Sponsored

2015+ Mustang Audio Setup ???'s

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So here's the deal. I'm fairly intelligent and I have SOME knowledge of A/V systems, but I'm not an audiophile, so looking for help from guys that are really into this stuff and speak "geek" when it comes to audio setups.

I'm not trying to win any awards or shows, I just want a little more punch from my puny 2016 base system (GT350).

here's what I'm looking at:

I purchased (already) an Alpine system boost with sub (the one that goes under the glove compartment). It'll add some bass punch and a little power to the OEM head unit.

I'm reading a bunch of stuff with either Forscan tweaks (which I'm not really wanting to do) OR adding a DSP to get rid of Ford's crappy non-powered controls.

Will the Alpine setup (which is supposed to connect right to factory wiring) work with the Rockford Fosgate DSR-1?

I'm looking at the DSR-1 because it's supposed to maintain all the OEM head unit controls and what not. (I've researched and the correct adapter is the HRN-AR-FO3) and I guess you have to download the vehicle specific update to the unit.

I also planned to go high end with hertz components up front but given the lack of power I might just go cheaper up front (Power Bass OE65C-FD 6.5") and then spend a little more on the rear deck mids (Hertz SX 165 Neo coaxials).

Will the DSR-1 work with the Alpine "add on"? Or am I stuck doing some sort of Forscan tweaks?

Again, I don't really want to push this thing more than just give some clarity and extra power so I can actually listen to the stereo over the exhaust when cruising.

Thanks,
Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
You said base system, so you mean just the 6-speaker system, and not the 9 or 12-speaker systems? I just want to clarify. This means that you have the 4” screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You said base system, so you mean just the 6-speaker system, and not the 9 or 12-speaker systems? I just want to clarify.
has 6.5"s in the doors, 3.5" in the doors, tweeters in the pillars and a pair of 6.5's in the rear deck. I've read stuff referencing a center speaker, but I don't think I have one. So that's only 8 speakers. Crutchfield says it has 9 speakers

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
has 6.5"s in the doors, 3.5" in the doors, tweeters in the pillars and a pair of 6.5's in the rear deck. I've read stuff referencing a center speaker, but I don't think I have one. So that's only 8 speakers. Crutchfield says it has 9 speakers
If you have an 8” radio screen, you have a center channel, unless someone disconnected it or removed it.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you have an 8” radio screen, you have a center channel, unless someone disconnected it or removed it.
I have the 4" calculator pad. I just went and looked. I must have the 6 speaker setup.

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Ok, you want to use the iDatalink Maestro dFO2 harness with the DSR1. The dFO2 harness is used for the 4” screen radio and will take care of the factory EQ issues without using Forscan. Use the DSR1’s RCA outputs to feed the Alpine subwoofer amp and Power Pack amp. You’ll be Frankensteining pages 9 and 10 of the Alpine package’s owner’s manual ( http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/PSU-300MTG_IM_FNL.pdf ). If it were me, I’d set up the DSR1 as a 2-way front, coaxial rear, and two subwoofer outputs. This will use all 8 DSR1 outputs and have full EQ, crossover, and time alignment capabilities. You will need an additional 2-channel amp to pull this off. You only have 4 main channels amplified with the Power Pack amplifier (could be woofers and tweeters for the front component set, or rear coaxials and front tweeters). More power to the front woofers could be a good thing, depending on the brand/model of speakers. You could forgo the rear speakers altogether. That would eliminate the need for the extra amplifier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Ok, you want to use the iDatalink Maestro dFO2 harness with the DSR1. The dFO2 harness is used for the 4” screen radio and will take care of the factory EQ issues without using Forscan. Use the DSR1’s RCA outputs to feed the Alpine subwoofer amp and Power Pack amp. You’ll be Frankensteining pages 9 and 10 of the Alpine package’s owner’s manual ( http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/PSU-300MTG_IM_FNL.pdf ). If it were me, I’d set up the DSR1 as a 2-way front, coaxial rear, and two subwoofer outputs. This will use all 8 DSR1 outputs and have full EQ, crossover, and time alignment capabilities. You will need an additional 2-channel amp to pull this off. You only have 4 main channels amplified with the Power Pack amplifier (could be woofers and tweeters for the front component set, or rear coaxials and front tweeters). More power to the front woofers could be a good thing, depending on the brand/model of speakers.
So if I wanted to stay with just the DSR-1 and the alpine and avoid another amp, what would you recommend the setup to be? I'm not set in concrete on the powerbass, just saw another thread of the ease of install.

