cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So I have had this same issue. On another thread I updated it. I took her in after in an emergency turn situation. Where the weeds were hiding two people entering a crosswalk. After having to stop fully for them, and trying not to get rear ended. I couldn't take off as my transmission was just spinning without grabbing gear. This was after a 2hr commute and on a slight slope down. This has happened in my works parking garage too when stopping going up the levels.

So I set up an appointment and the transmission was short about 2 pints or a quart of oil. Since then, I have had a much better feel and response from the Transmission.
Sponsored

OP
OP

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 2017 mustang v6, 2008 mustang gt
I will take mine in this week to get the level checked.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
bought car feb 28, 2020. has 711 miles on it now. ive had 2 'no shift' instances thus far. where after a short 15 to 20 min drive, i stop on a mostly level surface, shift to reverse and there is nothing there for 3-5 seconds, then like magic, all is fine, car starts to backup.

also have some occasional harsh downshifts (jerk/thud when downshifting in 1, 2 or 3). it doesnt happen all the time, havent figured out a pattern or anything yet.

have an appointment this afternoon with the dealership to check the fluid level. we'll see what they say

edit: this is all in "D" transmission mode and no paddle shifts. i have not used "S" transmission mode yet. waiting till 1000 miles before i start to hold gears longer and "labor the engine"

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
ok, took car to dealer, nice little service bays they have, can sit right there, full glass wall can see your car being worked on..

anyway, dealership didnt even bat an eye, said sure we'll put it on the lift and check it.. tech came back in about 30 min later and said, it was just over 1/2 quart low.

i asked him if he's seen any others come in that are low on transmission fluid, and he said just about every one of them that comes back in, is low and needs some added in. also asked if he thought my problems could be attributed to it being 1/2 quart low and he said, absolutely.

on the drive home, transmission shifts really smooth now, but i hear this AWFULLY LOUD "WHIIIIIIIRRRRRRR" now, when its shifting gears that i never heard before. going to give it a day before i call them back and see whats up..

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
ok, took car to dealer, nice little service bays they have, can sit right there, full glass wall can see your car being worked on..

anyway, dealership didnt even bat an eye, said sure we'll put it on the lift and check it.. tech came back in about 30 min later and said, it was just over 1/2 quart low.

i asked him if he's seen any others come in that are low on transmission fluid, and he said just about every one of them that comes back in, is low and needs some added in. also asked if he thought my problems could be attributed to it being 1/2 quart low and he said, absolutely.

on the drive home, transmission shifts really smooth now, but i hear this AWFULLY LOUD "WHIIIIIIIRRRRRRR" now, when its shifting gears that i never heard before. going to give it a day before i call them back and see whats up..
Normal sound btw. And I never notice it because I always am listening to music or the motor and air conditioning. Previous Mustang owner who had 200K on the 98 Auto. Nothing from the post sticks out. But good move on the oil level. I did experience my first moment of no take off. Started at a stop light and the car in front braked again. So I let go of the gas then tapped it again when they moved again. For a few revs, it didn't grab. But that was for just a split second. Nothing returned since and the car is much better responsiveness with that filled up missing quart. So, so far so good.

But def do what you feel best about and thanks for the update. I haven't driven to work tho. Since we are quarantined over here.

Sponsored

OP
OP

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about the whining noise these transmissions make. Mine sounds like it’s got a supercharger on it while idling and driving. They say that the noise is normal. Keep us updated on what dealership says.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
Normal sound btw. And I never notice it because I always am listening to music or the motor and air conditioning. Previous Mustang owner who had 200K on the 98 Auto. Nothing from the post sticks out. But good move on the oil level. I did experience my first moment of no take off. Started at a stop light and the car in front braked again. So I let go of the gas then tapped it again when they moved again. For a few revs, it didn't grab. But that was for just a split second. Nothing returned since and the car is much better responsiveness with that filled up missing quart. So, so far so good.

But def do what you feel best about and thanks for the update. I haven't driven to work tho. Since we are quarantined over here.
i was not aware of the TSB and the whine that these transmissions make when i posted that. however afterwards i did find out, that it is indeed normal, and listened to some videos of others..

what is funny though, i heard it over the radio, and exhaust as i was pulling through the parking lot on the way home that evening. thats what had me concerned, it had to have been loud from outside of the car if i could hear it over the radio and exhaust, but when i started up the car the next morning it was not nearly as loud, i listened and could hardly hear the whir. by this time i know the whir, is actually referred to as a "whine" and its normal.

i think its still audible, but not very loud. so im going to guess it was just some weird fluke, maybe there was a bubble(s) that formed when the tech filled it, i dont know but all is well for now

we are "advised" to be socially distant, but not really anyone enforcing anything... yet... a few places closed around here, but the majority are still open.

fingers crossed you guys get your quarantine lifted and life can start to get back to normal, sooner rather than later.

stay safe! stay well!

OP
OP

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
My transmission is really loud it used to bother me now I’m getting used to it. I still need to get my transmission fluid checked it tends to slip a little bit until transmission warms up.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
10R80's are known to delay shifts in lower gears when cold.

They also whine because the pump gears are straight cut.
The shift delay is absolutely normal when cold. 6R80's do the same. The transmission is programmed to shift later, raising engine rpm's, warming up the engine and catalytic converters faster.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
The whine noise is absolutely normal, too. We have a 2019 Expedition in the family with a 10R80 and they sound exactly the same. I actually like the jet-engine turbine type sound.

Sponsored
OP
OP

justinmiles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
Took my car to dealership today and had oil changed for first time and had transmission fluid level checked. They told me my transmission fluid level was on the normal range. So I’m happy it wasn’t low. I’m not gonna worry about it anymore still have a lot of warranty left.

Osiris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Britton
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP 10SPD GT (Osiris)
My A10 has always whined but recently and randomly it got quite a bit louder lol idk why... I am going to check the fluid level and see what's up I guess. It still operates normal.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed mine whining at low speeds. It does kinda sound like straight cut gears. Glad to hear it is normal. Haven't had any weird issues, but tempted to put it up on jack stands to check the fluid level for POM.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've noticed mine whining at low speeds. It does kinda sound like straight cut gears. Glad to hear it is normal. Haven't had any weird issues, but tempted to put it up on jack stands to check the fluid level for POM.
It's because it IS straight cut gears. The oil pump has straight cut gears. In one of the teardown videos on youtube you can see them and the shop even talks about it a little.
Sponsored