2016 Camaro

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
That car looks awful nimble, not bloated.
Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile

I was thinking the same thing..The whole time I watched that video the word planted came to mind. I've driven the ATS with the alpha chassis and it really is amazing. If you paired that chassis up with magnetic shocks....watch out.

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
it sure sits up high. lots of ground clearance?

and the tires look very narrow, sounded like an auto. odd for the ring..

beers

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance
They're definitely not pushing the boundaries of design with this model. More of the same on that front.

The car seems to handle well from that vid though, probably a better base to build upon.

I'm sure they'll sell a ton of them, but I'm glad I got what I got.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, looks to have great body control.

it sure sits up high. lots of ground clearance?

and the tires look very narrow, sounded like an auto. odd for the ring..

beers
It does seem to sit very high, doesn't it? Hmm, certainly not keen on that (or the massive gaping air intake in the front fascia).

Hoping they're testing the 10-speed auto that GM and Ford are working on together :)

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
First thing I noticed in the video was how high it looks to sit. Then I watched a bit and noticed how flat it corners, and a lack of brake dive. Looks like a pretty capable car, regardless of what it may end up weighing.

airjonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ecoboost
Disappointed with styling. It looks good but it doesn't look far off from a 14MY.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Style wise it's an evolution of the Gen 5, which isn't really a bad thing because the 5th Gen Camaro can look really good when it isn't CamarBro'ed out.

My guess is that's a higher end SS model.

KARR_956

Magnetic Mania
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edson
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang v6
So we're basically just waiting for Bumblebee?:confused:

However, that handling though! Looks like at least the Mustang and Camaro will transition from drag wars to track wars :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
So we're basically just waiting for Bumblebee?:confused:

However, that handling though! Looks like at least the Mustang and Camaro will transition from drag wars to track wars :thumbsup:
He is always credited as "Camaro Concept" in the movies.

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
Seemingly shorter wheelbase than the Mustang and looks pretty agile at speed. I'm also betting full window size is taped up at this stage for a later "surprise". I think the GT will have to up its game very soon.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Here is a safety structure of the ATS wheelbase (short) Alpha. It pretty much confirms what I said previously. The front torque boxes received some pretty decent support in this supposed Turbo 4 variant, I expect more extensive reinforcement at both the front torque boxes and B-Pillar to support a 2 door body. It also appears that there is indeed another rear kickup used in the Alpha. This is another area of anticipated weight gain, or at least a trouble spot to lose weight.

I have been doing some research on the Alpha when I have time....

Here is the ATS Coupe... As you can see, some reinforcement has already been added just to support the added weight of a turbo... which isn't much. Usually, in todays automotive world of technology, the manufacturer would reinforce the structure on the inside of the shell castings, like the 2012 Camaro Convertible. What you see here is a 1980's style sub-frame connector...

If my name wasn't thePill, I'd be speechless...

Not much is known about the new 5 link IRS, it's cradle is similar to the 5th Gen's 4.5 link IRS. However, the cradle appears slimmer in some pics. Here is a birds eye view of the hub.

Edit: I take that back, it appears to be similar in mass although a bit more intricate.

A cut-away of the ATS showing the cradle and suspension mounting points.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think the GT will have to up its game very soon.
I assume the 6th gen Camaro will debut at Detroit in January, and go on sale towards the end of 2015?

Depending on when Ford decides to introduce the new Model Years for Mustang (when do we reckon we'll see the '16MY Mustang......early to mid 2015) then I suspect the next big bump in performance for the GT will be with Direct Injection. Would that wait for the first refresh (18MY??) or might they introduce it, along with the 10-speed auto, in the '17MY? It might make sense for Ford to make incremental changes, so engine/trans for '17MY and reworked sheet metal for '18MY?

Either way, the 6th gen Camaro will have a year or so on top, before Mustang leapfrogs it again.

Just my thoughts.....
Sponsored