I had planned on a hertz 24.3 tweeter and a set of SV165.1 components for the doors. But i'd have to track down trim rings and grilles for the door to make them work. If I had better 6.5" up front would you recommend the 4 channels up front and just leave the rears un-powered? Or does the DSR-1 HAVE to have an amp source?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
So if I wanted to stay with just the DSR-1 and the alpine and avoid another amp, what would you recommend the setup to be? I'm not set in concrete on the powerbass, just saw another thread of the ease of install.

I had planned on a hertz 24.3 tweeter and a set of SV165.1 components for the doors. But i'd have to track down trim rings and grilles for the door to make them work. If I had better 6.5" up front would you recommend the 4 channels up front and just leave the rears un-powered? Or does the DSR-1 HAVE to have an amp source?
I edited my reply above while you posted about Using just the Alpine amp.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I edited my reply above while you posted about Using just the Alpine amp.
So if I frankenstein the Alpine install and use the DSR-1 (with the dF02 you referenced), I'll power the 6.5"s in the front and the tweeters. Then the 6.5 coaxials in the back will be unpowered signal?

Is it going to matter much if I go with the cheaper powerbass stuff up front if they're only getting 50w/channel? (Will i notice a difference spending $200+ more in speakers and trim rings and such, if it's only gonna be a small amount of push?)

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP

Look at the Focal IS FORD 165 component set or PS 165 FE component set. The IS set is dead simple: everything fits and you use the stock wiring harness connectors, so it’s truly plug-and-play. The Flax set is better, but you’ll need adapting harnesses and speaker mounts.

Try the system with just the front speakers hooked up first. If it doesn’t satisfy your needs, you can always add rear speakers and a 2-channel amp later.

The DSR1 does not have to use all of its outputs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Look at the Focal IS FORD 165 component set or PS 165 FE component set. The IS set is dead simple: everything fits and you use the stock wiring harness connectors, so it’s truly plug-and-play. The Flax set is better, but you’ll need adapting harnesses and speaker mounts.

Try the system with just the front speakers hooked up first. If it doesn’t satisfy your needs, you can always add rear speakers and a 2-channel amp later.

The DSR1 does not have to use all of its outputs.
Thanks, so I can leave the rear speakers (either OEM or new coaxials) on the OE connection (and not use the DSR-1)?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Thanks, so I can leave the rear speakers (either OEM or new coaxials) on the OE connection (and not use the DSR-1)?
If you use the DSR1, you will lose the rear speakers unless you amplify the assigned rear outputs from the DSR1. The dFO2 harness sends the front and rear stock headunit signals to the DSR1.

OP
OP
Angrey

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you use the DSR1, you will lose the rear speakers unless you amplify the assigned rear outputs from the DSR1. The dFO2 harness sends the front and rear stock headunit signals to the DSR1.
Hmm, If I don't run a DSR-1 or any DSP, then I'm stuck with the OEM garbage settings (without a Forscan tweak)?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hmm, If I don't run a DSR-1 or any DSP, then I'm stuck with the OEM garbage settings (without a Forscan tweak)?
Yes.

And yes, if you use the DSR1 you need to add an amplifier stage to any speaker you want to run off the DSR1.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Forscan! Much simpler solution and makes the alpine unit rock!
Sponsored