Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Is it the RatioTek spring kit you installed? If so, is it the "normal" one or the HD one for boosted cars? I have the hd one in my car. It requires a shim to be installed in the pump which increases the fluid pressure. Im not sure if the standard/normal kit does this. Do you know if the pump was modified at all?
Is regular one.
Problem is. We swapped the valve body and we had still the issue. So not related to it..
Sponsored

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Its insane to me so many of you are chasing internet facts and idiot dealers to try and "fix" the clunky up and down shifts when its all right there in the tune. Just a few table changes and your car will shift like a 90's silverado with a shift kit or a 2023 Mercedes s600... There are both up and downshift tables that allow you to manipulate the RPM at which the car will shift and at what pedal percentage. These values you see are multipliers of the gear's ratio. Example 1st gear at zero pedal for the 1-2 upshift is 300. That would be 300 x 4.69 (1st gear's ratio) = 1407rpm. Thats where your car at virtually no pedal will shift the 1-2.

Then you have shift pressures and TCC lockout settings as well that can all be changed. Those will aid in shift smoothness. Im so surprised Ford is chasing any of these concerns when they themselves have calibrated the 10R80 to shift like this, as well as adapt to different shift patterns depending on the drivers. I really feel bad for most that dont have insight into the car like some of us do. I have a lazy shift tune for when I know Im going to be daily driving the car for a bit. And I have a kill mode tune for when Im at the track. And several other revisions that do various things. No skip shift, being able to roll race with the paddles enabled but still allowing WOT shifting. You name it, its available to be changed. Below is both upshift and downshift tables for "base" normal mode. I have eliminated skip shift in this rev, so the car will gingerly upshift every gear. That alone makes the car feel smoother. I have also raised the shift points in every gear at 85% pedal and on to shift at 7800rpm.

1702761404036.png

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here are the pedal differences between normal mode and drag (sand) mode for premium cars.

1702761529085.png

And Tq converter lockup for both normal mode vs drag mode. All of this is able to be changed.

1702761628484.png

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Here are the pedal differences between normal mode and drag (sand) mode for premium cars.

1702761529085.png

And Tq converter lockup for both normal mode vs drag mode. All of this is able to be changed.

1702761628484.png
Sounds great! How can I do this?
I program cameras, access control, phone sys. Alarms .. ets at work for 23 years .. can I do this??

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sounds great! How can I do this?
I program cameras, access control, phone sys. Alarms .. ets at work for 23 years .. can I do this??
You sure can. All you need is an Hp Tuners MPVI2+ or MPVI3 device from HP Tuners. 4 credits from HP Tuners you can add to your device. Then download the Beta VCM suite of software from the HP Tuners site and you will need a windows laptop. Once you have the device and the credits added to it, you can read out your stock tune from the car using the VCM editor program from that suite. It comes with editor for changing and flashing tunes and VCM scanner for logging the car.

Once you read out the stock tune, you can make your changes and flash it back. There are a number of changes that can be made to even stock cars to help with drivibility as well as getting rid of a lot of tq management that hinders stock performance. Hell you can even adjust the active exhaust how it opens and closes mode by mode.

I would suggest you sign up on the Hp Tuners forum and get reading and asking questions there.

The credits are like $200 and the MPVI3 is like $399.

https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/

Alternatively you can reach out to a tuner and ask that they do these changes for you. Their time will be added cost, if any will do it at all. Most tuners have a premade template or series of templates with tune changes they know work for most cars of the same type, trans and so on. And they wont usually venture out too far from the known good changes to get this custom. But if you can get through the learning curve yourself and have time to play with it, you can really customize the car in just about every way.

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You sure can. All you need is an Hp Tuners MPVI2+ or MPVI3 device from HP Tuners. 4 credits from HP Tuners you can add to your device. Then download the Beta VCM suite of software from the HP Tuners site and you will need a windows laptop. Once you have the device and the credits added to it, you can read out your stock tune from the car using the VCM editor program from that suite. It comes with editor for changing and flashing tunes and VCM scanner for logging the car.

Once you read out the stock tune, you can make your changes and flash it back. There are a number of changes that can be made to even stock cars to help with drivibility as well as getting rid of a lot of tq management that hinders stock performance. Hell you can even adjust the active exhaust how it opens and closes mode by mode.

I would suggest you sign up on the Hp Tuners forum and get reading and asking questions there.

