Sponsored

'16 Camaro Reviews are starting to hit the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
So Ford has never won a comparison against Chevy? The magazine conspiracy is ridiculous haha.
Actually it is. They chose the Colorado over the new f150 due to the f150 being to new and unknowns. At the same time they had the eco diesal dodge that was brand new. So yea.
Sponsored

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
So now HP per liter wins race's? Compare bolt on vs bolt on. Break down the price and power.
Apparently gm just can't build an engine. I mean it takes them 6.2 to make 15 more then the 5.0. Just sayin. Still haven't built an engine more powerful then the gt500. Ls/lt my ass.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Actually it is. They chose the Colorado over the new f150 due to the f150 being to new and unknowns. At the same time they had the eco diesal dodge that was brand new. So yea.
Again, if you haven't drove the new Colorado/Canyon, you need to. It is a great truck. Not that the new aluminum F150 and Ecodiesel isn't. What about when the 2005 Mustang won a comparison test against the GTO. The GTO clearly won, but they gave it the Mustang. Do the magazines sometimes pick winners that are odd? Yes. But to say that GM is in their pocket, therefor any findings by them are tainted.

re-rx7

Ruck the night away
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
19 5.0
Again, if you haven't drove the new Colorado/Canyon, you need to. It is a great truck. Not that the new aluminum F150 and Ecodiesel isn't. What about when the 2005 Mustang won a comparison test against the GTO. The GTO clearly won, but they gave it the Mustang. Do the magazines sometimes pick winners that are odd? Yes. But to say that GM is in their pocket, therefor any findings by them are tainted.
Jesus Christ. The f150 was all new aluminum truck, with direct injected turbo engine yet a small regular steel truck wins based on the f150 being to new? Haha yea ok

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Jesus Christ. The f150 was all new aluminum truck, with direct injected turbo engine yet a small regular steel truck wins based on the f150 being to new? Haha yea ok
I am not taking anything away from the new F150. Its a great truck. But in order to really understand how good the GM twins are, you should go rent one. they are great. I would never buy one, but in their own way, they are awesome.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
We are getting off track though. Going back to all the reviews. It looks like Chevy has delivered on everything that they set out to do. Weight, power, interior, tech, chassis, etc.

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
I am not taking anything away from the new F150. Its a great truck. But in order to really understand how good the GM twins are, you should go rent one. they are great. I would never buy one, but in their own way, they are awesome.

Considering the Colorado and canyon basically destroyed everything in its segment at the time I'd say it was fair. It towed more for better fuel economy, had way more tech, more power etc than any of the other offerings.

As a matter of fact the v6 got better fuel economy than the other offerings 4 cylinder and still produces more than 30hp more than the offerings current v6.

There wasn't a category it didn't win in by a large margin.

You can't say the same about the f150 at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS

See above post. Again, not taking anything away from the new F150.

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
Didnt deliver on exterior or interior from the reviews, so far visibility is still "compromised" and the comments of most all the reviews have all got bunch of "looks like the last gen".
And not gonna call weight a done deal till we see the production runs hit the public, we saw the ATS gain weight after the mag reviews. GM fanbois might want to sit on that before jumping the gun since we know for a fact the ATS gained 100lbs between the Media release and the public release.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Really? It was a comment about what 'hot rodding' is, and skills that are attained practicing the hobby. I think most would agree that doing a head/cam swap does require the use of one's critical thinking skills (an important quality that seems to be dwindling in modern society as a whole) more than bolting on a blower and taking it to a tuner....
I believe I understood you the first time. Now you are restating it and I still think your point is that GM engines are better because it's harder to swap heads and cam than to install a blower. It still makes me smile.

You're an engineer, right? I would think you of all people should be able to see the benefits and flaws in each design, and speak about them objectively...
Yes I am and my coherent electives were all about ICE (not that I remember much more than a snippet or two after all this time). I was as crazy about engines then as I am now - many, many moons later. I would like to be more objective than I am, that's for sure. I think pushrod engines are great and I wish the EPA would keep its nose out. All the auto manufacturers could be making a lot more power if they didn't have to worry about MPG and emissions so much.

