1st Autocross!

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
Well, I went to my first event this weekend. If you're thinking about it and haven't committed, just go ahead and take the plunge! I had a blast, met some new people and had a great time in my car. I arrived about 45 minutes before anyone i knew, so while I was alone, trying to figure out where to go and what to do, several people introduced themselves and made sure I was taken care of. It was a very welcoming environment. No one cared who you were or what you drove, just that you had the same interest in cars they did.

I've never driven competitively, but have spent a little time in carts, a few touring laps around Road Atlanta, an "autocross" run in a Ferrari 430 (is you saw the course there compared to the video I'm posting here, you would understand the quotes), and hours upon hours of sim racing. I still have a lot to learn, and my main focus was staying on course rather than finding the best lines, so I know there's tons of time left on the table, but, like I said, it was FUN!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's what it's all about! Glad you enjoyed it. There was obvious speed improvement as you did your runs and being clean is the best policy. Next time you'll go faster right away and can really focus on exploring the limits. When's the next one?

FYI pour one out for your extra spending money, because it's gone, going to this now. :cwl:

OP
OP
jgruben1134

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
That's what it's all about! Glad you enjoyed it. There was obvious speed improvement as you did your runs and being clean is the best policy. Next time you'll go faster right away and can really focus on exploring the limits. When's the next one?

FYI pour one out for your extra spending money, because it's gone, going to this now. :cwl:
10/6, but I'm not sure if I can make that one. Pretty booked that weekend. Hopefully I can fit it in, and then the last of the season is in November. 2020 season starts in February :)

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
You might have inspired me to get out to the autocross again! Hahaha.
Nice job, man. I'm glad you had a blast out there!

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I highly recommend getting out there. You just don’t know what these cars can do until you push them. I’m only at about 75% after two events. The car stops great. I need to brake later. I need to carry more speed through the turns. My on board G meter showed 1.1G braking, 0.82G accelerating, and 0.98G turning.
Cheers
FBB17A9F-F2D2-4AD5-9C07-833AB19721F1.jpeg
E99DDD9C-5AA6-4E15-AF7E-E9252A8879DB.png

Sponsored

OP
OP
jgruben1134

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I highly recommend getting out there. You just don’t know what these cars can do until you push them. I’m only at about 75% after two events. The car stops great. I need to brake later. I need to carry more speed through the turns. My on board G meter showed 1.1G braking, 0.82G accelerating, and 0.98G turning.
Cheers
FBB17A9F-F2D2-4AD5-9C07-833AB19721F1.jpeg
E99DDD9C-5AA6-4E15-AF7E-E9252A8879DB.png
Nice. I got .94G brake, .69G accel, and 1.04/1.05G cornering L/R. Got the Sport Cup 2's warm enough to pick rubber up from the track...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice. I got .94G brake, .69G accel, and 1.04/1.05G cornering L/R. Got the Sport Cup 2's warm enough to pick rubber up from the track...
Goals to shoot for: 1.50g brake, 1.50, 1.35 cornering, 1.01 accel. :). I think it maxes out at 1.50.

Thub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 6 speed
Goals to shoot for: 1.50g brake, 1.50, 1.35 cornering, 1.01 accel. :). I think it maxes out at 1.50.
Is there a setup that will accomplish that without just going out and doing donuts?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a setup that will accomplish that without just going out and doing donuts?
That's all on-course accels. 275/35R19 RE71Rs all around and the setup in my signature.

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you had fun. I was on Team Solo in Atlanta for years. Did you run as a Novice? Wondering who your instructor was if you did. I moved on to help start up AutoX ATL but we called it quits last year. So now I run with the BMW Club. It's open to all, but there are FAR less drivers. So we get 6-8 runs and are headed home before 3 most times. Costs are the same, actually cheaper if you signup as an early bird the first week they open reg. $35 for 8 runs is about as good as it gets in auto-xing. Now that it's cooler out, I'll be getting back out there. I'm kind of over the ATL summers and 10 hours on asphalt.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jgruben1134

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Glad you had fun. I was on Team Solo in Atlanta for years. Did you run as a Novice? Wondering who your instructor was if you did. I moved on to help start up AutoX ATL but we called it quits last year. So now I run with the BMW Club. It's open to all, but there are FAR less drivers. So we get 6-8 runs and are headed home before 3 most times. Costs are the same, actually cheaper if you signup as an early bird the first week they open reg. $35 for 8 runs is about as good as it gets in auto-xing. Now that it's cooler out, I'll be getting back out there. I'm kind of over the ATL summers and 10 hours on asphalt.
I did run in Novice, but there was so much going on I don't have a clue what my instructor's name is. He rode with me for the first 2 runs. 1st was mandatory, and since I blew the first slalom and DNF, he had to stay on for the second. Nice guy, though, gave me a few pointers as we went, but wasn't dictating what to do.

I was out there for about 7 hours I guess, but it could have been less if not for the Novice meetings. I heard this year's format is new, and it seems pretty good. They have a morning and afternoon session so you at least have an idea of when you need to be there. I'll either run Rookie or B-street next time, depending on what time I want to get out there, or if I want to make a full day of it, I supposed I could run both.

Where does the BMW club run?

thasuperdude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Same lot at AMS.

That actually kind of disappoints me a little. Just sitting next to you and making sure you don't hit people is NOT instructing. They should be more involved with what's going on during a run and sit with you for a min after to go over what the hell just happened. You only have 50 sec to absorb it all in, and you're just trying to read the damn cones at speed. The first thing everyone needs to learn in auto-xing is listening to your tires. They're talking you, letting you know you're too hot and when you need less steering inputs, not more. If they're singing, that's a happy sound, but any staccato sounds from the front is bad. Usually the car's too hot entering, pushing more than you expected, so you add more steering. And that's the wrong thing to do. Open the wheel, use more tread and less sidewall to show the car, then add back the steering.

Watching the video, you can see your progression reading the course. The 5th run, you even started to set up the car to backside the 2nd and 3rd elements in a row. Specifically the section coming off the darker asphalt entering the back section. Seat time is your friend in this sport, so getting ride-a-longs with folks that are faster than you WILL teach you a shit ton.

Hopefully Deech did your course walk. He makes it entertaining. I'll let you know when they open reg for the next BMW event, if anything come out and get some rides.
Sponsored