Sponsored

101K Mile Motor. What should I worry about.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I have 101K miles on my 2015 mustang. Currently just have a tune, but am getting headers, ported 2018 intake, and 47lb injectors.

What should I worry about with the engine / what should I check. Currently revving the car to 7,500 but may discuss 8,000 with my tuner (because of the new manifold).

I know everyone says oil pump gears. But what should I be focused on as my motor gets older. What should I check while I have the manifold off? Should I do a new oil pump and new oil pump gears and crank sprocket? I beat the shit out of this car every time I drive it and I would like it to last lmao.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe don't fix shit that ain't broke, inspect it yes, throw parts at & in it, not wise. 100k bottom end maybe, that starts making noise. A rebuild will find anything thing else at that time.

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Dont bother about revving to 8k. The ported 18 is great for the gen2 cars, but the porting doesn't give it any more top end than a stock 18+ mani already has, just gives you more midrange meat. 18 mani runs out of steam around 7600

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I'd think about the timing chains and guides with it pushing over 100k.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Want 8k, need cam.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I wouldn't worry about it if hasn't broken yet probably won't can always get another engine from car-part.com.

The pump gears and sprocket are good idea probably a chain as well.
The hope is I catch parts wearing down before the engine shits itself

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Dont bother about revving to 8k. The ported 18 is great for the gen2 cars, but the porting doesn't give it any more top end than a stock 18+ mani already has, just gives you more midrange meat. 18 mani runs out of steam around 7600
From what I’ve seen the porting does give more top end. And from what I’ve seen even if it starts to drop, it isn’t tanking after 7,500. Maybe I’ll put it on a dyno but I don’t see why the manifold would make me only want to run it to 7,600.

Sponsored
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Maybe don't fix shit that ain't broke, inspect it yes, throw parts at & in it, not wise. 100k bottom end maybe, that starts making noise. A rebuild will find anything thing else at that time.
Just asking for things I should be looking for. Not asking for a list of parts to throw at it.

For example should I check the cylinder walls? What are common things that fail that I should check? How do I check that my block is holding up fine. Do I have to worry about my cams, or valves, or etc.

illadvised

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian Spilner
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - 6R80 - Paxton 2200SL
I have a 2015 also, and hit 100k miles in the same week that I installed a paxton supercharger. Now it has more mileage and still runs like new. I beat the crap out of my car, I treat it worse than most people treat rentals.

Everyone's right, that motor has just finished breaking in. Imo there's no reason to replace any major parts that are not broken. I see a lot of stories of aftermarket cs and oil pump gears breaking, a lot more than I hear about stock. Are you going to add boost down the road?

In my opinion, no reason to replace random OEM parts that work fine right now. Any time you touch, upgrade and replace OEM parts, there's a chance you can put it back together wrong or break a bolt etc. I'd personally just stick with regular routine maintenance like fluids/bushings etc. It is a reliable and rugged motor, anything you replace now ahead of time is just a gamble. If that part never goes bad, then it is just wasted money that could've gone towards saving up for a new short block when it's actually needed down the road. It's a high mileage daily driver, so at a certain point that motor will have to come out of the car to be rebuilt or replaced; or the vehicle will get totaled in an accident. Don't overspend when you don't have to!

Your transmission fluid needs to be delt with around 100k if I am not mistaken tho.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
I have a 2015 also, and hit 100k miles in the same week that I installed a paxton supercharger. Now it has more mileage and still runs like new. I beat the crap out of my car, I treat it worse than most people treat rentals.

Everyone's right, that motor has just finished breaking in. Imo there's no reason to replace any major parts that are not broken. I see a lot of stories of aftermarket cs and oil pump gears breaking, a lot more than I hear about stock. Are you going to add boost down the road?

In my opinion, no reason to replace random OEM parts that work fine right now. Any time you touch, upgrade and replace OEM parts, there's a chance you can put it back together wrong or break a bolt etc. I'd personally just stick with regular routine maintenance like fluids/bushings etc. It is a reliable and rugged motor, anything you replace now ahead of time is just a gamble. If that part never goes bad, then it is just wasted money that could've gone towards saving up for a new short block when it's actually needed down the road. It's a high mileage daily driver, so at a certain point that motor will have to come out of the car to be rebuilt or replaced; or the vehicle will get totaled in an accident. Don't overspend when you don't have to!

Your transmission fluid needs to be delt with around 100k if I am not mistaken tho.
Ya I did the transmission fluid at 91k.

I’m more asking because I’m going to be taking off the intake manifold I have the chance to check out the cams, the cylinders, chains, etc. I was asking what should I be looking for to see what may be going bad. Hope is to catch bad parts before they go bad.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Ya I did the transmission fluid at 91k.

I’m more asking because I’m going to be taking off the intake manifold I have the chance to check out the cams, the cylinders, chains, etc. I was asking what should I be looking for to see what may be going bad. Hope is to catch bad parts before they go bad.
Unless you're pulling off a lot more than necessary, you won't be able to see any of the items you mentioned. Just install the manifold with a new tune and keep driving...

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Unless you're pulling off a lot more than necessary, you won't be able to see any of the items you mentioned. Just install the manifold with a new tune and keep driving...
Edit: I’m retarded. Wazslow is right don’t know why I started thinking of the valve covers…

I won't be able to see the cams or the timing chains LMAO.
Look at the picture attached...

With a borescope I can just pull out the spark plugs and check the cylinders...

Why be so rude when you don't know what you are talking about?

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: