Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

stephs5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephanie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am seeing the below issue as mention by @Cobrajet on my Mustang.

1) Harsh, clunky or jerky downshifts - usually most present during the 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift in Normal trans mode and can be more harsh when in Sport trans mode.

I brought it in to the Dealer today to take a look and fix it under warranty today. The noted it on paper to Ford as :
"Customer States the transmission jerks when using sport mode while downshifting".

The Fix and Response From Ford & Service Advisor : Ford as put out a service bulletin : "This is expected behavior. "

Does anyone have any good recommendations or rebuttals to bring up to the service advisor to escalate this case? Should I give up and live with the rough harsh down-shifts from 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 for the rest of the car's ownership?
This exact same thing happened to me
Sponsored

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey all, just signed up to say thank you for this amazing thread. Picked up my 2018 GT a few weeks ago here in the UK. Noticed straight away, jerking when I select drive. Like being hit from behind. And jerky shifts in drive for 2-3 up shift and 4-3 down shift. Car has roughly 18k miles on it.

Printed out a lot of info from here, armed with the knowledge, I went to the local dealer. Took the tech out in the car as well. Reproduced the issue. Thankfully! Usually you take a car in to the dealer and it behaves itself haha.

I wasn't filled with too much confidence though initally; got the usual "it's normal" or "could be down to road conditions" and "we might not be able to do anything" but I stuck to my guns and said, it's well documented online and here is the info. Please can you check and update ECM and TCM because the car is 3 years old and has no service history (it has never been to a main delear) so probably just needs an update.

Two days later, get a call, car is sorted. They did update the software for both components (engine module and trans module) and boom, car is perfect. :)

No jerky drive engagement. Gears are buttery smooth. It actually seems to rev match better and when going from neutral to drive and reverse etc you can hear the revs change. Before, they seemed to die and then the car would lurch forward.

Sadly they wouldn't give me a copy of the work sheet. So can't share the "official" wording.

Cheers!
James

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
That is preliminary results of my REAL bypass for 10r80
Is preliminary. 100miles done.
Max temp 110f
Driving highway around 70mph.
Also hitted some traffic
When got the car back after allignment
Temp was 116f after lomg time idling.

When back to highway at 70mph temp dropped to 98f.

So yes it keeps flow opens 24-7.

Sunday first roadcourse test.
Fingers crossed.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Max temp 110f
Also hitted some traffic

Sunday first roadcourse test.
Fingers crossed.

these numbers are really low. great job

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Max temp 110f
Also hitted some traffic

Sunday first roadcourse
What was outside air temp. Video had IAT 55 I think? Mine will run that cold causing as well when it is cold outside. I see you got a bypass.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Outside 52.
On the way back (no video) was 63.
But same temp. The trans would reach 180 without by pass. We will see on track :)

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Outside 52.
On the way back (no video) was 63.
But same temp. The trans would reach 180 without by pass. We will see on track :)
Never drove mine in cold temps prior to the bypass, so i don't have any data. In the 90s it now runs in the 130s cruising and in the 50s/60s around 100. I haven't really checked in between to see if it is linear, but I doubt it is at the hotter temps. I only do the straight line racing and the trans temps don't go up at all anymore. But I haven't gotten to really abuse it yet in high temps. I would think at a minimum it should at least give you more time before it overheats.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Today 41 OAT, trans temp low 80s while cruising. Seems somewhat linear, OAT+40ish while in cruise.

Mach1soldier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 f150 EB
Would you share how you did the bypass? Or what part you used?

