Sponsored

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I finally got my track pack transmission today! YES!!

I don't know whether this means that quite a few transmissions will be shipping now or not. Ford Performance told me I was near the front of the line.
Sponsored

choice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 67 Coupe
I got my new transmission yesterday, but didn't get the cooler parts. Bummed.

- Bill

Jmk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350
In case anyone wants the parts list difference between the two flavors of transmissions, here it is. This is the list of parts from Tremec that is needed to make the non-pump transmission into the pumped transmission.
picture.png

I was bored.
Just to clarify. Is This the list of parts to convert tech/base trans to the track pack which would add internal pump????

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
So what's the consensus? If you want to keep your warranty are you forced to have a dealership do the work?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So what's the consensus? If you want to keep your warranty are you forced to have a dealership do the work?
There's no opportunity to keep your warranty no matter who does the work.

I wanted to post a few things - hopefully to help others who might try to do this themselves.

One - the connectors on the exhaust switches have red tabs on the top. Those tabs need to be pushed toward the back of the car in order to disconnect the fasteners. I had a mirror but still couldn't see the tabs well enough to tell what needed to be done. Here are some photos. First one is the red tab in locked position.

connector%201.jpg

This one shows the tab unlocked.
connector%202.jpg

Just a photo of the box.
transmission.jpg

My other bit of advice is to heat the nuts on the catalytic converter pipe. Mine weren't going to come off, but after breaking out the MAP gas they loosened up very easily.

Hope it's helpful.

BJairframe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
Just to clarify. Is This the list of parts to convert tech/base trans to the track pack which would add internal pump????

Yes sir, it is. I haven't ripped mine apart yet but there is obviously some minor machining/ tapping of holes to be done.

Reactions: Jmk

ir0nxchefx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 DiB, NB Focus RS
I am on the wait list, hoping within the next couple of months i will be up and running....cant wait

Sponsored

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
MOTORCRAFT® MERCON®LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
Product Typicals
Specification MERCON®LV
MERCON®LV license number MLV070701
Specific Gravity
@ 60°F (15.6°C) 0.842
Density, lb/gal 7.01
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F) 216 (421)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C 6.0
cSt @ 40°C 29.6
cP @ -40°C 10,200
Viscosity Index 155
Pour Point, °C (°F) <-48 (<-54)

40 Celsius is 104 degrees, 100 is 212, My car frequently sits at 260 degrees, which is 126 C. Limp kicks in at 137. The fluid is extremely thin at those temperatures.
The Mercon name is deceptive since ATF is about 7W - to about 5W in viscosity when hot. Failures happen because when trans overheat they can go to 3W and even 0W loosing lubricity and the ability to wick away heat from surface tension. I see Amsoil Signature series ATF and Readline D6 ATF is able to offer LV spec and I have seen Dextron-Mercon specs in 10-20-30W. The Amsoil is 15W from what I have read however there are different spec charts to show viscosity ( motor oil vs gear oil).

The LV stands for low viscosity...

quote" This uni-viscosity full synthetic fluid is a universal Automatic Transmission Fluid that combines the benefits of a low and high viscosity formula."

Mercon LV is not fully synthetic according to the MSDS (http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...us179895us.pdf) as petroleum distillates are indicated in heavy and light grades. It a synthetic blend though since the range is open enough to provide for non-mineral stocks too. According to ford "Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives".

Per the information above viscosity at 100c is 6.0 thats equal to between a 75W and 80W viscosity gear oil according to J306 Viscosity Classification for Automotive Gear Oils. If you were using the motor oil chart it would be equal to 15W motor oil in viscosity. 80W gear would stop providing protection when outside air temp reaches 100F and 75W at 60F. I don't see how this is adequate without an oil cooler. Spirited driving would drive the temps up and lead to oil digression combined with the gears sheering the oil would lead to trans failure like I experienced in a hot climate like Dallas. Last summer we saw 114deg combined with open highways I am uncertain that the trans is not being harmed. I suspect Ford is gathering data for a business case as miles and warranty claim begin to to fill in delta's. The Mercon LV has a service life of 150K miles per spec if trans fail and oil analysis shows early degradation thats could be a class action problem against the motorcraft oil itself (Ford's lubricants seem to be supplied by Conoco-Philips) and Ford for specifying this in pretty much all the newer trans. Other cars probably don't hit the same temps but it could be a publicity nightmare like Firestone tires exploding..

