Sponsored

101K Mile Motor. What should I worry about.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Because stock cams with 18 manifold the power will fall hard after 74-7500.

You need a CJ or cams to efficiently pull to 8000+
Ah, I looked at some more dyno graphs and see what you mean about the fall after 7,500. Although depending on gearing it may be beneficial to still rev to 7,800 or even 8,000. Idk ill talk to my tuner about it.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
I won't be able to see the cams or the timing chains LMAO.
Look at the picture attached...

With a borescope I can just pull out the spark plugs and check the cylinders...

Why be so rude when you don't know what you are talking about?

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
I'm not sure how you took my comment as rude.

The valve covers nor timing cover has to come off for the intake manifold swap. I have already done all of this myself including oil pump gears and crank sprocket, twin turbos, fuel system, etc. Clearly it's you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I'm not sure how you took my comment as rude.

The valve covers nor timing cover has to come off for the intake manifold swap. I have already done all of this myself including oil pump gears and crank sprocket, twin turbos, fuel system, etc. Clearly it's you that doesn't know what they're talking about.
You are right my bad. Don’t know why I mistook the valve covers for the intake manifold.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
Why be so rude when you don't know what you are talking about?
I don't think he was being rude. You specifically said "what should I check while I have the mani off of the car". None of that other stuff can be done just because you have the manifold off of the car. He was correct

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I don't think he was being rude. You specifically said "what should I check while I have the mani off of the car". None of that other stuff can be done just because you have the manifold off of the car. He was correct
Ya I don’t know why I started thinking of the valve covers, he is right.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
From what I’ve seen the porting does give more top end. And from what I’ve seen even if it starts to drop, it isn’t tanking after 7,500. Maybe I’ll put it on a dyno but I don’t see why the manifold would make me only want to run it to 7,600.
This is on a Gen 2 engine so it’s more of an appropriate comparison. Most of your gains will be in the mid range, and the little that it helps up top helps it above 7000 but there’s no reason to rev to 8k with that setup. As others have stated, cams and a cobra jet are needed for 8k to be usable and worth it.

4731B4C8-2F0D-46D7-B04C-04D85EF0EE08.png

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
This is on a Gen 2 engine so it’s more of an appropriate comparison. Most of your gains will be in the mid range, and the little that it helps up top helps it above 7000 but there’s no reason to rev to 8k with that setup. As others have stated, cams and a cobra jet are needed for 8k to be usable and worth it.

4731B4C8-2F0D-46D7-B04C-04D85EF0EE08.png
I looked up some graphs with a gen2 and ported 2018 and they showed no quite as bad of a drop off as that graphs leads us to believe. I’ll probably end up putting the car on a dyno after the mods and I’ll see how bad it is.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Just asking for things I should be looking for. Not asking for a list of parts to throw at it.

For example should I check the cylinder walls? What are common things that fail that I should check? How do I check that my block is holding up fine. Do I have to worry about my cams, or valves, or etc.
Just saying what's going to take to get 8k, was not a suggestion, you want 8k that's your answer
Nothing else

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Just saying what's going to take to get 8k, was not a suggestion, you want 8k that's your answer
Nothing else
What I was meaning was how to make sure the car won’t blow up when revving to 8k. Are you saying if I don’t get cams the car will break?

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What I was meaning was how to make sure the car won’t blow up when revving to 8k. Are you saying if I don’t get cams the car will break?
Rev limiter will do that, I misunderstand/misread your post, no worry .

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Rev limiter will do that, I misunderstand/misread your post, no worry .
Yes I try to stay away from the rev limiter. And your good, cams is would complete the N/A build but they are expensive lmao

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Dump the car then. The engine is the last thing to fail you will go through thousands of dollars in other items first.

Remember these engines are pulling 300K miles in pick up trucks.
Truck engines also aren’t revving to 7,500 multiple times a day.

If you think that there is nothing I can check and prevent to help keep the engine going then okay.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Yeah but most of them get bagged, with poor maintenace, and many have stressful life hauling heavy stuff.

Get an oil and trans fluid analysis and ask the dealer if any TSB or service items that should also be in the manual.
It’s all good an maintenance. Next oil change is coming up so I may cut the filter apart and do an oil analysis.
Sponsored