Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
image0.jpeg

As you can see from the notes, I had the delay from R to D accompanied by a lurch when in forward gear. Harsh shift from 3-4 and 4-5 plus a thunking sound and harsh downshift when coming to a stop. The harsh downshift was when downshifting into 3rd from higher gears. Anyway, these symptoms started when the car had about 22,000 miles. I took the car in and all the dealership did was a KAM reset and it didn't change anything. Since there was no code/check engine light, the tech wouldn't bother looking at the issue and called it normal. 2 years and 21,000 miles later, at 43,700 miles, the WRENCH light comes on and I make an appointment with a different dealer. I spoke with the service advisor, explained to him the symptoms and dropped off the car around 8am and by 2pm I get a call saying everything is taken care of and the car drives as it should. Zero dollars out of my pocket and I have to say, the car drives flawlessly! I am extremely happy to finally have the transmission working like it did when it came off the dealership lot. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

The issue was the output shaft speed sensor which brought up code P0721. This code points to Ford TSB 18-2119 and thus the sensor was replaced under warranty along with 6 quarts of transmission fluid. I am happy to say the joy of driving this car which was missing for so long is back and I cant wait to put more miles on this thing after this fix. Prior this, I would avoid driving the car as the shifts were clunky and made the car jerk forward and back in normal or sport mode, now shifts are fast and do not abrupt the chassis at all.
Great to hear you’re back to having a 10R80 shift like it should! Also thanks for posting your Work Order info, it is definitley helpful to anyone reading this thread now or in the future.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So UPDATE on my 10speed racecar. (Roadcourse)
Little summary
Im on my 3rd tranny. (Car has 16k miles total)
So far and finger crossed the new setup holds well.
I do timetrials but
I tested recently hard for 15mins session with a good pace (and 85f) and the temps where max 214f .

The new setup is
SETRAB COOLER 934 (i have 925 and it was working fine but i wanted to be safe)
My initial mistake with 925 was also to have the inlet and outlet under the cooler so i suspect i had a big air pocket on top.
MCLEOD CLUTCHES
ALLUMINIUM PAN (honestly...doesnt do a lot during the session but cool down faster in between them. Also helpful for daily usage where temps hardy reach 180f cruising)
I also (well my ford dealership tech) drilled holes in the plastic internal pan of the filter to increase flow btw the 2 sides.
This looks to me at the moment the best easier solution for overheating. which is the REAL ISSUE on this tranny (as demostrated by the fact than the mach1 has bigger coolers. )

I have also a water spray system on my coolers. It works well on the engine oil but doesn't do a lot on trans cooler.

THE NEXT STEP IS bypassing the internal thermostat. (F150 has an external one. )
I have bought a used valvebody to test it.
I will start after my NATIONALS on sept 16.
I will keep you posted
Alessandro
@Flyhalf

Always intrigued to hear about your 10R80 tracking experiences. Also thanks for your continued updates as it helps those who are looking to track their 10R80 too!

How do you like the Setrab cooler products as far as quality, design and performance (925)?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
@Flyhalf

Always intrigued to hear about your 10R80 tracking experiences. Also thanks for your continued updates as it helps those who are looking to track their 10R80 too!

How do you like the Setrab cooler products as far as quality, design and performance (925)?
I've been guinea pig for 10r80 for 2 years. I won't give up and I'll keep sharing info :)
Setrab are great quality and the most used product on the racing industry.
So definetely great.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Thank you for the reply! This will help someone 👍🏻
Great to hear you’re back to having a 10R80 shift like it should! Also thanks for posting your Work Order info, it is definitley helpful to anyone reading this thread now or in the future.
Its my pleasure gentlemen. The amount of time and mileage I drove the car with the issues took away the pride and joy of ownership. I was not going to give up and am glad to have this issue resolved. I hope anyone having this issue will have the dealership/tech/service advisor perform this tsb fix before doing anything drastic. I hope this helps everyone facing these symptoms with their 10R80. It made driving the Mustang fun again.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Its my pleasure gentlemen. The amount of time and mileage I drove the car with the issues took away the pride and joy of ownership. I was not going to give up and am glad to have this issue resolved. I hope anyone having this issue will have the dealership/tech/service advisor perform this tsb fix before doing anything drastic. I hope this helps everyone facing these symptoms with their 10R80. It made driving the Mustang fun again.
What model year is your car?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
image0.jpeg

