Racer329

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
You're F'd. Trade it in on a GT500
Sounds like a plan to tell the wife. I like it.
I'm with you. I haven't kept track of milage on a car in 10 years. Haven't owned a car without a "maintaince minder" in that time. I routinely keep them well into the 200k mile range.
Sold an '06 Ridgeline with over 250k and no oil issues. My current cars are all over 100k. '12 Edge @ 225k, '14 Fusion @ 112k and the Mustang @ 103k. No problems with any of them, just change the oil when the dash says to.

What I don't understand is how the OP managed to ignore the dash warning? It comes on at 12 months or whenever it thinks milage is reached. Both of those things should have triggered the pop-up warning every time the car was started. Why would you ignore that?
Yeah the pop up was annoying for some time. I didn’t hit 10k miles until a month or two ago. I’ll definitely monitor for consumption from now on. If there were signs of it prior, dealer never mentioned it.
As long as you don't plan to drive it for the long-term you'll be fine. 👍

I do my oil changes every 5K, since I plan to drive it for the long-term.
10 Year 125k Ford Extended Warranty. If it goes kaboom owell I guess. I’m just going to give it to my kid when he turns 16 in a few years.
Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
That’s basically how my cousin destroyed his 2012 GT. Let the interval go to 10k which, whatever there’s worse things you can do but for gods sake man you gotta make sure there’s enough oil in the crankcase.
He bought a new engine from the dealer and they claimed it was defective and spun a bearing immediately. He then got an offer from them to buy it off him and he bought a gt350. He’s a happy man

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
10 Year 125k Ford Extended Warranty. If it goes kaboom owell I guess. I’m just going to give it to my kid when he turns 16 in a few years.
eah the pop up was annoying for some time. I didn’t hit 10k miles until a month or two ago. I’ll definitely monitor for consumption from now on. If there were signs of it prior, dealer never mentioned it.
Hello; Forgive my pessimism. A thing about warranties is having evidence to show you complied with regular and/or required maintenance. Receipts for oil changes and such. During a warranty period i keep receipts for lubricants such as oil. If you had the oil changed at a shop keep the receipt. A potential problem may be having no proof of an earlier oil change.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Even if you don't change your oil often, at least check the level and top off. 😅

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I know, right ! I’m ok with 10k and that’s my limit.
The crazy part about the Porsche 20k OCI is I believe the dealers will say “Nope” and turn away customers that request early oil changes when under factory warranty….

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
I know, right ! I’m ok with 10k and that’s my limit.
The crazy part about the Porsche 20k OCI is I believe the dealers will say “Nope” and turn away customers that request early oil changes when under factory warranty….
Same with Toyota. 10k interval. From new I changed the oil at 500mi. Went in at 5000mi for free oil change, they said come back at 10k. I changed it myself then went back at 10k. Then just repeated that pattern. The only downside to shortening the OCI is cost IMO.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Tried a search of Porsche 20K oil change. Did not find much in the way of text. Did find a Hendricks site showing recommended intervals OF 10,000 miles. Saw some text recommending yearly. Would appear 12 months is a limit but I am not sure.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
That’s basically how my cousin destroyed his 2012 GT. Let the interval go to 10k which, whatever there’s worse things you can do but for gods sake man you gotta make sure there’s enough oil in the crankcase.
He bought a new engine from the dealer and they claimed it was defective and spun a bearing immediately. He then got an offer from them to buy it off him and he bought a gt350. He’s a happy man
LOL the 10K interval had nothing to do with your cousin destroying the engine. Most likely lack of oil or other reason. My 2014 GT I bought brand new I put 130K miles changing oil very 10K per the manual with MC synthetic blend. No issues, ran like a champ, did not burn any oil. Did an oil analysis at 120K (10K on oil) it was perfect.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just don't make a habit of it. BMW with the E92 M3 had 10-15k mile oil changes, or once per year, with the 10W60 oil that car had and almost 9 quarts of oil. Then BMW wondered why rod bearing would give out at 60k miles.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Just don't make a habit of it. BMW with the E92 M3 had 10-15k mile oil changes, or once per year, with the 10W60 oil that car had and almost 9 quarts of oil. Then BMW wondered why rod bearing would give out at 60k miles.
I’m surprised it made it to 60k

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
LOL the 10K interval had nothing to do with your cousin destroying the engine. Most likely lack of oil or other reason. My 2014 GT I bought brand new I put 130K miles changing oil very 10K per the manual with MC synthetic blend. No issues, ran like a champ, did not burn any oil. Did an oil analysis at 120K (10K on oil) it was perfect.
If you read what i posted, i said he ran it to 10k and didn't check his oil level i.e. his engine burned oil. If you run it that far you need to check it lol.

edit: i can see i didn't make that clear in my post. carry on! also context i didn't bother to add, he was pretty darn rough on the engine, multiple no lift shifts a day, constant redlining.. he definitely drove it as Ford intended lmao.

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
This suggestion will not be conclusive. From now on keep track of oil consumption. After a time you will get an idea of how low the oil level did get during those extra 12 K miles. May or may not be a comfort.
I am still a 3000 mile oil change sort. I have stretched to a bit over 4000K miles with good synthetic.
FOUR MILLION MILES, Wow, I'm Impressed! :shock:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Agree that oil consumption is the more concerning part

also damn that’s long oil change interval! I freak out when I get near 5500 miles.
Not really, lots of these cars burn oil. Mine burns a quart every 2k or something around there. In my case I don't even think it's mechanical, there's zero difference in burn rate between 5W20 and 5W30. It's only engine braking/downshifting that seems to do it from the increased vacuum. If I drive 2000 normal highway miles there's literally zero consumption lol. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it's never changed since new so :crazy:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Hello; Tried a search of Porsche 20K oil change. Did not find much in the way of text. Did find a Hendricks site showing recommended intervals OF 10,000 miles. Saw some text recommending yearly. Would appear 12 months is a limit but I am not sure.
IMG_2947.png

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
With a modern engine and synthetic oil, I don't think you did any long-term harm. :whew: Several oil and filter manufacturers have designed their products to go as far between changes.

As others have mentioned, I'd be more concerned of running any vehicle low on oil. I'd want to track this closely, to confirm if it is a leak, burning or both and so it doesn't run low again.

If you haven't done so already, I'd visually inspect everything under hood and under car, check fluids (oil, coolant, brake), manually check tires with a gauge and visually inspect the battery. Make a calendar reminder to check fluids and tires once a month. :idea:

I'd sit down with the Owners Manual and review the Maintenance Schedule forwards and backwards, to ensure you haven't lapsed on anything else. :inspect:
Sponsored

Last edited: