Weird 10r80 Shifting Issues

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I have been noticing some weird shifting issues with my car lately. Its completely stock and has always been stock. I drive it soft while warming up and it has around 10k miles on it currently. The most common issue is shifting from Park or (especially) reverse to drive. It shifts very hard and jerks the entire car way harder than it should.

Other issues are shifting under normal acceleration in sport mode with the paddles. My car is a base car so no sport+ or drag modes. It seems to slip pretty good from 1-2 and especially from 4-5 until its been wide open throttle into 5th and then it shifts part throttle fine. I noticed that a while ago but no 3-4 is starting to do the same thing. Also on the 4-5 shift, if it doesn't slip, it will do this weird jerky shift where the car noses over for a second then like fall into 5th gear and then take back off.

I will be taking it into the dealer for them to look at it but I was wondering if anyone else had any issues like these before and what maybe I could tell the dealer to help them diagnose the issues?
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So I have been noticing some weird shifting issues with my car lately. Its completely stock and has always been stock. I drive it soft while warming up and it has around 10k miles on it currently. The most common issue is shifting from Park or (especially) reverse to drive. It shifts very hard and jerks the entire car way harder than it should.

Other issues are shifting under normal acceleration in sport mode with the paddles. My car is a base car so no sport+ or drag modes. It seems to slip pretty good from 1-2 and especially from 4-5 until its been wide open throttle into 5th and then it shifts part throttle fine. I noticed that a while ago but no 3-4 is starting to do the same thing. Also on the 4-5 shift, if it doesn't slip, it will do this weird jerky shift where the car noses over for a second then like fall into 5th gear and then take back off.

I will be taking it into the dealer for them to look at it but I was wondering if anyone else had any issues like these before and what maybe I could tell the dealer to help them diagnose the issues?

When you go to the Dealer, ask the Service Writer if the Master Tech or Shop Foreman can go for a test drive with you before you leave the car. Take the test drive on a length of road or highway where you can safely replicate the problem at X-RPM or X-MPH. Then let the Tech drive it back to the shop so that he can experience it.

It’s better to do that, than to just drop it off and then get the “they couldn’t replicate the problem”....

As far as S550 10R80 issues, I started a thread in the TSB/Issues sub-forum on here specific to the 10R80 that contains all of the known issues. So you can search my User ID in that forum for that informative thread.

Some folks have found that the 10R80 was low on fluid from the factory assembly fill. Others have had their 10R80 module reflashed with the most current software and their shifting issues went away. Extreme early 10R80 reported cases have been bad valve body or failed clutch pack.

OP
OP

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
When you go to the Dealer, ask the Service Writer if the Master Tech or Shop Foreman can go for a test drive with you before you leave the car. Take the test drive on a length of road or highway where you can safely replicate the problem at X-RPM or X-MPH. Then let the Tech drive it back to the shop so that he can experience it.

It’s better to do that, than to just drop it off and then get the “they couldn’t replicate the problem”....

As far as S550 10R80 issues, I started a thread in the TSB/Issues sub-forum on here specific to the 10R80 that contains all of the known issues. So you can search my User ID in that forum for that informative thread.

Some folks have found that the 10R80 was low on fluid from the factory assembly fill. Others have had their 10R80 module reflashed with the most current software and their shifting issues went away. Extreme early 10R80 reported cases have been bad valve body or failed clutch pack.
Thanks for the tips. I had planned on taking them for a drive when I drop it off. I’ll look that thread up today and see what I can find.

I’m not sure what my build date is so not sure if I got an early trans or not. It’s always seemed sluggish shifting out of first in normal auto mode but these problems have started lately and feel like they are getting worse.

It’s not gonna be a good trip for me because I plan to also bring up the dreaded tick/rattle my car has on hot restarts. I know I won’t be getting much accomplished there..

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
I had that same issue and I posted about it on a similar thread. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed that the transmission oil pump was broken and had the wrong transmission fluid from the factory. Once they pulled the transmission there was some excess wear on the parts. They're currently waiting on a new transmission to be put in.

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
mine had the same issues, it was 2 qts low on fluid from the factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had that same issue and I posted about it on a similar thread. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed that the transmission oil pump was broken and had the wrong transmission fluid from the factory. Once they pulled the transmission there was some excess wear on the parts. They're currently waiting on a new transmission to be put in.
mine had the same issues, it was 2 qts low on fluid from the factory.
I assume with the fluid being low/broken parts the problems were worse under wide open throttle shifts?

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
I assume with the fluid being low/broken parts the problems were worse under wide open throttle shifts?
Oddly enough it was only in 4th on wide open throttle shifts that was real rough, other gears seemed ok

OP
OP

Noggles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Oddly enough it was only in 4th on wide open throttle shifts that was real rough, other gears seemed ok
That’s the weird thing with mine. It bangs through the gears I assume, just fine wide open. It’s part throttle that it feels kinda hurt.

subbz

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 2
That’s the weird thing with mine. It bangs through the gears I assume, just fine wide open. It’s part throttle that it feels kinda hurt.
Mine would seemed like it would lag when downshifting to find the right gear when I suddenly go WOT but after that it would go through the gears normally.

SilverUri

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020

Hi, have you found the solution?
Sponsored