honest, the sound is damned near perfect.

So ya, im pretty much just throwing up what all the reviewers have said. ZL1, amazing machine, relatively inexpensive, tough to drive slow... GT350, well, it just has a visceral feeling you dont get it many other cars. I am sure me in a ZL1 1LE would beat me in a GT350 in a race, road course or straight line... but me in a GT350 is having more fun and kind of doesnt care. Cheers.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I cant believe I am getting involved in this thread but here goes. I've driven a new ZL1, hard - it is a very very capable car. I consider myself an "OK" driver, not great, not terrible... at speed the ZL1 felt great, I didn't have to worry about where the corners were, steering feel was great, immense power, good gearbox. Yes, moving it around at low speed is kind of annoying. Mostly funny since you tend to think everything is 6 ft closer to it than it actually is. The blindspot really does stink. Interior is definitely nice enough for me. I'd be really happy purchasing one. It is beyond excellent for the money.

So, here is the but... My GT350 is not as fast. It *feels* faster when you hit 5k rpm but that's just a mirage. It is straight up not as quick in a straight line, especially passing gears. The interior is more spartan. I added alcantara shift boot, armrest and parking break boot and it helped but it just isn't as nice. What it is, imo, is way more fun. The steering feel is akin to a car much, much more expensive . The power delivery isn't nearly as intense but it is more exhilarating. I can park it without looking insane and lets be honest, the sound is damned near perfect.

So ya, im pretty much just throwing up what all the reviewers have said. ZL1, amazing machine, relatively inexpensive, tough to drive slow... GT350, well, it just has a visceral feeling you dont get it many other cars. I am sure me in a ZL1 1LE would beat me in a GT350 in a race, road course or straight line... but me in a GT350 is having more fun and kind of doesnt care. Cheers.
EXACTLY. End thread.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
Have you driven a GT350? The power band is so large in this car that you aren't shifting all that often in a lot of different scenarios. I drive mine in stop and go traffic and have no problem with it. The clutch is light and the the above reasoning makes it no big deal in traffic.

By the way, I can't tell if you are completely serious with this post, but if you were looking to get a reaction out of people you are going to get your wish. Too tired to shift (really?). To lazy (or tired) to even figure out how your A10 works? :shrug:
I've driven plenty of cars with wide power bands...most recently up to 8000 RPMs. And I drive in city, hwy, all sorts of traffic. Sometimes the hwy can be gridlocked bumper to bumper and then immediately you're going 90 mph again. After working a night shift on your feet for anywhere from 8-16 hours and then having a long drive home, sometimes taking an hour and a half, then yes compared to an auto a manual is a LOT of work. Especially when traffic is going at a speed where one gear is too high and the other is too low so you're constantly shifting back and forth because the flow of traffic keeps changing. Not just that but the fact that this trans just hits the sweet spot instantly every single time is pretty freakin cool. Like I said before tho, different strokes for different folks. Some feel the complete opposite and that is cool. But for me I had to switch from manuals. I know some people think they are the best and are super fun and that is cool. But I don't. And you can knock me all you want for it...but what I said is no more outlandish than someone else calling supercharger whine "annoying". We all have our tastes.

How is that a cheap shot? You are comparing a previous gen Mustang with one of the more simple (at least on the rear end) suspension designs to a brand new gen car with one of the latest (if not the latest) in suspension tech. Not a great comparison.