Alternatively you can reach out to a tuner and ask that they do these changes for you. Their time will be added cost, if any will do it at all. Most tuners have a premade template or series of templates with tune changes they know work for most cars of the same type, trans and so on. And they wont usually venture out too far from the known good changes to get this custom. But if you can get through the learning curve yourself and have time to play with it, you can really customize the car in just about every way.
Thank you for the info!… very interesting ..I’m going to research this some more. I’m skeptical of it being as easy as you say it is though.
And what if I’m on an E85 tune or want to run E85?

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Can’t this be done with Forscan, as discussed in this thread - without the need for credits and HPTuners?
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...daptive-learning-transmission-options.190874/

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have been trans tuning with the HP Tuners 10R80 software for nearly 2 years. This is obviously what ZXMustang is referring to.

Just be careful and fully understand what you are doing before you get in over your head.
And by all means do a "Read" and save your stock trans calibration so you can always flash your TCM back to where you started.

I fried my original 10R80 after 7,000 miles boosted. I fully rebuilt mine with the Suncoast full upgrade package that should be good (with proper trans tuning of course) for around 1,000 whp. Not sure I believe this, but I'm only running single digit boost.

Mine works flawlessly after about 6,000 miles from the rebuild date.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have been trans tuning with the HP Tuners 10R80 software for nearly 2 years. This is obviously what ZXMustang is referring to.

Just be careful and fully understand what you are doing before you get in over your head.
And by all means do a "Read" and save your stock trans calibration so you can always flash your TCM back to where you started.

I fried my original 10R80 after 7,000 miles boosted. I fully rebuilt mine with the Suncoast full upgrade package that should be good (with proper trans tuning of course) for around 1,000 whp. Not sure I believe this, but I'm only running single digit boost.

Mine works flawlessly after about 6,000 miles from the rebuild date.
i got ahold of a few different files. Two of which are from the 24 mustang GT and DH both A10. I made templates of all the GT and DH trans settings and applied them to my file. The car ran and shifted great. Smooth as glass. There were some WOT quirks I’m working out but aside from that it was a massive step forward. And ford changed everything in the 24 configs. I also tried a whipple file that was converted over to HP Tuners. The whipple settings worked even better. Smooth as glass and no WOT issues. I’ve been able to take a sampling from many sources and have gotten my car to both drive and shift like it should from the factory. And I have it consistently shifting at WOT at 7800 miles within a few RPM. It’s all in the shift properties and TC settings. That’s where the clunks and flairs can be smoothed out.

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
ZXMustang,

Mind sharing the Whipple file? Would be great to do a camparison.

I too have modifed my TC settings.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
i got ahold of a few different files. Two of which are from the 24 mustang GT and DH both A10. I made templates of all the GT and DH trans settings and applied them to my file. The car ran and shifted great. Smooth as glass. There were some WOT quirks I’m working out but aside from that it was a massive step forward. And ford changed everything in the 24 configs. I also tried a whipple file that was converted over to HP Tuners. The whipple settings worked even better. Smooth as glass and no WOT issues. I’ve been able to take a sampling from many sources and have gotten my car to both drive and shift like it should from the factory. And I have it consistently shifting at WOT at 7800 miles within a few RPM. It’s all in the shift properties and TC settings. That’s where the clunks and flairs can be smoothed out.
This is very cool!
Any other specifics on the DH A10 tune.
Does it skip gears?
In D what speed does it shift into 10th?
I wonder if I can apply this to my Livernois tuned car with going back to stock?

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
This is very cool!
Any other specifics on the DH A10 tune.
Does it skip gears?
In D what speed does it shift into 10th?
I wonder if I can apply this to my Livernois tuned car with going back to stock?
Yes everything is completely different with the DH vs the latest S550 trans settings. PM me your email and I will send you templates of just the shift schedules and then three other templates of the entire DH TCM side of the tune. That way you can apply them quickly and see how it works. Otherwise you cant open the DH file I have without an MPVI2+ or 3 flasher. RTD wont open it.

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here's a screenshot of the base shift schedules and yes it still skips 2nd gear. You can change all that though in the tune.

1704144272733.png

ZXMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
And here is the DH WOT shift schedules by mode. This car wont shift at 7500. Its capped at 7400.

1704144366032.png

1704144503216.png
Sponsored