JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
@Sterling,

Tell them that their customers are getting pissed off and being left out in the dark with upgrades on SYNC and that it shouldn't be that hard to swap out the necessary components so that an upgrade to Gen 3 would be doable. Hell, a lot of people would pay for the move to GNX, I know I would.

This is the 3rd Mustang I've had in 5 years and every . single . one has had zero SYNC updates available sans an immediate patch on the 2013 model. Functionality-wise, other cars had options the Mustang didn't have and no upgrades were ever provided. This really isn't that hard to do.
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Can't give details, but just take my word that Sync Gen 3 is worth the wait. Especially from a voice recognition standpoint (we're talking orders of magnitude better).
Besides not having a better touch screen, this is my primary complaint with MFT. Voice recognition sucks. I don't mind the MFT layout, although I would like a more customizable NAV.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
great color choice.
Have to agree with that. But I like the Redline interior with the white, silver, Magnetic, Black and DIB. Just something with a little extra pop.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I was at the D.C. Auto show today and the woman doing the GT350 talk was pretty nice and told me that more Mustang news will be coming up at NY Auto show. She said they 'might' do something at Chicago but for sure at NY.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Spartan..........is that "general" Mustang news, or GT350 specific? :)

Sponsored

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
I will start by saying that I have never owned anything other than a truck or a SUV. However, over the last few months I have been reading up on the 2015 Mustangs after seeing one pass me in traffic. I am 100% convinced my next car will be a Mustang GT Premium with the performance package.

I understand that the Mustang wasn't released long ago but I am curious as to when the 2016 should be released. My understanding is that it should/will be very similar to this years minus the Microsoft platform and adding blackberry. I don't know much about the blackberry platform but I do know that Sync doesn't work well with my Iphone 6 in my explorer.

Should I wait or pull the trigger now? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
The GT350 comes out next year, so It would be likely that they don't release a new mustang until 2017 or 2018. Besides, it's the 50th anniversary of the car so they're gonna keep that for a while.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
@Sterling,

Tell them that their customers are getting pissed off and being left out in the dark with upgrades on SYNC and that it shouldn't be that hard to swap out the necessary components so that an upgrade to Gen 3 would be doable. Hell, a lot of people would pay for the move to GNX, I know I would.

This is the 3rd Mustang I've had in 5 years and every . single . one has had zero SYNC updates available sans an immediate patch on the 2013 model. Functionality-wise, other cars had options the Mustang didn't have and no upgrades were ever provided. This really isn't that hard to do.
2 thoughts.

1) I'm here because I like mustangs, not as a Ford rep. If you want to complain bring it up to someone that's actually paid to represent the company.

2) I'm going to assume you're not an electrical engineer or computer scientist, so I'll give you a pass on not understanding the difficulty making these things happen on automobile. But long story short, SYNC updates are constantly made available, but unless if you get a vehicle with an embedded modem, it's on you to either go to the dealer or upload it via microSD.

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i

The hardware is completely different. This is a major upgrade. You have to swap out the whole headunit and who knows what else.

Regarding updates, the new Sync 3 will have the ability to be updated via WiFi. So if you are near your home's WiFi hotspot (or your cell phone's hotspot) you can do an update if available. No more difficult updates.

Some people were giving the reason that the first version of Sync 3 will have bugs. I'm sure it will. But the fact it can be updated via WiFi easily, gives them the ability to fix those bugs.

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
2 thoughts.

1) I'm here because I like mustangs, not as a Ford rep. If you want to complain bring it up to someone that's actually paid to represent the company.

2) I'm going to assume you're not an electrical engineer or computer scientist, so I'll give you a pass on not understanding the difficulty making these things happen on automobile. But long story short, SYNC updates are constantly made available, but unless if you get a vehicle with an embedded modem, it's on you to either go to the dealer or upload it via microSD.
Sync3 will be able to update via wifi. I expect/hope to see regular updates.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I can't say that I have a problem with the current SYNC. I don't use the voice activation much though other than to make phone calls which it seems to work fine for.

I find it like the voice assistants on smartphones, more gimmicky than functional. I can change the radio station quicker from the steering wheel controls or flick the temp switch up and down way fast than voice command. It is just not convenient as it takes 3-5 seconds just to launch let alone perform the task.

It's nice to have when you cant take your eyes off the road in traffic or something, but I can't say I use it regularly enough to matter.

Sponsored

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
New guy here, been trying to decide on my next sports car and after they put IRS in the stang that sealed the deal...I traditionally do not buy first model years but I haven't seen any deal breaker issues with the 15 until I started hearing about MFT...Id like to wait but I dunno if I can go another summer without out a sports car...I have been in withdraw since parting with my Z last summer. Great forum here by the way, much friendlier than some others around the web!

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
New guy here, been trying to decide on my next sports car and after they put IRS in the stang that sealed the deal...I traditionally do not buy first model years but I haven't seen any deal breaker issues with the 15 until I started hearing about MFT...Id like to wait but I dunno if I can go another summer without out a sports car...I have been in withdraw since parting with my Z last summer. Great forum here by the way, much friendlier than some others around the web!
Honestly the whole MFT ordeal is overblown. Is SYNC Gen 3 considerably better? Yes, for a variety of reasons.

But let me qualify that with saying when was the last time you spent the bulk of your time in a sports car worrying about your pandora app? For the simple things like hands free calling, MFT is frankly good enough; it's really for the app compatibility and voice command that you start to see the differences.

SeventhWard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SeventhWard
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT
While the prospect of Sync3 certainly is appealing, I couldn't see myself waiting another 8 months for the 2016 models. The system that's in there now is still very modern and accomplishes the tasks I'd ask of it - handle my phone, serve my media and help me out with navigation if I need it. Sync3 will do the same things, albeit maybe a little snappier or intuitively.

I figure that for the lifespan of the car, MyFordTouch is fine for me and if there's some incredible shift in mobile technology in a few years, the Mustang is mass-market enough to have aftermarket options I can throw in there.

Also for 2016, guys are remaining hopeful for the inclusion of the GT Performance Package with Automatics. There's no guarantees that will happen and again, it's more fun to drive the car NOW rather than wait and hope. If a PP does become available for the 2016, I'm sure all of those parts and components will still fit on the 2015, so no worries.

Same goes for Sync3, honestly. I know guys have been saying Sync3 has incompatible hardware but I have my doubts - I don't see how just doing a whole head-unit swap wouldn't do the trick.

-SeventhWard

joepro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Honestly the whole MFT ordeal is overblown. Is SYNC Gen 3 considerably better? Yes, for a variety of reasons.

But let me qualify that with saying when was the last time you spent the bulk of your time in a sports car worrying about your pandora app? For the simple things like hands free calling, MFT is frankly good enough; it's really for the app compatibility and voice command that you start to see the differences.
Honestly I kept the base stereo in my Z, had no tech what so ever, my previous car had a dual touch screen car PC with everything, and did I miss it yes but not enough to even swap the HU in my Z...I used the aux in and played music from the phone, it was good enough for a sports car. Really the only thing I need to work consistently with my new job is the hands free phone, I don't want to be resetting things and pulling fuses to get it to work. I run android I read a lot of complaints about iphones...not sure if it make a difference. Not sure I would even get nav...windshield mount for the phone with google maps will work fine...IF I could Id get premium with the base radio and swap it out this probably would not have been non-issue for me.

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Does anyone see parts / engine changes in 2016 or 2017??
When do you think Ford will do a refresh?
Just a little off topic here
Sponsored