Sponsored

Rubyred20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt automatic
Hey guys, I just finished changing my transmission fluid in my 2019 gt a10. I did all the steps which included, dropping pan and draining all oil out and replacing the filter. Started the initial fill of 5 quarts and seen it was right below the A mark (which is where it needs to be cold) started the car ran through each gear 10 to 20 seconds each. Went back down and the dip stick was dry. Check it three times with the engine running and not running. Still dry. Added a few more quarts and it finally started reading correctly. But when I shift from reverse to neutral to drive then back to neutral it clunks hard when I shift back to neutral from drive. The last time I did these steps as I was going to park is sounded like something was grinding like some gears or something. So I just quit. Fluid level is still where it needs to be but does any know why it would be clunking when shift to neutral from drive or making grinding nosies when trying to throw it in park. Did I over fill? I’ve watched videos where they fill it cold right under the mark so when it gets to temp it’s at the correct spot. I’m just afraid to drive it and Ruin my transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sugma5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GianLuc
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt premium performance pack
Yes. I took delivery of my 2018 new in Feb 2018, as of last night it’s just ticked over 35.5k.
Ok so this is my first time joining any vehicle thread but I wanted to put this message out that I sent to my wife. Her 2019 mustang gt premium PP1 is having sporadic transmission issues. But they are reoccurring and I'm becoming concerned. This vehicle has roughly 31k miles. Here is the message that I sent her with the information I know first hand. Curious if anyone else has heard or noticed similar things from their 10R80.

Misses occasional shift when on throttle and has even hit redline due to this

Rough shifting in low gears

Misses 4th gear often within 1 minute or two after cold starts then jerks hard when it bites

Quiet rattle noise when doing between 25 to 35 in 3rd gear and feathering throttle off and on. Typically after a cold start - sounds like the transmission is engaging but rattling. Very small window between no throttle and light throttle

Transmission banged hard twice on road trip when downshifting on the interstate from 9th to 6th gear. Felt like the driveline may fall out due to the rear diff jamming on the downshift. Was very concerned about this happening at the time

Would like tech to check trans fluid level - heard rumors on forums that they leave the factory low some times and I am concerned this could be an issue for us given the many issues the transmission has had intermittently

Note: most issue arrise after a cold start but the highway shifting problem was during a road trip car was warmed up after a good 6 hours on the road. Only happened twice. But it was back to back.

GP70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Hey guys, I just finished changing my transmission fluid in my 2019 gt a10. I did all the steps which included, dropping pan and draining all oil out and replacing the filter. Started the initial fill of 5 quarts and seen it was right below the A mark (which is where it needs to be cold) started the car ran through each gear 10 to 20 seconds each. Went back down and the dip stick was dry. Check it three times with the engine running and not running. Still dry. Added a few more quarts and it finally started reading correctly. But when I shift from reverse to neutral to drive then back to neutral it clunks hard when I shift back to neutral from drive. The last time I did these steps as I was going to park is sounded like something was grinding like some gears or something. So I just quit. Fluid level is still where it needs to be but does any know why it would be clunking when shift to neutral from drive or making grinding nosies when trying to throw it in park. Did I over fill? I’ve watched videos where they fill it cold right under the mark so when it gets to temp it’s at the correct spot. I’m just afraid to drive it and Ruin my transmission. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have a update on your issues?

I was going to do the same procedure as you have done when replacing my fluid. It has been done successfully from what I have seen on video's.

Rubyred20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt automatic
Do you have a update on your issues?

I was going to do the same procedure as you have done when replacing my fluid. It has been done successfully from what I have seen on video's.
Yes. I did the Initial cold fill with it on jack stands. I learned it’s best after you do the initial fill and everything. To drop it off the stands flat in the ground. Go through each gear for at least 10 seconds each and just wait for the temp to rise to operating temp or you can drive around I just waited. After that I very carefully checked it because it so close to the dang exhaust you’ll end up burning yourself like I did lol. I had to add a tad bit more after it warmed up but all good now and shifts so much more smoothly. Be prepared to fight with the fill plug in the transmission. Mine was hell to get off. If have questions on how I got the fill plug off if you’re unable too. I’d be happy to explain how I figured out doing it.

GP70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Yes. I did the Initial cold fill with it on jack stands. I learned it’s best after you do the initial fill and everything. To drop it off the stands flat in the ground. Go through each gear for at least 10 seconds each and just wait for the temp to rise to operating temp or you can drive around I just waited. After that I very carefully checked it because it so close to the dang exhaust you’ll end up burning yourself like I did lol. I had to add a tad bit more after it warmed up but all good now and shifts so much more smoothly. Be prepared to fight with the fill plug in the transmission. Mine was hell to get off. If have questions on how I got the fill plug off if you’re unable too. I’d be happy to explain how I figured out doing it.
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Yes I heard it is very difficult to get the fill plug off. How did you manage to get it off?
Sponsored