I don't really like the complexity of overhead cam engines, but from the driver's seat and as a consumer of a new or slightly used automobile, I enjoy driving a car with a Coyote much more than I enjoy the offering from GM. There's something almost unnatural about how much low end torque and high end power a TiVCT engine can make when you are used to pushrod engines. The pushrod engine just feels dead by comparison because it's too compromised.

Sponsored

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
Its all about who funds the mags the most. Always has been. The clear winner by far for all mags like C&D, MT, R&T etc is chevy. :lol:
Just like to point out that every advertisement on MT website is a GM ad. :lol:

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Didnt deliver on exterior or interior from the reviews, so far visibility is still "compromised" and the comments of most all the reviews have all got bunch of "looks like the last gen".

And not gonna call weight a done deal till we see the production runs hit the public, we saw the ATS gain weight after the mag reviews. GM fanbois might want to sit on that before jumping the gun since we know for a fact the ATS gained 100lbs between the Media release and the public release.

Patiently waiting myself :)

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The Camaro must do well, at this point it is GM's last real hope at sales in the Performance market. I knew the Alpha wasn't doing well overall and it seems they are likely to axe the ATS/CTS if sales don't do something.

Analysts say it's from overpriced products, some say trust was lost and some point to quality issues. It's probably a combination of all 3...

This seems more like Home team support now and rightfully so. If the Camaro can't manage sales like the ATS/CTS, there will be trouble for sure. Unfortunately, the media gives themselves too much credit...

I don't really put faith in magazine results as many of them showed the 5th Gen to be superior... far from the truth... From what I hear, Camaro pre sales were only 1/3 of what the 5th Gens were... That is not a good sign AND, just as the failing ATS, media will not talk about it. People won't buy what other people aren't buying...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
The denial here is strong.

He's not far from the truth... Nothing would indicate the nearly extinct automotive magazine industry is run any differently than any other publisher. In reality, out of ALL those media sources, they all lead back to 2 or 3 publishers. MT, Automobile, Hot Rod, Super Chevy are all owned by the same publisher. C&D/R&T the same..

If the Camaro doesn't blow the Mustang out of the water in these first test, it's in trouble... The ATS-V was put in a similar situation and it failed miserably.

Now, the ATS-V is really no better than the S197 at Laguna, which is embarrassing. The ATS Alpha was also dubbed the "lightweight", yet it is over 100lbs heavier than a GT.

Chevy had convinced the media that the Camaro is built on the same lightweight Alpha the ATS was built on... except... there are some issues now...

First, the Camaro was based on the CTS. Chevy doesn't want to say CTS and Camaro together. Because it is a Full size sedan and it's still kinda heavy. We confirmed here, the Camaro and CTS are one in the same.

Second, the lightweight ATS isn't so lightweight all the sudden. For some reason, the Alpha cars are either gaining 110lbs after advertisement OR, they were just grossly under-estimated.

From what it sounded like, either the GT or SS just barely beat the other. By what they say "an inch". Since I highly doubt GM would hear any of that, the SS's output advantage wasn't enough. As thePill said, some major tire and brake work needs done.

Although, just as previous Camaro's did well in test but kinda sucked everywhere else, MT's numbers will probably be rare. The LT1/Auto combo would scare me and the manual is only 12.4-12.6... It would totally suck to not get that performance and get pulled into the hype.

To me, and I'm sure the media knows more than I do, a well balanced vehicle would typically be closer to the ATS-V's 51/49. After it gets the equipment it needs, the new Camaro is about as balanced as a 2012 Boss 302... and, the media makes no mention of leaving valuable structural reinforcement out and opting for sub-frame connectors.

...I get what the media is trying to do. Maybe they feel the automobile industry would suffer without GM... I don't know... For sure, the Camaro has fallen behind the Mustang and Corvette... Even IF any of these performance stick, the Camaro is just a generation behind. Regardless of what the media tries to help sell you...

Last edited:

BigGuy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Premium
There are a lot of stupid posts in this thread. I love it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.