I think it is just a wee bit fairer to compare the current GT350 vs the new ZL1 when it comes to suspensions.
You do need to take it down a bit. I don't know if you're joking with your comments or really are getting pissed off. I can only go by what you write. And from where I stand it seems like you're taking offense to just about everything I and mdmoore say even tho neither of us have put down a Mustang. We're both just sharing our experiences. And I don't know about you, but I have a very long list of Stangs I've owned. From 351 converted SN95s to 5.4 converted New Edges with boost to Foxes to just about everything else you can think of. I have been in and out of more Mustangs in the past 10 years than I can count on both hands. Even SOHC T-Birds, Mark VIIIs, F150s, etc. So stop treating us like we're enemies or trying to troll or get a rise out of you guys. I have been kicked off of Camaro pages for defending Mustangs. I have been called a "Mustang fanboy" by Chevy loyalists. I have been talked down to at tracks and meets for bringing my Mustangs when Chevy guys were there. I have seen Mustang guys get bypassed at shows due to bias. And I have been treated just as badly by Mustang guys due to the fact that I've owned just about every Camaro there is from TPIs to LT1s to LS1s to everything else man. Chill the eff out a bit. Nobody is trying to fight you guys. We're just sharing our unique experiences from being on BOTH sides of the fence.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Have you driven a GT350? The power band is so large in this car that you aren't shifting all that often in a lot of different scenarios. I drive mine in stop and go traffic and have no problem with it. The clutch is light and the the above reasoning makes it no big deal in traffic.

By the way, I can't tell if you are completely serious with this post, but if you were looking to get a reaction out of people you are going to get your wish. Too tired to shift (really?). To lazy (or tired) to even figure out how your A10 works? :shrug:
Jason, as I said previously mentioned this poster is no automotive enthusiast but someone who continues to pretend that he knows something about HP vehicles and brags about how much money he makes so what does that tell you about his mentality?

As you mentioned in your post about him being too tired to shift gears or too lazy to shift gears let alone knowing nothing about automatic starts on MT automobiles what does that tell you about his knowledge or experience?

I am very happy that he makes a lot of money based on his self proclaim but he has not idea about being an automotive enthusiast which is another self proclaim that I can tell is totally without merit.

For this person to suggest that all previous Mustangs and Camaro's were pretty much all the same sums it up very well.

He has absolutely no idea!!

He make a lot more money than me but after being an automotive enthusiast for ~50 years his comments are pretty much a joke based on lack of knowledge and experience.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I've driven plenty of cars with wide power bands...most recently up to 8000 RPMs. And I drive in city, hwy, all sorts of traffic. Sometimes the hwy can be gridlocked bumper to bumper and then immediately you're going 90 mph again. After working a night shift on your feet for anywhere from 8-16 hours and then having a long drive home, sometimes taking an hour and a half, then yes compared to an auto a manual is a LOT of work. Especially when traffic is going at a speed where one gear is too high and the other is too low so you're constantly shifting back and forth because the flow of traffic keeps changing. Not just that but the fact that this trans just hits the sweet spot instantly every single time is pretty freakin cool. Like I said before tho, different strokes for different folks. Some feel the complete opposite and that is cool. But for me I had to switch from manuals. I know some people think they are the best and are super fun and that is cool. But I don't. And you can knock me all you want for it...but what I said is no more outlandish than someone else calling supercharger whine "annoying". We all have our tastes.

You do need to take it down a bit. I don't know if you're joking with your comments or really are getting pissed off. I can only go by what you write. And from where I stand it seems like you're taking offense to just about everything I and mdmoore say even tho neither of us have put down a Mustang. We're both just sharing our experiences. And I don't know about you, but I have a very long list of Stangs I've owned. From 351 converted SN95s to 5.4 converted New Edges with boost to Foxes to just about everything else you can think of. I have been in and out of more Mustangs in the past 10 years than I can count on both hands. Even SOHC T-Birds, Mark VIIIs, F150s, etc. So stop treating us like we're enemies or trying to troll or get a rise out of you guys. I have been kicked off of Camaro pages for defending Mustangs. I have been called a "Mustang fanboy" by Chevy loyalists. I have been talked down to at tracks and meets for bringing my Mustangs when Chevy guys were there. I have seen Mustang guys get bypassed at shows due to bias. And I have been treated just as badly by Mustang guys due to the fact that I've owned just about every Camaro there is from TPIs to LT1s to LS1s to everything else man. Chill the eff out a bit. Nobody is trying to fight you guys. We're just sharing our unique experiences from being on BOTH sides of the fence.
I really have no idea what you are talking about. And pissed off? Not even close, just chiming in on things when I have something to say. And your unique experiences driving the freeway in an automatic car. That's unique, to who? :shrug::lol:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jason, as I said previously mentioned this poster is no automotive enthusiast but someone who continues to pretend that he knows something about HP vehicles and brags about how much money he makes so what does that tell you about his mentality?

