Sponsored

'16 Camaro Reviews are starting to hit the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
One of the very first discrepancies are, what seems to be base 1SS's. MT has one at 3672lbs and R$T have theirs at 3726lbs. I still need to confirm that the R&T car is a 1SS... 60lbs is a little too much variation in base model. If it's 3685, it should be 3665-3705...

Motor Trend has an extremely light SS... but they also had the lightest ATS-V too. I don't expect the SS to handle better than the V so, until it offers grown-up equipment, the GT doesn't really need to vastly improve in this area.

By April, the SS will likely have an ATS-V-like curb weight AND, it won't be any quicker. What I'm interested in seeing is how they do with a little heat :lol: I anticipate some LT1 issues in the Spring.
Sponsored

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
One of the very first discrepancies are, what seems to be base 1SS's. MT has one at 3672lbs and R$T have theirs at 3726lbs. I still need to confirm that the R&T car is a 1SS... 60lbs is a little too much variation in base model. If it's 3685, it should be 3665-3705...

Motor Trend has an extremely light SS... but they also had the lightest ATS-V too. I don't expect the SS to handle better than the V so, until it offers grown-up equipment, the GT doesn't really need to vastly improve in this area.

By April, the SS will likely have an ATS-V-like curb weight AND, it won't be any quicker. What I'm interested in seeing is how they do with a little heat :lol: I anticipate some LT1 issues in the Spring.

If it does it will be before then. They will be on the lots way before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
If it does it will be before then. They will be on the lots way before that.

They will follow suit...

The ATS-V was a go around April 2015 and the initial drives were done then. This would be our current situation with the Camaro now in October.

The ATS-V was shipped July-ish and it went through another series of instrument testing. The Camaro will do this as well... I imagine they will use the Winter months to restock rental/fleet and bolster the numbers until Spring. At this time people began to notice the curb weight increases, small... the V went up to 3770-3800. Some said crash test was the culprit BUT, I will have you know, those same people also said the V was 3700lbs PERIOD.

Then, come September, the H2H's came out, this should put the Camaro's H2H's around March... If the GT has improvements, don't expect a H2H until the next Camaro comes out. By this time, the ATS-V had grown from 3700 to 3809lb (3805-3850).

...and, as many here witnessed, it was the bending and twisting of arms that made Caddy come clean. They had no intentions on changing it unless some media got involved (AKA the bad media).

This time, I won't need to go through the trouble. Everything is ready to go... I just need to lay and wait ;)

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
They will follow suit...

The ATS-V was a go around April 2015 and the initial drives were done then. This would be our current situation with the Camaro now in October.

The ATS-V was shipped July-ish and it went through another series of instrument testing. The Camaro will do this as well... I imagine they will use the Winter months to restock rental/fleet and bolster the numbers until Spring. At this time people began to notice the curb weight increases, small... the V went up to 3770-3800. Some said crash test was the culprit BUT, I will have you know, those same people also said the V was 3700lbs PERIOD.

Then, come September, the H2H's came out, this should put the Camaro's H2H's around March... If the GT has improvements, don't expect a H2H until the next Camaro comes out. By this time, the ATS-V had grown from 3700 to 3809lb (3805-3850).

...and, as many here witnessed, it was the bending and twisting of arms that made Caddy come clean. They had no intentions on changing it unless some media got involved (AKA the bad media).

This time, I won't need to go through the trouble. Everything is ready to go... I just need to lay and wait ;)

The question is once they are in owners hands before these things happen, ( as next month they will be out on the lot) would the initial batch be a lower weight than the next. Is that what you are saying?

Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
I am not taking anything away from the new F150. Its a great truck. But in order to really understand how good the GM twins are, you should go rent one. they are great. I would never buy one, but in their own way, they are awesome.
When they are the best selling truck in the land. I'll consider how "good" they are. :headbang:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The question is once they are in owners hands before these things happen, ( as next month they will be out on the lot) would the initial batch be a lower weight than the next. Is that what you are saying?

The ATS-V has always been a 3800lbs car, even when they weighed them in April through September and reported that they were 3730-3762lbs. The only thing that will change is the media's reporting.

All they need to do is convince people initially, which they have done and also did with the ATS-V. This isn't a typo or an estimation. This is intended to be 100% misleading and the reason is to stop the Mustang from selling so well.

Have you ever truly considered what you are asking Chevy to do? The Camaro is larger in every direction and has heavier equipment with the exception of front brakes and stereo. The Camaro wheels and coolers eat that back up. Maybe IF the ATS-V was really 3700lbs then I could see a Camaro finding enough for a 15lbs difference... but 110-140lbs now????

We know better than that..

Did GM tune this thing up again like the ATS-V? It ran a 12.1@122mph brother... that is moving AND, also quite impossible. It wasn't a typo, all the acceleration data confirmed...

Nobody released the weights I was given but, to be honest, they never talked about the ATS-V's weighs either. They can tell you 3803lbs in an email but end up using what the manufacturer tells them instead. I get it... advertisements...

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
The ATS-V has always been a 3800lbs car, even when they weighed them in April through September and reported that they were 3730-3762lbs. The only thing that will change is the media's reporting.

All they need to do is convince people initially, which they have done and also did with the ATS-V. This isn't a typo or an estimation. This is intended to be 100% misleading and the reason is to stop the Mustang from selling so well.

