Sponsored

1/2 impact wrench socket question

fpGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Dodge Viper RT10, 09 Mercedes AMG C63, 18 Shelby GT350
The only time I use an impact wrench is during pit stops in a competitive environment. I don't use an impact wrench any other time because it can knock the crap out of your wheels, your lug nuts, and it strips the threads on your wheel studs. Use a breaker bar to break them loose while the car is on the ground, then lift car and use a battery powered driver to spin them off carefully. I have no problem breaking loose by hand from 150 ft. lbs. on my GT350.
Sponsored

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
I use the shop impact to take them off, I spin them back on to start the threads and use the impact to just suck them up and finish with torque wrench.
I use impact sockets I got from Lowe’s in the singles drawer where you can just buy the size you need rather than an entire set.
I buy a couple and throw one in my box and one in my trunk or glovebox so I always have it when I go to change the oil and rotate tires

Last edited:

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not gonna lie. I've used non impact sockets before. But not anymore. Guess I was lucky I never got hurt.

I also make sure I am always wearing eye protection when working on the car as well.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I use the shop impact to take them off, I spin them back on to start the threads and use the impact to just suck them up and finish with torque wrench.
I use impact sockets I got from Lowe’s in the singles draw where you can just buy the size you need rather than an entire set.
I buy a couple and throw one in my box and one in my trunk or glovebox so I always have it when I go to change the oil and rotate tires
I could read your Boston accent there....'draw'

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just relieve the lug nut torque by hand with a bar. Impact guns are loud as shit, so the less ear damage i can expose myself to the better. Its also easier on the lugs and studs in the long run.

Also in regards to the tool question, its almost impossible to find reasonably priced American made tools now. A lot of my tools are from Tawian and seem to hold up OK. I'm not a professional but I've done my fair share of jobs.

Sponsored

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
Also in regards to the tool question, its almost impossible to find reasonably priced American made tools now. A lot of my tools are from Tawian and seem to hold up OK. I'm not a professional but I've done my fair share of jobs.
Yeah I agree. I even have some sockets I got from my father that were made in Japan.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
True. But it's harder to pick up loose women if your face looks like a wrinkled shirt. :)
Women don’t care what’s on the outside. It’s what’s on the inside that counts, how big your

pocket ‘book’ is ;)

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I also use an impact to remove lug nuts, and a standard socket.
Triger the impact, short burst.
Hammering the lug nut until it gives way not so great. Short triggering the impact hits harder every time.
Long/holding trigger pulls the force bleeds down as
pressure is used.

In other words, more force applied @ 180 psi, less and noticeable if paying attention, @ 140 when recovery begins

Just saying

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don’t even “shop” for tools anymore....if I need something that touches or turns a nut or s bolt, I go straight to the Snap-On catalog.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t even “shop” for tools anymore....if I need something that touches or turns a nut or s bolt, I go straight to the Snap-On catalog.

Me also have everything I need hand tools, air tools & machines
Sponsored