Sponsored

2012 Boss 302 vs 2015 GT w/PP

DiZzyBonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
Given that the two have essentially the same engine (save for the built bottom end of the Boss,) but the '15 has the IRS, if both were modified to have an equally comparable suspension/tires and power, will the '15 GT run circles around the '12 Boss 302 on the track, mainly because of the stiffer suspension and the added IRS? Or, will it be a driver's race, with the '15 GT having a slight advantage?

I don't know how to feel. I'm about to buy a 2012 Boss 302 w/Recaro Seats with 13,000 babied miles, but for the same price, I can get a base (cloth) '15 GT w/PP and Recaro Seats.

Why should I get one over the other? It's going to be my DD, and as for the lack of creature comforts in the Boss, I can always add an aftermarket bluetooth radio, and upgrade the speakers for cheap. So that's not a concern with me.
Sponsored

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i
Do you track your cars? I think ultimately it will come down to which driver can get the most out of the car. I wouldn't worry too much about the performance on paper... get the car you like to drive the most.

Pakman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
For a daily driver? I'd probably go with the 2015. Everyone's said it's a far more comfortable ride than prior cars. If you were going to pick up a car that you planned to baby and keep for a long time - I'd consider the Boss. Boss will hold it's value far better in the long run.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
With the Boss I think you are paying mostly for the awesome engine and the exclusivity. I think the balance may be a tad better, but the suspension architecture is certainly dated.

I think the GT will perform better, and has more room to grow. The bones are there, but you may find that the suspension is softer than you'd prefer, and that the exhaust may be too tame.

It's a tough choice. I'd get the 2015, put in some shocks and a cat-back exhaust and probably be extremely happy. Would still miss the Boss engine though.

-T

Sponsored

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
For the same money and that low of mileage I'd buy the Boss.

FATTBoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302
Are you a track rat or just a few weekends a year? Will you drive it daily? If you are a track rat, and don't intend to drive every day, buy a Boss. It might be better value wise in the long run. You can add the larger brakes to the Boss for under $2,000, and little else need be done.

The Boss is fun, and can certainly be used daily, but the GT might be a more livable option. I drove my Boss the other day and love the raw feel of the car, but I don't drive it daily anymore so that I can enjoy the car over many years to come. Until we see a lap time for the new car on the same course the Boss was tested, it remains to be seen if it truly is quicker around a road course.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Given that the two have essentially the same engine (save for the built bottom end of the Boss,) but the '15 has the IRS, if both were modified to have an equally comparable suspension/tires and power, will the '15 GT run circles around the '12 Boss 302 on the track, mainly because of the stiffer suspension and the added IRS? Or, will it be a driver's race, with the '15 GT having a slight advantage?

I don't know how to feel. I'm about to buy a 2012 Boss 302 w/Recaro Seats with 13,000 babied miles, but for the same price, I can get a base (cloth) '15 GT w/PP and Recaro Seats.

Why should I get one over the other? It's going to be my DD, and as for the lack of creature comforts in the Boss, I can always add an aftermarket bluetooth radio, and upgrade the speakers for cheap. So that's not a concern with me.
It's going to be a daily driver? 2015!!! Without a question

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Tough choice.

If it was a loaded '15 with a few tasty mods, tougher still.

The Boss has a special place in my heart and I've been lucky enough to have a brief drive of a friend's GHIG '13 example.

I'd need to drive both, but I suspect the '15 will be more daily driver friendly.

But the Boss is a legend already.

Did I say tough choice, lol :)

jswenk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the 2015 GT with the performance package and it is awesome. I raced mustangs for years on road courses and this is the best one yet. Here is a link to a video talking about it and they say it is faster than the Boss. [ame]

Sponsored

Jafo5150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 SBY

DiZzyBonne- This is the exact dilemma I'm in as well. I actually ordered a '15 GT PP and I'm waiting for it to get built. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts because I'm thinking more and more about a '13 Boss. I don't mean to theadjack, but since we are looking for the same answers I figured it would be best to tag along in this thread instead of starting a new one. I hope you don't mind.

My thoughts are this: I love the look of the new Mustang and it felt great on the test drive. The new 15's are still so rare around here I've yet to spot one driving around. However, in the end it will just be another Mustang on the road and like any previous year Mustang, they are a dime a dozen along with Camaro's. I'm afraid in a year or two this will be the case with this new style and it will get lost in the ocean of cars around LA.

IMHO, the Boss is still that rare unicorn and spotting one in the wild quickens my heartbeat every time I see one. To me, it is a legendary car and owning one is like being able to own a piece of automotive history that not many people get a chance to do. I know it doesn't have the upgraded interior and it's the live axle out back, but none of that bothers me. I love mustangs and I want one that makes me smile every time I drive it. One that will make me take the long way home because driving it is way better than seeing it sitting still in the garage.

So my questions are these:

- Are there any current or former S197 Boss owners that either own or have extensively driven the new S550 GT?

- How do the two models stack up to each other?

- What don't you like about the Boss that you do on the new S550 or vice versa?

BTW, whichever Mustang I buy will be a DD for me with the occasional canyon carving/road course duty, but would not be something that sits in the garage for any long period of time. And since I'm nowhere near the level of most of the experienced reviewers in the videos on the web, finishing a lap 1-2 secs quicker doesn't help me. I'm looking for real world driving experiences/evaluations from normal people. Thanks!

Ahren

Threads
Reaction score
I had a 2011 GT premium automatic and wanted a stick. I sold the auto and just drove my tacoma as DD. I waited until the 2015s came out but was expecting it to be more track focused with the PP. So I purchased a 2012 Boss 302 with recaros, track key, torsen limited slip, 8000 miles, one previous owner, for less than a 2015 premium PP would of cost. I love the look of the 2010-2012 mustangs and love the Coyote and especially the Roadrunner. The creature comforts would of been nice but this is a weekend car.

Driving the boss is much more raw and exhilarating than the 2011 GT. Steering is tight with good feel. Seats are much more comfortable. I think I made the right choice for me.

Get the 2015 if the improved interior is important but if handling is your thing go with the Boss.

jswenk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Does the Boss have IRS?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)