Have you ever truly considered what you are asking Chevy to do? The Camaro is larger in every direction and has heavier equipment with the exception of front brakes and stereo. The Camaro wheels and coolers eat that back up. Maybe IF the ATS-V was really 3700lbs then I could see a Camaro finding enough for a 15lbs difference... but 110-140lbs now????

We know better than that..

Did GM tune this thing up again like the ATS-V? It ran a 12.1@122mph brother... that is moving AND, also quite impossible. It wasn't a typo, all the acceleration data confirmed...

Nobody released the weights I was given but, to be honest, they never talked about the ATS-V's weighs either. They can tell you 3803lbs in an email but end up using what the manufacturer tells them instead. I get it... advertisements...

Did the ats go through the same weight savings that the camaro did? Shaving bolts, drilling holes, aluminum dash, etc?

I'm just asking as that hasn't been mentioned.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Did the ats go through the same weight savings that the camaro did? Shaving bolts, drilling holes, aluminum dash, etc?

I'm just asking as that hasn't been mentioned.

Don't let Chevy fool you... The CTS/Camaro have very little differences and again, Chevy has you convinced the Camaro is an ATS...

The Alpha is a Global Platform, basically copy and pasted in respects to the CTS/Camaro. The ATS is a stand-alone Alpha and seems to have its own specific design.

Think about that question...

You are asking if Caddy shaved the bolts, cut off extra threads and drilled holes in the structure... yes, that is called "The Gram Strategy" and has been implemented on nearly every car made today.

Do you have hopes that shaving bolts will offset the 1.5 inches of extra steel in the wheelbase? The Camaro is 3 inches wider with a 2-3 inch wider track. How many square inches of multilayered steel is in 1.5x3?

Another thing, Chevy is trying to make it look like they are going in and hand fabricating some parts on the structure... each structure that is... Nor are they shaving bolts and cutting extra thread off. Maybe their pre-production test cars had this done to them... they won't have time for that and it's an area that can go wrong very quickly.

At this point, they could tell you anything and a majority of you would believe it and spread it around. Chevy does not drill holes in the structure by hand or machine, there are simply excessive alignment holes on the structure... which is the opposite of rigid.

Sponsored

Hockeytown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sierra
Hey guys, new member here from MI. Been lurking here (and other sites) for awhile.

As far as the reviews are concerned, aesthetics/weight aside, this car performs. But I think people need to take mag reviews as data points and not get so worked up about them. They are opinions coupled with unscientific tests.

Having said that, I enjoy reading some of these posts, even when half of them are based on flawed logic/misinformation.

Hockeytown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sierra
Don't let Chevy fool you... The CTS/Camaro have very little differences and again, Chevy has you convinced the Camaro is an ATS...

The Alpha is a Global Platform, basically copy and pasted in respects to the CTS/Camaro. The ATS is a stand-alone Alpha and seems to have its own specific design.

Think about that question...

You are asking if Caddy shaved the bolts, cut off extra threads and drilled holes in the structure... yes, that is called "The Gram Strategy" and has been implemented on nearly every car made today.

Do you have hopes that shaving bolts will offset the 1.5 inches of extra steel in the wheelbase? The Camaro is 3 inches wider with a 2-3 inch wider track. How many square inches of multilayered steel is in 1.5x3?

Another thing, Chevy is trying to make it look like they are going in and hand fabricating some parts on the structure... each structure that is... Nor are they shaving bolts and cutting extra thread off. Maybe their pre-production test cars had this done to them... they won't have time for that and it's an area that can go wrong very quickly.

At this point, they could tell you anything and a majority of you would believe it and spread it around. Chevy does not drill holes in the structure by hand or machine, there are simply excessive alignment holes on the structure... which is the opposite of rigid.
Do you work for a GM supplier or something? Just wondering how you would know if those are lightening holes or alignment holes...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Hey guys, new member here from MI. Been lurking here (and other sites) for awhile.

As far as the reviews are concerned, aesthetics/weight aside, this car performs. But I think people need to take mag reviews as data points and not get so worked up about them. They are opinions coupled with unscientific tests.

Having said that, I enjoy reading some of these posts, even when half of them are based on flawed logic/misinformation.
Hey Hockeytown!!! Welcome to M6G!!! Although you are a new member here, you bring up a valid point right off the bat.

Give me a minute sir... and since you took the time to register and post here, I would just like to congratulate you on your keen eye...

Standby for next post and again, thank you for your information...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
As Hockeytown pointed out, you can't trust the media. Many of you fall for this time and time again so... here we go...

The target here is Motor Trend and Chevy.

Here is a picture of MT's Yellow base 1SS that weighed 3672lbs...

I will give everyone a minute to read...

Now, we swing over to Road and Track, the 2nd fastest car initially tested... it weighed 3726lbs...

R&T have zero ties to MT, completely different publisher. Car and Driver is R&T's sister publication...

Hmmmm.... look closely....

Well... not too close....

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
thePill's ability to hammer a liar and a cheat is unmatched on the World Wide Web...

Hockeytown, just playin' around some... welcome to 6G :lol:

Many of these guys were ready to bleed for Motor Trend... they would have bled to death :lol:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.