As you mentioned in your post about him being too tired to shift gears or too lazy to shift gears let alone knowing nothing about automatic starts on MT automobiles what does that tell you about his knowledge or experience?

I am very happy that he makes a lot of money based on his self proclaim but he has not idea about being an automotive enthusiast which is another self proclaim that I can tell is totally without merit.

For this person to suggest that all previous Mustangs and Camaro's were pretty much all the same sums it up very well.

He has absolutely no idea!!

He make a lot more money than me but after being an automotive enthusiast for ~50 years his comments are pretty much a joke based on lack of knowledge and experience.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Never bragged about making money. I simply mentioned one time that I make good money and it was to point out something. I never said the older Mustangs and Camaros were all the same. I was simply explaining that I have owned a variety of Mustangs and Camaros over the years. I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable or most experienced, but if you are ever in NJ and would like to go to a track or car show just to walk around and talk to people and converse with them or even cruise over to a few of the local shops and talk with some of the guys there then I would enjoy that.

There are only 2 systems that I know of that are federally approved as automatic starts in vehicles. A local shop has one of those systems and quoted me the price on the install. However there is a long process to initiate or to allow the vehicle to go into auto start mode. The shop owner went over that process with me a couple times back a few months ago when I considered it for my 2015 GT. However after going over I decided that it was not something I wanted. When I mentioned auto starts in my post tho, I was talking about OEM systems. I do not know of any vehicle manufacturer that has auto start equipped on their vehicles. If you know of one then I was wrong and I would like to know which vehicle it is.

I said "lazy" about myself as a little bit of self-deprecating tongue in cheek humor. But it seems that no matter what I say there is no way to get a civil response from any of you. From the start all of you (besides J_Maher) have done nothing but ride me and belittle me and insult me. I tried to be as pleasant and civil and cordial as possible and all it has done is made you guys even more aggressive. I have not said anything in favor of the ZL1 except what we all know from this shoot-out. And even then I did not praise it over the R. I never said one thing negative about the R. And I have many times acknowledged that it not only won the shoot-out, but that I also completely agreed with MT's results based on the way they explained it. Yet despite all that you guys continue to badger me and ridicule everything I say. My most recent posts included me explaining how I felt about the A10 trans and that pushed you guys off the edge...even amidst me making a joke about myself. I pointed to MT's comments about the GT350R and ZL1 and even that led to criticism. And even now after talking about all my experiences with different Fords over the years you still find a way to belittle me and talk trash. And all you did in your comment was exaggerate and misrepresent what I said. There is no logical way anyone could ever pick out that I said all generations of Mustangs and Camaros are the same.So I can say as of now, as politely and respectfully as I can say it, I am fed up and I really don't care if any of you are insulted or don't like what I have to say. I have followed the rules of this forum. And I will continue to do so. And I WILL continue to comment on here because I have every right to do so. And if you dislike anything I say that much and feel like you can flame me out of here then keep trying. Good luck with that.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really have no idea what you are talking about. And pissed off? Not even close, just chiming in on things when I have something to say. And your unique experiences driving the freeway in an automatic car. That's unique, to who? :shrug::lol:
Unique experiences from owning many different cars from Ford to Chevy is what I meant. A lot of people are biased. However mdmoore has owned both a GT350 and a ZL1. So that makes his experiences unique because he can explain what he thought about both cars. I have had experiences in both cars as well. Not from the driver's seat of a GT350 or GT350R but I have felt it. And it is a superb car. I've driven plenty of Mustangs from GTs to some of the upper models. Same with Camaros. I've owned one of each at the same time. And I have several friends who likewise have owned a mix of cars. I've driven theirs, they've driven mine, we've raced, etc. So I feel as if I do have an extensive knowledge of a lot of different cars and unique experiences. And I do feel like I am an enthusiast. As an enthusiast, I can confidently say that I do not prefer Mustangs or Camaros over others although right now I have gravitated towards Camaros. At different times tho I have gravitated towards Mustangs because of what they offered. But overall, they are both equal in my eyes. Where one falls short the other excels and vice versa. They both offer such different experiences that I literally chose to drive my SS or my GT based on how I felt or how I wanted to drive on any particular day. Heck I've driven my SS and then came home to park it and drive my GT many times. Both being late models. Not many people can say that. So yes I do feel like my experiences are unique and not based on highway driving an auto trans car, lol!!

