AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Greets all, Today was 70 here in SNJ, so I decided for my own sanity I was going to test fit the spare to the front of the car since the brakes are the main issue, and even though I know @Tomster did test it on a CFTP (Thanks bud), I wanted to be sure for my own car. I figured the front was more than enough as the back doesnt have the brake clearance issue, so I also measured out literally the clearance which @Epiphany was curious about. So here are the pictures:

Fits fine with spacer

2022-02-17 15.15.54.jpg

Space between Caliper and Spare is approx: 2-3mm

2022-02-17 15.15.47.jpg

Space between Caliper & Rim spoke is approx: a little more than 1/4th Inch at the closest point

2022-02-17 15.17.04.jpg
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Barrel clearance is tight!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I dont remember it being that tight. But ill be damned if I'm going to go through that again just to prove a point. Next time I have to take a front off, ill have another look.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I dont remember it being that tight. But ill be damned if I'm going to go through that again just to prove a point. Next time I have to take a front off, ill have another look.
This is Toms pic:

20220210_111511-jpg.jpg

Doesnt look that much different than mine, I just measured the gap and best estimates are 2-3mm which is the equivalent of 1-2 credit cards stacked together.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is Toms pic:

20220210_111511-jpg.jpg

Doesnt look that much different than mine, I just measured the gap and best estimates are 2-3mm which is the equivalent of 1-2 credit cards stacked together.
But the part you are leaving out is that the whole caliper clearance isn't that bad. The wheel has a beveled edge and only a small portion has that small of a clearance, just like the CF 500 wheel. When pics first emerged of the caliper clearance to the CF wheel, I was horrified. The wheel edge is tight.... better than a 6 GR wheel, but the rest of the caliper clearance is decent.

And another thing..... The whole caliper clearance/rocks getting lodged thing is mostly a product of very sticky tires throwing rocks around all over the place with some being the caliper culprits. This spare tire is just a joe blow tire that couldn't stick to anything. They are designed to get you out of a deep dark ugly place to where you can put the pieces back together.

Who gives a rats ass about caliper clearance at that point?

Sponsored

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
But the part you are leaving out is that the whole caliper clearance isn't that bad. The wheel has a beveled edge and only a small portion has that small of a clearance, just like the CF 500 wheel. When pics first emerged of the caliper clearance to the CF wheel, I was horrified. The wheel edge is tight.... better than a 6 GR wheel, but the rest of the caliper clearance is decent.

And another thing..... The whole caliper clearance/rocks getting lodged thing is mostly a product of very sticky tires throwing rocks around all over the place with some being the caliper culprits. This spare tire is just a joe blow tire that couldn't stick to anything. They are designed to get you out of a deep dark ugly place to where you can put the pieces back together.

Who gives a rats ass about caliper clearance at that point?
Oh I agree, the tire is a joe tire, my concern more so also the vibration during driving, remember roads aren't perfect and smooth so the concern is the banging into the caliper and causing an issue. Its just such a tight clearance it makes me cringe.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Oh I agree, the tire is a joe tire, my concern more so also the vibration during driving, remember roads aren't perfect and smooth so the concern is the banging into the caliper and causing an issue. Its just such a tight clearance it makes me cringe.
LOL, you want to talk about tight clearances, the 6G wheels were the king. The width of a credit card and people daily drove them with sticky tires.

Folks, this is a spare to get you out of a tight spot. Damn it, now I have to go out and mount the spare and document everything. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I'll go out there and go over it all again.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The hub and brake caliper are attached to the same spindle, you’d have to dent the rim to get it to contact the caliper.

Melmark93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mel
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Kona/White stripes, 93 MarkVIII Vortech, 94 Mark VIII, 13 MKS Ecoboost
My spare arrived yesterday & I fit checked it, front & rear today. Results were the same as Tom & Mike's. As Tom points out, the front caliper tight fit is only at the edge. One thing that I noticed in the first photos was what looked like a lot of offset out of the rear wheel well. It's not as much as it looked, less than 5mm more than the stock tire. The front is inset by about the same amount. I got the complete kit and the lug wrench has a double length handle to break loose those 150 ft/lb nuts. Everything is very well done and to paraphrase Tom, a great thing to have to get out of a crap-hole situation.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
My spare arrived yesterday & I fit checked it, front & rear today. Results were the same as Tom & Mike's. As Tom points out, the front caliper tight fit is only at the edge. One thing that I noticed in the first photos was what looked like a lot of offset out of the rear wheel well. It's not as much as it looked, less than 5mm more than the stock tire. The front is inset by about the same amount. I got the complete kit and the lug wrench has a double length handle to break loose those 150 ft/lb nuts. Everything is very well done and to paraphrase Tom, a great thing to have to get out of a crap-hole situation.
I think with this confirmation we can put to rest the fitment, and just be happy with finally have a spare for true use for those hairy situations.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thank you and thank God I dont have to take time from the couple of days off to swap a tire for a spare. Anyone who needs a spare, this is the real deal. I drove on it and it was like there was a normal wheel on the car.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I think with this confirmation we can put to rest the fitment, and just be happy with finally have a spare for true use for those hairy situations.
And you.... did you fail reading comprehension? I was very clear about the fitment. Tight on the outer portion and fine on the inner. I guess I compared it to a cf wheel and most wouldn't know, but that is how a cf wheel is to the caliper on the 500.

I do appreciate you setting me up with this spare. For that I owe you.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
And you.... did you fail reading comprehension? I was very clear about the fitment. Tight on the outer portion and fine on the inner. I guess I compared it to a cf wheel and most wouldn't know, but that is how a cf wheel is to the caliper on the 500.

I do appreciate you setting me up with this spare. For that I owe you.
Hey Tommy Boy, I didnt fail reading comprehension, My guess is your old age missed the portion that I said I wanted confirmation on spacing. 🤪 So I took it on myself you P.I.T.A to measure it. :D

No problem buddy, glad to help and at least we have peace of mind, you owe me nothing Bud.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Hey Tommy Boy, I didnt fail reading comprehension, My guess is your old age missed the portion that I said I wanted confirmation on spacing. 🤪 So I took it on myself you P.I.T.A to measure it. :D

No problem buddy, glad to help and at least we have peace of mind, you owe me nothing Bud.
I love ya like a brother, but go f yourself, lol. Again, I thank you for the info on the spare. You are the best.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet, now I can fill out that wide body rear quarter :rockon:

Thanks Mike an Tom for all your fact checking and such. I am happy to have one of these. All, I want is to get me back to my own garage home, and to avoid a tow if possible and this is the ticket.
Sponsored