Sponsored

Trunk Won't Open

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Morning All!

A few months ago, I had a ton of stuff in my trunk, moving from FL back to SC. My trunk wouldn't open, which was caused by overloading. I removed a bunch of stuff, and the trunk opened. Nothing to see here. Fast forward from November to January...

Now, yesterday, I got home from the gym, hit the trunk release button on the dashboard, and heard a relay click in the cabin, but no trunk release. I tried the key fob, and same thing - relay clicked, no trunk release. Trying the release at the trunk did the same. So, I crawled my 6'2", 245 pound body into the trunk and manually released it. I closed it while I was in the trunk, and hit the fob button. Relay clicked, trunk opened. Tried it again, and had the same effect. Get out of the car, grab my gym bag, close it up, hit the button, and no joy. Relay clicked via all methods, but trunk won't open. Tried again this morning, same situation.

The only thread I could find was that the wiring harness that goes to the trunk on 15-16 models is too short, and the wires can get frayed. Has anyone else had this specific problem, and know which wires to check, and where? I'm out of warranty and do not want a dealer visit for an electrical gremlin.

JR
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If the relay is clicking maybe it's not electrical. Try lubing up the latch mechanical mechanism a bit (maybe it's sticking) and see what happens.

OP
OP
jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
If the relay is clicking maybe it's not electrical. Try lubing up the latch mechanical mechanism a bit (maybe it's sticking) and see what happens.
Well the relay click sounds like it's in the glove box...

I'll try a little white lithium grease this weekend.

As an aside, the trunk didn't misbehave yesterday or this morning. I do have the random right turn signal hyperblink issue, so that's telling me that there's a wire that's fraying/shorting/pulling out.

JR

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
The wiring harness is bad it pulls and breaks the wires over time with opening the trunk lid. The harness that runs under the back shelf and in to the trunk lid. Most people get it first with the camera going flaky but the trunk release is definitely effected in that harness. In the end my trunk would only open from the dash, fob would not do it and the external would not do it. I had a old dog leach hooked up and passed thru the rear seat, just in case.

That harness getting damaged may be your problem.
Sponsored