mdmoore23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ZL1
Unique experiences from owning many different cars from Ford to Chevy is what I meant. A lot of people are biased. However mdmoore has owned both a GT350 and a ZL1. So that makes his experiences unique because he can explain what he thought about both cars. I have had experiences in both cars as well. Not from the driver's seat of a GT350 or GT350R but I have felt it. And it is a superb car. I've driven plenty of Mustangs from GTs to some of the upper models. Same with Camaros. I've owned one of each at the same time. And I have several friends who likewise have owned a mix of cars. I've driven theirs, they've driven mine, we've raced, etc. So I feel as if I do have an extensive knowledge of a lot of different cars and unique experiences. And I do feel like I am an enthusiast. As an enthusiast, I can confidently say that I do not prefer Mustangs or Camaros over others although right now I have gravitated towards Camaros. At different times tho I have gravitated towards Mustangs because of what they offered. But overall, they are both equal in my eyes. Where one falls short the other excels and vice versa. They both offer such different experiences that I literally chose to drive my SS or my GT based on how I felt or how I wanted to drive on any particular day. Heck I've driven my SS and then came home to park it and drive my GT many times. Both being late models. Not many people can say that. So yes I do feel like my experiences are unique and not based on highway driving an auto trans car, lol!!
Just to be clear, I have not owned a GT350 before. My most recent Mustang was the 2013 GT500.

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to be clear, I have not owned a GT350 before. My most recent Mustang was the 2013 GT500.
OH, lol!! My bad. But damn bro I would have loved a GT500. Several months ago I had a chance to buy a 14 GT500 with low miles for a really good price and I was soo tempted. But unfortunately I had to get a SUV for Winter months. But it was still a tough decision to pass it up. I also had a chance to get one brand new back in 2012. But I held out because at the time I thought I would be doing some traveling...which never happened. So it seems like they just keep slipping thru my fingers.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
You still haven't answered if you've ever driven a GT350 unless I missed it.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You still haven't answered if you've ever driven a GT350 unless I missed it.
Yea I don't really have to answer to you now do I sunshine? How about instead of talking about me you talk about the GT350R or the shootout...

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Yea I don't really have to answer to you now do I sunshine? How about instead of talking about me you talk about the GT350R or the shootout...
That's what I thought. How about instead of crying/whining all the time you actually take your own advice and find a GT350 to drive and compare to the ZL1. You know, like you guys keep telling us to just drive the ZL1 etc.

Before you reply with another war and peace length post, I really don't care what Mustangs or Camaros you've driven in the past as it isn't relative to this thread.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's what I thought. How about instead of crying/whining all the time you actually take your own advice and find a GT350 to drive and compare to the ZL1. You know, like you guys keep telling us to just drive the ZL1 etc.

Before you reply with another war and peace length post, I really don't care what Mustangs or Camaros you've driven in the past as it isn't relative to this thread.
It's too much work to push the clutch pedal in on the GT350.
Sponsored