10R80, Boost & Ford TSB

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After 21K trouble-free miles my 10R80 has begun having issues. Started with a 5 - 6 flare (free rev between gears), then progressed to a violent slam shift on the 3 - 4. Went 14K miles NA, and just over 6K boosted.

Problem does not occur all the time, and only acts up at lite, part throttle. Trans does not slip.

Ford dealers will not even talk to me about doing a TSB at my expense, because I have a tune and FI.

My tuner says the TSB and even a Ford transmission software update will work fine with the current tune.

Local transmission shop I contacted to have the TSB done (I would supply the TSB) said no way.

So seems I am stuck with a temperamental tranny that behaves like a kid with the terrible 2's.

Any advice?
Sponsored

Mike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Spend the money: Midnight performance or Beefcake or Richardson performance.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't think a "typical" Ford dealer doesn't want to deal with any potential issues if the car starts running wonky.

I have a new Ford VIN matched valve body on the way. Trying to find out if I need to access the Motorcraft database to access the "Solenoid Shift Strategy" software. This is supposedly needed for ensuring proper solenoid pressure and function with my car with the new valve body.

I am going to see if the "Learning Strategy" can be switched off as well. But going to do one step at a time.

I have no issue spending what it takes to get this right. But if it can be fixed without a full rebuild, then I'm all in.

I can fully rebuild the trans with upgraded parts in a worse case scenario. I did trans work for years back in the late 80's through the 90's.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I don't think a "typical" Ford dealer doesn't want to deal with any potential issues if the car starts running wonky.

I have a new Ford VIN matched valve body on the way. Trying to find out if I need to access the Motorcraft database to access the "Solenoid Shift Strategy" software. This is supposedly needed for ensuring proper solenoid pressure and function with my car with the new valve body.

I am going to see if the "Learning Strategy" can be switched off as well. But going to do one step at a time.

I have no issue spending what it takes to get this right. But if it can be fixed without a full rebuild, then I'm all in.

I can fully rebuild the trans with upgraded parts in a worse case scenario. I did trans work for years back in the late 80's through the 90's.
I have a thread in here somewhere how to do it with forscan

Sponsored

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
andrewtac,

My son has a forscan. If you can reference the link I would appreciate it. Or how it's done using the forscan.