As you can see from the notes, I had the delay from R to D accompanied by a lurch when in forward gear. Harsh shift from 3-4 and 4-5 plus a thunking sound and harsh downshift when coming to a stop. The harsh downshift was when downshifting into 3rd from higher gears. Anyway, these symptoms started when the car had about 22,000 miles. I took the car in and all the dealership did was a KAM reset and it didn't change anything. Since there was no code/check engine light, the tech wouldn't bother looking at the issue and called it normal. 2 years and 21,000 miles later, at 43,700 miles, the WRENCH light comes on and I make an appointment with a different dealer. I spoke with the service advisor, explained to him the symptoms and dropped off the car around 8am and by 2pm I get a call saying everything is taken care of and the car drives as it should. Zero dollars out of my pocket and I have to say, the car drives flawlessly! I am extremely happy to finally have the transmission working like it did when it came off the dealership lot. Fingers crossed it stays this way.

The issue was the output shaft speed sensor which brought up code P0721. This code points to Ford TSB 18-2119 and thus the sensor was replaced under warranty along with 6 quarts of transmission fluid. I am happy to say the joy of driving this car which was missing for so long is back and I cant wait to put more miles on this thing after this fix. Prior this, I would avoid driving the car as the shifts were clunky and made the car jerk forward and back in normal or sport mode, now shifts are fast and do not abrupt the chassis at all.
And for future reference, here's the actual thread that contains the Ford TSB***:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ost-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/#post-2371855

*** All S550 10R80 TSB's can also be found via page 1, Post 1 of this very thread. The TSB/SSM link is in "Fact 2" in the event anyone needs them in the future.

Sleepstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wyoming
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
So that delayed/slow shift from 3rd to 4th at anything over 30% throttle isn't normal? My car shifts okay when just accelerating at a leisurely pace or WOT.. But anything over 30% and below WOT it is herky jerky.
Mine acts like it’s nose diving before the shift in 4-5

Sleepstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wyoming
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
So I have had these problems before in the 3-4 shift in sport mode also in drive mode and it mode dives then shifts I had it repaired at the dealership it was a long repair list mostly burnt clutches etc I will post the paper in here in a bit but I got it back and about 2 weeks later i always drive in sport mode so I know when something is messed up it goes 4-5 hard asf but before this I was cruising it went in neutral some how then 1st gear and kept rolling then this problem occurred

Sleepstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wyoming
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
So that delayed/slow shift from 3rd to 4th at anything over 30% throttle isn't normal? My car shifts okay when just accelerating at a leisurely pace or WOT.. But anything over 30% and below WOT it is herky jerky.
Mine does the same what they do to fix it

Sponsored

Sleepstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wyoming
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
image0.jpeg

Mine makes a chain noice and shifts hard from 4-5 in sport mode if your getting on it but not when you barely pressing the pedal cruising I done had my trans rebuilt for the 3-4 nose dive I didn’t have my car for 3 months and now I’m scared to take it back cause they don’t have any loaners did yours make a chain noise?

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Mine makes a chain noice and shifts hard from 4-5 in sport mode if your getting on it but not when you barely pressing the pedal cruising I done had my trans rebuilt for the 3-4 nose dive I didn’t have my car for 3 months and now I’m scared to take it back cause they don’t have any loaners did yours make a chain noise?
I never heard a chain noise from the transmission. However, I did hear a mechanical noise when I would shift the gears from 1-2 while the car was stationary. That sound is gone after the fix I mentioned. The chain noise you are talking about that my car makes is what I call throttle lift-off chain rattle and you can hear that in the video from this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trying-to-track-this-rattle-down.164906/#post-3355529

Is this the noise you hear as well?

