Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT Trunk latch will not open.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I put split loom over the wiring to my trunk door because mine would get caught in the seal. Ford really f'd up that wiring, IMO. Really quite the amateur hour back there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
That’s exactly what I did but the trunk didn’t budge. Does it take a lot of pressure when turning the tiny key?
I am sorry but I have a nonconvertible. Have you tried using the key with the top down and up? It must be frustrating not being able to use your trunk. Wish I could help.

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Damn, looks like I'll be taking this to the dealer and I'm only a few months out of bumper to bumper warranty.

Anyone go to the dealer for this out of warranty? If so how much did it cost?
I took mine out of warranty to the local Dealer. The local dealer wanted $150.00 Just to look at it. This cost would not be rolled into the cost of the repair. At least that is what the service rep told me. That is when I decided to order the latch. It only cost me $75.00 ordered on line. But as you know that was not the problem. The issue is in the wire-harness. Maybe your dealer will help you out since its just out of warranty. Good luck yo!

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
Went to dealer today and they were backed up for a whole week, but had the tech's take a quick look. Even they couldn't figure out how to get into the trunk with the manual key release not working. They suggested I figure out a way to get a hold of the cable connected to the manual key release and yank it since it seems like there's too much slack in it. Went home and did exactly that.

Few hours later, un-loomed all the freaking wires and found the 1 wire that was cut, but after fixing that and putting everything back together... THE BACK UP CAM DIDN'T WORK! :frusty:

Should of fucking tested it before taping all the wires back.

Even have an appointment for Monday, but not sure if I should have them fix the camera or do it myself. All the other wires looked intact, but I was fed up and could have cut some while cutting open the wire loom
IMG_6452.JPG
IMG_6454.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
WesleyEng - When I unwrapped my wires I took my time and went very slowly as it got tighter. You may have damaged the camera cable. Make sure its fully seated into the plug/socket on the trunk. Other wise you will have to order a replacement wire harness and just install it your self. I bet they will charge you an arm and a leg to have them do it. Did you see how intertwined all those wire are with the taillight hardness? Its a mess. Good pics and vid.

Last edited:

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
So I found where the camera wire was damaged and I added wire to lengthen it, but doing so it would only turn on intermittently. Once I move the decklid around, the camera would go off and on, off mostly. I even inline spliced it instead of pigtailing, but I did use a slightly larger wire. Could that be the issue?

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I found where the camera wire was damaged and I added wire to lengthen it, but doing so it would only turn on intermittently. Once I move the decklid around, the camera would go off and on, off mostly. I even inline spliced it instead of pigtailing, but I did use a slightly larger wire. Could that be the issue?
Possibly since it is a video single it might require a special thickness and quality. I am not sure. I am a computer tech by trade. Dont know much about AV.. You should try a local Audio Video store and see if they can get you the right wire type.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 GT Vert, 2016 GT Vert
I just got my 16 back from having the wiring repaired. My Trunk would open but the camera would wig out intermittently. Luckily I am still under the factory warranty.

OP
OP
USMC 005

USMC 005

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I just got my 16 back from having the wiring repaired. My Trunk would open but the camera would wig out intermittently. Luckily I am still under the factory warranty.
I am glad they got you fixed bro. :)

Sponsored

7thStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Ecoboot Premium
Just brought my 2015 in under extended warrany. Will see if they replace the harness, or just repair it. What blows my mind is that it just hangs in the trunk, so no matter what you put in there is going to hit the harness. I asked if they updated the harness he didn’t know.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
More than likely they will repair the harness. That is what they did on mine. Mine is still wigging out on occasion. I have got to take it back.

7thStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Ecoboot Premium
More than likely they will repair the harness. That is what they did on mine. Mine is still wigging out on occasion. I have got to take it back.
Hi, just got the car back. Correct you are the repaired the harness, and assured me it won’t happen again. I told them yep, if I don’t put anything in the truck that will hit the harness that hangs when you close the trunk lid.

bee bop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is not that things are hittisn the harness it is that the harness flexes when you open and close the trunk lid. That bending is what breaks the wires.

surfpipe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
This is a real problem and it happened to me. I have a 2017 Ecoboost convertible. The trunk starting not opening intermittently, then it completely died. I was able to locate the bad wire and apply the fix of extending it and now the trunk works perfectly. However, the backup camera will act buggy every few days. Does anyone know which wire is the camera wire? I would like to avoid extending all the wires if possible. Thank you!
Sponsored