At 137c in limp home mode the viscosity would be 3.3 which is about a 65W gear oil
At 126c your typical temp the viscosity would be 3.8 which is just under a 70W gear oil
Screen Shot 2017-03-19 at 3.23.16 AM.png

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
I also question "filled for life" it may be the case for "most" fomoco's autos, but the torqueshift (powerstroke)transmission also uses mercon lv and has a 30,000mi. change interval. The Focus is 60K miles yet the Shelby supplimental manual specifies a change interval on page 52 of quote" Every 150,000 mi (240,000 km) which is only the oil spec and not specific to the application although being a Shelby "supplemental" manual.

So if read at face value a Ford focus non-high performance application would get a trans fluid change at 60K miles and a heavy duty application like a Super duty truck would get an svc at 30K miles. While our hi-perf car can go for the life of the fluid rating of 150K miles?

On page 53 the manual gives the svc exceptions which you would think would be hi-performance driving but nope says quote "Operating in dusty or sandy conditions (such as unpaved or dusty roads)" and gives a 50K service interval for the transmission.

So the question I pose is after warranty runs out how many of us are prematurely wearing out the transmission due to the maintenance advise offered in our owners manual? And what would be the proper way to safeguard and extend the life of our transmissions? Follow the super duty change interval of 30K against the owners manual advice?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I also question "filled for life" it may be the case for "most" fomoco's autos, but the torqueshift (powerstroke)transmission also uses mercon lv and has a 30,000mi. change interval. The Focus is 60K miles yet the Shelby supplimental manual specifies a change interval on page 52 of quote" Every 150,000 mi (240,000 km) which is only the oil spec and not specific to the application although being a Shelby "supplemental" manual.

So if read at face value a Ford focus non-high performance application would get a trans fluid change at 60K miles and a heavy duty application like a Super duty truck would get an svc at 30K miles. While our hi-perf car can go for the life of the fluid rating of 150K miles?

On page 53 the manual gives the svc exceptions which you would think would be hi-performance driving but nope says quote "Operating in dusty or sandy conditions (such as unpaved or dusty roads)" and gives a 50K service interval for the transmission.

So the question I pose is after warranty runs out how many of us are prematurely wearing out the transmission due to the maintenance advise offered in our owners manual? And what would be the proper way to safeguard and extend the life of our transmissions? Follow the super duty change interval of 30K against the owners manual advice?
I changed the transmission fluid after my one track day. I hit limp mode 6 times while at the track. My opinion is that if you have an unmodified tech/base car and you hit the limp mode a few times you should change the fluid. If I owned a track/R model I would change the transmission fluid after every 3 or 4 track outings, or once a year if going to the track, whichever comes first. That's what I plan to do once I get the cooler and new transmission installed.

I will be changing the fluid in the rear diff on a similar schedule.

Are you sure there's nothing in the manual about changing fluids more frequently if you go to the track?

Diana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT 350
More things that make me want to throw up over!
Ford engineering was totally asleep when the figured they could get away with producing this car at 3k less than the 17, without serious complications cause of the heat! And all of its ramifications.

kartguy898

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 / 2016 F150 FX4
Page 46 of the supplemental manual:

"Additionally, perform multi-point
inspection and the maintenance outlined
in the 150000 mile (240000 kilometer)
normal maintenance schedule of the
scheduled maintenance before and after
track use."

So that would be transmission and differential fluids, and replacing the drive belts.
Sponsored