Last edited:

Sleepstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wyoming
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I never heard a chain noise from the transmission. However, I did hear a mechanical noise when I would shift the gears from 1-2 while the car was stationary. That sound is gone after the fix I mentioned. The chain noise you are talking about that my car makes is what I call throttle lift-off chain rattle and you can hear that in the video from this thread:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trying-to-track-this-rattle-down.164906/#post-3355529

Is this the noise you hear as well?
Mine only happens like if I’m driving and I let off the gas then press the gas again or sometimes take off from a start it makes a chain noise I will try to get a video of the noise

Fxmehow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I have a 2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible and it has 6500 kms (Approx. 4100 miles) on it so here is my experience so far with the 10R80 transmission.

This all started happening about three weeks ago and before this started I had zero issues with the transmission, no hard shifts or issues with it going from D to R, haven’t done a burn out with it, no racing or anything as of yet, loved the way it was working.

So the transmission started slipping out of 5th gear and RPM’s would go up 1500 to 1800 RPM and then transmission would slam into 6th gear, this was happening until the transmission temperature goes above 60*C (140*F) to 70*C (160*F). Had an appointment to take the car into dealership the following week after the Sept long weekend to get it looked at, on the weekend we took it out for a drive and it started to do a little more erratic shifting. At hiway speed the transmission would drop out of 10th gear back to 9th gear and RPM’s would go up 3000 rpm and the transmission would shift back into 10th just for a second or so, then shift back down to 9th and back to 10th , this happened approx. 6 times in a row then the wrench light came on and a message on the instrument panel saying to check the manual, on my FordPass I received a notification POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION/REDUCED POWER. Transmission temperature was at 85*C (185*F) got into the city and stopped at the traffic lights, then proceeded and the car would only start out in 5th gear (High RPM to start out along with transmission slipping), decided to turn into a parking lot to stop and retry starting out, car started out in 5th gear. Shut the vehicle off and restarted it and that seemed to reset the ECM/TCM/BCM and the car worked fine.

Decided to take it into the dealership before my appointment and drop it off so they had it and could test drive it cold. Tech did road test and confirmed trans slipping on 5-6 upshift, checked fluid level and condition and both OK, KOEO found code P2703. Followed pin point test AC1 found main controller faulty, dropped the pan replaced main controller assembly, new filter and oil cleared code and retested system and it passed, updated solenoid ID and strategy and cleared trans adaptive learn and test drove to verify all is good.

Got the call the car was ready to pick up so next day go and pick it up, leave dealership and didn’t make it a block away trying to get across a busy street car stops moving so I shift into neutral and back into drive and all I have is 10th gear so I get on the throttle to get the car moving and get the wrench light coming on again POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION/REDUCED POWER, do a U-turn and go back to the service department, drive into the bay and don’t shut the car down, give it back to service adviser and he drives it to the tech to look at again, he was busy on a F150 transmission, so the adviser parks it and try’s to back up and it has no reverse now either. The tech pulls the transmission out of the car and disassembles it and find a couple O-ring seals pinched so they order replacement parts and the tranny is reassembled and reinstalled in the car and retested.

I get a call from the service adviser that once the transmission is put back in the car and the tech tries to confirm the repair that it is still the same as before….a NO GO condition and from what I’m told the technician has gone through all the steps in the Ford service manual and they are at a loss now as to what to do next so now as of Friday they have reached out to Ford Engineering for help………..And here I sit and wait. I’m sure it’s going to take a while for Ford to get back to them. Good thing it isn’t my daily driver but in my part of the world there is only a few more weeks to drive it before it goes back up on the storage hoist.

Takeshi

Threads
Reaction score
United States : Cali land of the $1 Gas Tax
First Name
Alias: Takeshi
Vehicle(s)
2019 Liquid Shadow 401A PP1 MagneRide Borla ATAK
I am seeing the below issue as mention by @Cobrajet on my Mustang.

1) Harsh, clunky or jerky downshifts - usually most present during the 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift in Normal trans mode and can be more harsh when in Sport trans mode.

I brought it in to the Dealer today to take a look and fix it under warranty today. The noted it on paper to Ford as :
"Customer States the transmission jerks when using sport mode while downshifting".

The Fix and Response From Ford & Service Advisor : Ford as put out a service bulletin : "This is expected behavior. "

Does anyone have any good recommendations or rebuttals to bring up to the service advisor to escalate this case? Should I give up and live with the rough harsh down-shifts from 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 for the rest of the car's ownership?
Sponsored